Monday after Purdue is going to be interesting

knapplc

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nope. I just thought Riley deserved a chance. I gave him one for 2.2 seasons. 

There's really nothing laughable about this season, but there is something vaguely amusing about certain posters doing a 180 on Nebraska's talent level, the quality of our opposition, the single plays that could have won the game, and the patience required to turn this thing around. 

We're all in on Scott Frost. That's going to make this easier.. But there has been some goalpost moving to accommodate this unfortunate start. 

Really? I seem to remember almost the same things being said in Riley's first season. If this was Frost's third season, then I think you'd have a stronger argument.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nope. I just thought Riley deserved a chance. I gave him one for 2.2 seasons. 

There's really nothing laughable about this season, but there is something vaguely amusing about certain posters doing a 180 on Nebraska's talent level, the quality of our opposition, the single plays that could have won the game, and the patience required to turn this thing around. 

We're all in on Scott Frost. That's going to make this easier.. But there has been some goalpost moving to accommodate this unfortunate start. 

I think the biggest difference in why most are profoundly less concerned about Frost is simple......

His resume' and credentials are greatly superior to Riley's.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

I think the biggest difference in why most are profoundly less concerned about Frost is simple......

I am 1000% percent in on Frost and willing to go 7 years for him to show a good turnaround.

At the same time, I'm removed enough to see a bit of irony in the fact that Frost and his secondary mentor (T.O. being first) are both 0-3 so far this year.  Neither uses a fullback.  So we need to bring Frank back for a celebration, bring back the fullback (at least one trap play per game) and sacrifice a chicken.  Then we'll be right as rain.  Or we just wait for the turnaround to take hold.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, jsneb83 said:

The "desire to excel" part often gets forgotten. If you have no fear of failure, but are constantly failing at the same things, are you really desiring to excel?

Great point and I agree.  People always talk about muscle memory and how many repetitions it takes to make it "natural" or habit forming.  If you continually make the same mistake going 100 mph and then shown the correct way, but continually to make the mistake you're not learning..

.To point out Young. Several times the last few games he appears to make the first wrong step and corrects.  It would appear that through his incorrect repetitive movement in games, that's what he defaults to.  Could this be how he was taught under Bray?  How do you "undo" bad programming?  

I still don’t get this rule as far as transfers go.  If a guy leaves after 4 games he can still redshirt this year but not join another team until the Spring. Won’t he still have to sit a year for the new team?

The way I’m understanding the rule (obviously incorrectly) a player should want to play beyond the four games so he could have a redshirt available the year he’s sitting at the new school.

On 9/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, PlzCoolerMe said:

Also on BR overreaction, talking about Spielmans lack of effort/results.  What is going on with these guys?  Do they just not want to work? 

Probably.  This staff is demanding more of players.  More work, less skipping workouts, less eating junk food, plus all the extra work of learning new systems, terminology, etc.,.  Plus, there are higher expectations now.  If you think about it, it's only natural that some people simply don't want to work extra hard.  You probably see people like that every day of your life... I know I do.

On 9/22/2018 at 10:14 PM, JJ Husker said:

I guess what I don't get about this no buy in angle is why, if Frost and the coaches know who these guys are, are these not bought in players seeing the field? Yes Frost says the best they got are being played and obviously we don't have the luxury of replacing them with good players but wouldn't it be better to play the worst guy on the team than to give credence to an attitude problem player.

It's pretty easy to talk a good game.  I'm sure all of the players would have said they were on board with things if asked.  But the truth comes out when it's time to put in the work.  Maybe they want to be on-board the new Frost train, but they didn't realize how much more would be expected of them.  That's all fine and natural.  But the onus is on the coaching staff to "help" them figure it out, one way or another.

11 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's weird because this is the same team and same personnel who were playing a completely different, more aggressive brand of football against Colorado — a surprisingly good Colorado team we were assured — including great push from both OL and DL, a rejuvenated run game, a revelation at freshman QB and our two best-in-conference wide receivers -- total beasts!  We blamed the loss on a single play or two and marveled at all the good things Scott Frost had already gotten out of the same players he inherited from Riley.  What happened to that narrative?

Right, the Huskers played pretty well against Colorado... and it wasn't enough.  They lost.  So all that extra work the players had been doing didn't pay off.  For some guys, that will motivate them to work harder.  But some guys may have been maxxed out on the effort they were willing to put in.  Then as Knappic said, doubt creeps in and you get all sorts of additional problems.

-----------

The bottom line is all this excitement from fans and media about the new coaching staff is fun for us, but it means a lot more work for the players.  Not all of them are going to be willing to work even harder, but that's what is now evidently necessary.

On 9/23/2018 at 4:51 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Is this really a serious question?

Yes, it was serious. I'm trying to reconcile the huge gap between how Frost has characterized the teams preparation, gains made, etc. with what we are actually seeing transpire on the field. He's come off like a straight shooter to me but I honestly can't tell if it's just a matter of not wanting to throw players under the bus or if there may be a smidgen of he hasn't done a very good job of getting a true read on this team yet. I suspect it may be some of both.

If you have something obvious to share that I've missed, please do.

There is so much negativity surrounding the NU football program right now that someone could cut it with a knife. This honestly feels like a bad stock market at the bottom of a correction just before things start getting better. 

I hope all of this negativity is a contrary indicator and that we get a win this Saturday.  Heaven knows we could use one. 

17 hours ago, TheSker said:

If we had hired Nick Saban and he was 0-3 and an underdog to Purdue at home, you would have assured us in a short, declarative sentence that this never would have happened if we'd hired Scott Frost. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2