Michigan players: Nebraska gave up 'after the first series'

r06ue1

30 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

True.  But, what incentive does this particular player have to lie?  Further, you saw the game...you saw how it played out...the way Nebraska played lends incredible credence to what this particular Michigan player said.

Neb and Mich will be going up against each other for recruits, including Wandale Robinson. Statements like this could hold weight IMO. Plus, he would say it to feel like an Alpha male making the opponents submit to them because they are superior. 

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Dan_F_31 said:

Neb and Mich will be going up against each other for recruits, including Wandale Robinson. Statements like this could hold weight IMO. Plus, he would say it to feel like an Alpha male making the opponents submit to them because they are superior. 

Okay....

See ANYTHING in this game which disproves what this Michigan player said?

26 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Except, according to recruiting rankings, Nebraska has "out-recruited" nearly everyone in the Big 10 since 2011 except Ohio State, Michigan, and probably Penn State.

So either: 1) all the recruiting rankings are wrong, or 2) Nebraska just isn't putting forth the effort needed to compete at the highest levels.

or

3) Recruiting rankings are an inaccurate science but still generally reliable for some things but not all

4) We've recruited accurately per our rankings but have not developed any of that talent/potential well 

5) We've recruited somewhat below the rankings suggest but attrition and transfers have made our current roster not a direct progression of our rankings

6) We've recruited accurately per our rankings but other teams have recruited better than their rankings suggest

7) Other teams have developed their poorly ranked players much better than we have

8) Any other degrees and combinations of all of these different factors

• Fire 2

7 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Okay....

Then I am confused because as I read your post it seemed like you were making the point that said Michigan player was over-stating things...

:dunno

Dan quoted your reply to Hayseed who was questioning whether what the Michigan player said was true.  Dan was just answering your question.  Look at the thread replay.

44 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

No it's not if the team is physically inferior. I don't know why this effort bulls#!t keeps getting all the attention. If you recruit mid-major talent to go against a physical powerhouse, no amount of effort will overcome that. I'm happy we didn't have more injuries.

The coach has called out this teams buy in and effort two weeks in a row and now players on the other team are saying players the team weren't playing hard. It isn't the whole team but there is enough evidence that there are a lot of guys not giving their best effort.

13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

or

3) Recruiting rankings are an inaccurate science but still generally reliable for some things but not all

4) We've recruited accurately per our rankings but have not developed any of that talent/potential well 

5) We've recruited somewhat below the rankings suggest but attrition and transfers have made our current roster not a direct progression of our rankings

6) We've recruited accurately per our rankings but other teams have recruited better than their rankings suggest

7) Other teams have developed their poorly ranked players much better than we have

8) Any other degrees and combinations of all of these different factors

You and your "contrarian" posts...:laughpound

In all seriousness, you're raising valid concerns.

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Except, according to recruiting rankings, Nebraska has "out-recruited" nearly everyone in the Big 10 since 2011 except Ohio State, Michigan, and probably Penn State.

So either: 1) all the recruiting rankings are wrong, or 2) Nebraska just isn't putting forth the effort needed to compete at the highest levels.

Strangely ,we measure up physically with everyone but those teams and Wisconsin, maybe Iowa now...….because of the recruitment of mid-major players. But the rankings have nothing to do with physicality. I've seen plenty of effort...…..to the point of over pursuing.

Kind of strange that you're disputing your own findings; we just played Michigan who out-recruits us.

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Strangely ,we measure up physically with everyone but those teams and Wisconsin, maybe Iowa now...….because of the recruitment of mid-major players. But the rankings have nothing to do with physicality. I've seen plenty of effort...…..to the point of over pursuing.

Kind of strange that you're disputing your own findings; we just played Michigan who out-recruits us.

I'm not "disputing" my own findings....

If anything, I'm calling into question the validity of the entire recruiting rankings system.  How can we "out-recruit" 11+ teams in the BIG for years and yet get demolished by UM in 2018?

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I'm not "disputing" my own findings....

If anything, I'm calling into question the validity of the entire recruiting rankings system.  How can we "out-recruit" 11+ teams in the BIG for years and yet get demolished by UM in 2018?

Oh OK...…..I'll buy that. Many of our 4 stars were duds and probably ranked higher because of where they lived.

9 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

True.  But, what incentive does this particular player have to lie?  Further, you saw the game...you saw how it played out...the way Nebraska played lends incredible credence to what this particular Michigan player said.

Exactly.  Not as if the tape looks different.  That said, low class move to make those comments.  I hate Alabama, but I don't see Saban's team needing to make such comments when they dominate a team.  

"Any game action that disproves this Mich player's statement?" 

The closest offering I can think of us that, Mich has scored their 3rd TD near the end of the 1st Qtr, then 4 minutes later, they are stopped and kick their first (of two) FGs.   Can FGs be considered a 'stop' by the Defense? 

I think that, early on, that first FG was considered a 'good stop' but I don't recall each of Mich's failed plays just before that FG.  I think one was an errant pass - badly thrown.  Not really a defensive gem, therefore, but a poor offensive one.  I don't recall the other two.  There were stops during the game, and some of those were indeed good-enough defensive plays which indicate a non-quit attitude. 

I suspect this one player's quip was his own anecdotal selective memory although, in fact, beating a Quitter Team by ONLY 56-10 really doesn't speak too highly of Mich.  A really good team would have put up 100 or more, right?  I mean - since the other team 'quit'.  Right? 

With any luck, this can be Bulletin Board Material... and the team really has few choices of how to use this item into their future.  Fortunately, Frost has a long history of resurrecting failed, quitter programs, right?  He knows all about this, right?  (This will always be my complaint against Frost: he does NOT have a long history of coaching in a variety of situations.  He's still a very young coach in practice.  This will be tooth-cutting situations for the next decade for him.)

• Plus1 1