Michigan players: Nebraska gave up 'after the first series'

r06ue1

7 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I'm not "disputing" my own findings....

If anything, I'm calling into question the validity of the entire recruiting rankings system.  How can we "out-recruit" 11+ teams in the BIG for years and yet get demolished by UM in 2018?

Look at the recruiting classes by year. Then look at the top 5 or 6 highest rated guys. Many of them didn’t make it to campus or left. So if you take out 4 of the 5 highest rated guys. That takes us from like 25-45 in the rankings. Then no development of who is here. That’s what u see on the field

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I think that the Michigan player was correct.  After that early interception, you could just see how that deflated Nebraska’s morale.  

I also believe the quote because this is the exact same thing that Nebraska players used to say in the 80s-90s after they relentlessly pounded opponents into submission with over 400 shove it in your face rushing yards and a Blackshirt defense with a “meet me at the quarterback” attitude.

Michigan player was right and the truth hurts.

1 hour ago, ClemHusker said:

"Any game action that disproves this Mich player's statement?" 

The closest offering I can think of us that, Mich has scored their 3rd TD near the end of the 1st Qtr, then 4 minutes later, they are stopped and kick their first (of two) FGs.   Can FGs be considered a 'stop' by the Defense? 

I think that, early on, that first FG was considered a 'good stop' but I don't recall each of Mich's failed plays just before that FG.  I think one was an errant pass - badly thrown.  Not really a defensive gem, therefore, but a poor offensive one.  I don't recall the other two.  There were stops during the game, and some of those were indeed good-enough defensive plays which indicate a non-quit attitude. 

I suspect this one player's quip was his own anecdotal selective memory although, in fact, beating a Quitter Team by ONLY 56-10 really doesn't speak too highly of Mich.  A really good team would have put up 100 or more, right?  I mean - since the other team 'quit'.  Right? 

With any luck, this can be Bulletin Board Material... and the team really has few choices of how to use this item into their future.  Fortunately, Frost has a long history of resurrecting failed, quitter programs, right?  He knows all about this, right?  (This will always be my complaint against Frost: he does NOT have a long history of coaching in a variety of situations.  He's still a very young coach in practice.  This will be tooth-cutting situations for the next decade for him.)

If anyone knows what it takes to win here, it's Frost. He had front row seats in the 90's. He knows what kind of players he will need. Given time he will weed out the weak links. 

Stock up on Neb boy's to get the kids from out of state, to understand Husker pride, and to get o-line pipe line going again. 

If he didn't believe he could do it here, he would have not taken the job. It won't be a 2yr turn around nor will it take 5yrs.

GBR!!!

9 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I'm not "disputing" my own findings....

If anything, I'm calling into question the validity of the entire recruiting rankings system.  How can we "out-recruit" 11+ teams in the BIG for years and yet get demolished by UM in 2018?

Look at our classes that comprise this team and tell me how many of our highly ranked guys are here.....

4 stars per 247 Composite that counted towards our class ranking

2014 5th year Srs (Class Ranked 35th, 6th in BIG)

Tanner Farmer

Nick Gates (gone)

Jerald Foster

2015 (Class Ranked 30th, 4th in BIG)

Eric Lee

Jalin Barnett

Jordan Stevenson (Gone)

Avery Anderson

2016 (Class Ranked 26th, 5th in BIG)

Lamar Jackson

John Raridon

Patrick Obrien (Gone)

Marquel Dismuke

Matt Farniok

2017 (Class Ranked 23rd, 5th in BIG)

Tyjon Lindsey

Avery Roberts (Gone)

Tristan Gebbia (Gone)

Jaivon McQuitty

Keyshawn Johnson (Gone)

2018 (Class Ranked 23rd, 4th in BIG)

Adrian Martinez

Cameron Jurgens

Maurice Washington

Cam'Ron Jones

Tate Wilderman

Caleb Tannor

Interestingly enough Frost signed more 4 star composites than any of our previous classes that the roster is comprised of. 

• Plus1 2

Everyone, I would like to take this opportunity to say that I misspoke and was not clear in what I meant. 

My claim of calling into question the validity of recruiting rankings was definitely an over-statement and I meant to ask that more as a rhetorical question than anything else.

I know why we got demolished by Michigan yesterday: 1) As I mentioned in another thread about QBs, many of our 4 stars we've recruited across all position groups haven't panned out for various reasons, 2) the previous coaching staff were awful coaches, and 3) there was zero development of the players who were here.

I guess what I am saying is the fault lies with Nebraska, and NOT recruiting rankings in general.

See, this is why I shouldn't post while intoxicated.  :waste

11 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Everyone, I would like to take this opportunity to say that I misspoke and was not clear in what I meant. 

My claim of calling into question the validity of recruiting rankings was definitely an over-statement and I meant to ask that more as a rhetorical question than anything else.

I know why we got demolished by Michigan yesterday: 1) As I mentioned in another thread about QBs, many of our 4 stars we've recruited across all position groups haven't panned out for various reasons, 2) the previous coaching staff were awful coaches, and 3) there was zero development of the players who were here.

I guess what I am saying is the fault lies with Nebraska, and NOT recruiting rankings in general.

See, this is why I shouldn't post while intoxicated.  :waste

I think the biggest thing you mention is the zero development....who did Riley develop? 

I can't recall every moment, but there have been those gut punch moments when NU just appears to quit.  The time we got the roughing the punter against Michigan under Bo.  The first bowl game against UGA and AA fumble.  The catch 9TD) to end the half against the Gamec$%ks.  The quit in the 2007 defense......

IMHO, we might be physically stronger (comparative to ourselves) than we have been in years, BUT we are still mentally weak.  Again, IMHO, our guys are ingrained that they are snake bit.  They are all playing "tight" waiting for that moment they are all is sure to come when the bottom drops out.  Last nights INT was that collapse.  We go down and score, maybe its a completely different game.  Maybe closer.....But this team simply plays to see when it happens.  They "know" it's going to happen.  I am unsure how the staff gets them over that hump.  

The Michigan players were correct.  Everyone posting in the game thread saw it.  Just like them "running up the score".  If we don't like it, stop them.  Don't want them saying we quit?  Don't quit.  I can't see faulting them for speaking out on what any person watching the game saw......

I'd play guys who won't quit that make mistakes at 100 mph than guys who know the system, but quit

1 minute ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Agreed.  :thumbs

But at the same time...:bang

Because what we saw yesterday was just the Mike Riley gift that keeps on giving.

I was pissed yesterday but once you start thinking about what this team was last year, the culture we know Riley established of no accountability and more or less a shucks we lost mentality it isnt surprising where we are and how far we have to go to become respectable again. 

7 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I was pissed yesterday but once you start thinking about what this team was last year, the culture we know Riley established of no accountability and more or less a shucks we lost mentality it isnt surprising where we are and how far we have to go to become respectable again. 

That is 100% true.  

I think I said this yesterday: That is why, as a condition to accepting the HC position, he wanted a guaranteed five years because he knew just how dire the situation was.  But, being a professional, he didn't want to say publically what he really thought--which I do not blame him at all.

So yeah...I still don't think the season is lost, but yeah....Nebraska (as a program) has a far steeper mountain to climb than I previously wanted to believe.

Coach Frost is the right guy and he will get us where we want to be.  We're just going to have to our lumps along the way.