Michigan players: Nebraska gave up 'after the first series'

r06ue1

12 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am more or less hoping that his star rating starts to come to fruition with another year with Duval....

This coaching staff has to get more out of the scholarship lineman. It's a great story when a walk on earn playing time or becomes a starter but you can't have guys that dont play wasting scholarships.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

If we bench these guys and they are the best we have, even playing half assed, what chance do we have of winning a game?  This is a tough spot for Frost, he is damned both ways.

Who cares right now?  The culture needs to change.  Put guys on the field that BATTLE. I mean get up mad determined something won't happen again.  Frost can recruit his talent in the next few years.  The culture and losing-acceptance mentality must be destroyed with permanency.  

And telling me we need to win 5-6 games this year for recruiting I think is a farce.  Frost in your living room saying "guys like you change the course of our brand" would have me excited to head to Lincoln.  Frost is young, low risk of ever leaving, and knows the game today.  We can reload through recruiting.  Culture needs a reload right now.

• Plus1 1

Personally, I think this continues this season until we get through a first quarter and maybe first half without a turnover. I think the team saw that turnover and saw the game play out in the blink of a moment. Watch Spielman on the AM pick. He was done on the play the second it happened. They're all in their head about it. 

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Kernal said:

We've been seeing these collapses for a long time now.  Yesterday's reminded me of the game against Wisconsin where Melvin Gordon set the single game rushing record against "defensive genius" Pelini's 2014 team.  It also reminded me of the 62-3 beating Riley's 2016 team took against OSU and Callahan's 2007 beating at the hands of Okie State.

If this were simply a talent issue we wouldn't have lost to Troy, nor would we have looked worse than SMU against Michigan.  I agree 100% with what this Michigan player said in the clip: Players looked like they didn't want to be there.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone watching the game; it was OBVIOUS in the way many of them were playing.

We could try to figure out why that is, and people have been trying to figure that out for a long time.  Most people seem to come to the conclusion it's something called "culture," but that's about as far as it ever gets.  Nobody seems to know how to change it, or at least, nobody in charge seems to be willing or able to change it.  I suppose the NU Athletics Department is too concerned with their precious sell-out streak and all the other meaningless crap they churn out every week trying to keep the money rolling in to risk change.  You see this all the time when the accountants (shareholders, etc.,) rather than experts start running businesses.  But I digress.

To me, I would stop trying to figure out why guys aren't playing hard (i.e. acting like they don't want to be there).  I would demote every player who "gave up" against Michigan and I would keep trying different players until I had 22 that were going to sell out on every snap, every week.  If that meant 22 fourth-string walk-ons, then that's who I'd play.  Those other guys can figure out why they weren't playing hard on their own time.  If they later become willing to consistently play like they're capable I would consider putting them back into the lineup. 

If that means we lose every game this year so be it.  I would be inviting those on scholarship who didn't see the light to transfer at the end of the school year and I'd put a lot of energy into recruiting replacements.  Eventually, you'll have a team full of guys who are willing to sell-out on every play.  Only then will things like S&C, scheme, talent deficiencies become an issue worth addressing. 

Until we have 11 guys on the field going 100%, every week, nothing is even going to begin to change.

To quote Col. Charlie Beckwith (founder of "Delta")-I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than a hundred sh!theads.

Pretty much sums the situation up. I'd rather have 50 kids on scholarship who play like their a$$ is on fire and their heads are catching than a roster full of scholarships that quit and give up......Kids who will fight to the end.  You might win, but you'll know you were in a street fight.

11 minutes ago, lo country said:

To quote Col. Charlie Beckwith (founder of "Delta")-I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than a hundred sh!theads.

Pretty much sums the situation up. I'd rather have 50 kids on scholarship who play like their a$$ is on fire and their heads are catching than a roster full of scholarships that quit and give up......Kids who will fight to the end.  You might win, but you'll know you were in a street fight.

I've been saying the emboldened as well.  Fully agree.  Culture needs to change now.  

And the athletes talk throughout the week.  They talk to each other.  You have a couple that are poisonous and not believing, they plant bad seeds with others.  Coaches usually don't find out but it shows on the field.  They are losers and defeatists.  They must be treated like malignant tumors and removed.  We have the coach.  We have tradition.  We have the fanbase and the money.  Clean the festering boils of past recruits, compete every play moving forward, keep planes clean, go to class, and recruit the 3-5 stars that are hungry backed by a healthy walk on group that never feel entitled to put on the N. 

I could not be more on board to what we have in front of us.  I hope the staff is as passionate to clean up the anchors on the team as they are hopeful for the future.

• Plus1 1

This sounds like your typical quote from one of those yapping flea DBs...defensive back or douchebag...take your pick.  They'll grab you, trip you, hold you and after the play is over they'll walk behind you spouting off all kinds of crap because they know when the whistle blows you can't kick the s#!t out of them.  They run away and hide behind a DT whenever one of the big boys show up.  I swear every DB in the Big 8 slept with my mama or my sister.  I wouldn't pay any attention to what this guy said...he's probably the same guy that's going to be crying "He pushed off!!!" when he gets his ass beat next week.  We were taught to ignore them...unless you were on the bottom of a pile with one in which case it was acceptable to bend whatever body part you could reach until they cried.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

This sounds like your typical quote from one of those yapping flea DBs...defensive back or douchebag...take your pick.  They'll grab you, trip you, hold you and after the play is over they'll walk behind you spouting off all kinds of crap because they know when the whistle blows you can't kick the s#!t out of them.  They run away and hide behind a DT whenever one of the big boys show up.  I swear every DB in the Big 8 slept with my mama or my sister.  I wouldn't pay any attention to what this guy said...he's probably the same guy that's going to be crying "He pushed off!!!" when he gets his ass beat next week.  We were taught to ignore them...unless you were on the bottom of a pile with one in which case it was acceptable to bend whatever body part you could reach until they cried.

Man I cant wait for the day when we get ISU on our schedule so we can kick the S**T out of them for you.

Three thoughts I have on this based on HCSF statements.

1.  The "buy-in" statement last week with confirmation by Tanner Farmer and with what Mo Barry said, I think the issue is not "overall" buy in, in terms of not trusting that the coaches know what they are doing, but rather the difference between buy in  to the overall scheme and the need to work harder and the knowlege of how much it really takes to get it done and then putting forth TRUE maximal effort when you think what you are giving already is maximal effort.  In many ways it is hard to know this working only against yourselves.  

2.  It may get worse before it gets better.  This should have clearly been a signal that we might be in for some problems playing the better teams in the league.

3.  The coaching staff's patience is about at an end.  "We got our butt whipped.  Guys are either going to have to figure out how to work hard and get it fixed, or we'll move on to the next guy...that's just the fact of it is we can't keep doing the same things and expecting a different result than this."

8 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

I agree on not seeing the D give up after the interception.  Yes they were punched in the mouth a couple times early and staggered a bit but by the 2nd quarter I saw nearly everyone trying.  They got a couple of stops before halftime.  On offense either Michigan studied film for weeks or they were stealing signals because they knew exactly the play we were going to run nearly every time. 

I suspected that was happening with Pelini. Either the way we lined up made it obvious or they were reading our signals. That's why they had huddles in the old days. It doesn't explain getting physically beat but it makes you wonder if they've cracked our super-encrypted signals that only our defensive rocket scientists can decipher?

1 hour ago, lo country said:

stop making excuses for losing. 

Need to get where players are kicking teammates off the field or practice if the expectation isn’t being met a la Tommie Frazier and Benning story that’s been mentioned a bit. The leaders on the team need to be an extension of the coaches. 

The kool aid was tainted and I drank a ton, gonna need to weed out some losers and move on without their baggage. 

I’d like to see Wyatt Mazour get real touches, he has great balance and keeps his feet moving.  

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

stop making excuses for losing. 

How's that an excuse.  Guys quit. It's not an excuse saying I want guys who want to play and even getting beat let you know you've been in a fight.

Frost making the same excuses also..........

Frost sounds increasingly open to personnel changes.

"Guys are either going to have to figure it out, or we're going to have to get some guys who want to do it," he said Saturday.