Michigan players: Nebraska gave up 'after the first series'

r06ue1

46 minutes ago, drfish said:

Three thoughts I have on this based on HCSF statements.

1.  The "buy-in" statement last week with confirmation by Tanner Farmer and with what Mo Barry said, I think the issue is not "overall" buy in, in terms of not trusting that the coaches know what they are doing, but rather the difference between buy in  to the overall scheme and the need to work harder and the knowlege of how much it really takes to get it done and then putting forth TRUE maximal effort when you think what you are giving already is maximal effort.  In many ways it is hard to know this working only against yourselves.  

2.  It may get worse before it gets better.  This should have clearly been a signal that we might be in for some problems playing the better teams in the league.

3.  The coaching staff's patience is about at an end.  "We got our butt whipped.  Guys are either going to have to figure out how to work hard and get it fixed, or we'll move on to the next guy...that's just the fact of it is we can't keep doing the same things and expecting a different result than this."

Neal said in an interview that guys were still "iffy" Thursday at practice when asked questions about assignments.  To paraphrase, "by Thursday we've been looking at film for 3-4 days. Guys gotta answer when a questions asked.  Guys were iffy.  It makes you slow..........I'm assuming "buying in" includes not putting in work...

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-nebraska-s-iffy-practice-begs-a-question/article_0856b90a-a83f-5d58-871f-341bbe9e38b5.amp.html

"Guys knew their assignments, but they were hesitant," said Neal, a graduate transfer from Central Florida. "By Thursday, you have to know it. We've gone three days, four days, watching film by then. As soon as you're asked a question, you should answer. Seeing that kind of stuff, that's where you get iffy. You can't go into a game with those sorts of doubts, period."

Frost sounds increasingly open to personnel changes.

"Guys are either going to have to figure it out, or we're going to have to get some guys who want to do it," he said Saturday.

18 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

It's not, but I also would shy away from saying that we have a roster full of sh**h***s.   

It was an analogy.  Not a direct comparison.  I do not think anyone on our roster are  sh**heads The good colonel was saying he’d rather have less guys who were 100%, than fill a group with guys not wanting it.   Similar situation.  I as a fan, and the staff I would ASSume would prefer to have a group of guys that want in instead of a more complete roster filled with guys who aren’t 100% in. For the record the quote was not meant to infer I thought the team was composed of  Sh&&h&&ds......or that there were any on the team.  I guess I could have changed the quote to say quitters or persons not completely committed to the arduous task being presented to us...

My apologies if you read it as that.  

45 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Need to get where players are kicking teammates off the field or practice if the expectation isn’t being met a la Tommie Frazier and Benning story that’s been mentioned a bit. The leaders on the team need to be an extension of the coaches. 

The kool aid was tainted and I drank a ton, gonna need to weed out some losers and move on without their baggage. 

I’d like to see Wyatt Mazour get real touches, he has great balance and keeps his feet moving.  

The stories from the 90s are from a team at the pinnacle of success.

Frost wants a team that "polices" itself, but as fans we probably need to take a few breaths in 2018.

17 minutes ago, lo country said:

It was an analogy.  Not a direct comparison.  I do not think anyone on our roster are  sh**heads The good colonel was saying he’d rather have less guys who were 100%, than fill a group with guys not wanting it.   Similar situation.  I as a fan, and the staff I would ASSume would prefer to have a group of guys that want in instead of a more complete roster filled with guys who aren’t 100% in. For the record the quote was not meant to infer I thought the team was composed of  Sh&&h&&ds......or that there were any on the team.  I guess I could have changed the quote to say quitters or persons not completely committed to the arduous task being presented to us...

My apologies if you read it as that.  

I've very literal.  Also, I've been trying to force the idea into any posts about not being ok with losing.  Maybe I didn't use it appropriately in this one. 

7 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I've very literal.  Also, I've been trying to force the idea into any posts about not being ok with losing.  Maybe I didn't use it appropriately in this one. 

No worries.  I didn't take that you were ok with losing.  I am also not ok with losing.  I don't believe in moral victories.  A loss is a loss is a loss.  I'm just hoping for a lot more fight in those losses.  But even then, they stink.

17 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I suspected that was happening with Pelini. Either the way we lined up made it obvious or they were reading our signals. That's why they had huddles in the old days. It doesn't explain getting physically beat but it makes you wonder if they've cracked our super-encrypted signals that only our defensive rocket scientists can decipher?

*scratches head*   Is that thar one of them oxymoron things?    chuckleshuffle

ESPN has a story up about Frost's 0-3 start.

Frost said Monday afternoon he's still confident that the plan he and his staff laid out at the start of the season will eventually produce the right results. On Saturday, he said he felt his team kept its will to compete despite the quickly lopsided score against Michigan. Wolverines safety Josh Metellus tells a different story from what he saw after intercepting a pass on the fourth play of the game.

"After the first series, when we went back out there we just knew they wanted to give up," Metellus said. "You could just see it in their eyes."

Frost and Nebraska's veteran leaders did not shy away from the notion that not everyone in their locker room was invested enough to stick around through this nadir. The head coach said he didn't think anyone had jumped ship yet, but called it "inevitable" that some players would be lost. Eventually, he said, that would make the team stronger. Junior linebacker Mohamed Barry said he hoped that the committed and non-committed separated themselves sooner rather than later.

"Let's just be truthful," Barry said. "There are some people that want it, and some people that don't. That's why we're playing the brand of football we're playing right now. We're going to get there, and it's all positive, but I hope that if people have any doubt in us and our team that they make their exit now."

It might be time for Frost and his staff to force the issue. He hinted this weekend that changes might be coming. If there are players on the field that weren't interested in being out there, Frost ought to help them out with that - even if that means replacing some players with younger, weaker, less talented counterparts for the time being. After all, it can't really get any worse, so he might as well burn it all the way down to the ground.

• Fire 1