Player sideline demeanor was disappointing

huskerfan74

I think the one thing that upset me the most from this game is the attitude of some of our players towards the end of this game. The TV shows the two quarterbacks laughing and talking as if we were winning by 50 points when we were just clabbered 56 to 10 by Michigan. Don’t get me wrong. I do not expect the players to be crying but for the love of God show some disappointment in the fact that you were just manhandled like you were a Division III FOOTBALL team and you showed little fight in the process. It makes me wonder if we have the right type of players for Nebraska football. In my opinion, you can have God coach this team and if they are not at all bothered by the fact that they were yet again humiliated on national TV, then nothing will work. 

At this point, I am sure that Frost is realizing he has very bad players and the team needs a major overhaul. The team showed no swagger, no confidence, and in their minds, they lost the game the minute they stepped out of the bus in Michigan. Very disappointing showing and very poor attitude from the players. It reflects very poorly on Nebraska because it shows a player culture that has been very accustomed to losing games. I never thought we will ever get to this point!!!!

I hope Frost has a magic wand and some magical potions because we need a miracle at this point to make a bowl game.

• Plus1 1

What are the most realistic goals for the rest of the season? Even if the players are playing for the Pinstripe Bowl, that's something. 

Sure, the sentiment behind Frost not wanting to play on December 1 is valid, but this group of guys can achieve without aiming for the conference championship game. 

Find six wins. BCC and Illinois look like the only  gimmes the rest of the year. Can we hang with Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern?

Realistic, attainable goals are the way to progress. It should start tomorrow. 

10 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I think the one thing that upset me the most from this game is the attitude of some of our players towards the end of this game. The TV shows the two quarterbacks laughing and talking as if we were winning by 50 points when we were just clabbered 56 to 10 by Michigan. Don’t get me wrong. I do not expect the players to be crying but for the love of God show some disappointment in the fact that you were just manhandled like you were a Division III FOOTBALL team and you showed little fight in the process. It makes me wonder if we have the right type of players for Nebraska football. In my opinion, you can have God coach this team and if they are not at all bothered by the fact that they were yet again humiliated on national TV, then nothing will work. 

At this point, I am sure that Frost is realizing he has very bad players and the team needs a major overhaul. The team showed no swagger, no confidence, and in their minds, they lost the game the minute they stepped out of the bus in Michigan. Very disappointing showing and very poor attitude from the players. It reflects very poorly on Nebraska because it shows a player culture that has been very accustomed to losing games. I never thought we will ever get to this point!!!!

I hope Frost has a magic wand and some magical potions because we need a miracle at this point to make a bowl game.

Bowl game?????  :lol:

We're going to be lucky if Nebraska doesn't go 0-12.

I won't apologize for saying Nebraska could be 9-3 prior to the season starting, but these three losses have really opened my eyes to just how awful we are.  

I'm not blaming Frost or these coaches.  This is the hand they were dealt and they're doing the best they can.

15 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

the quarterbacks, both of them, about died out there today because our lineman look like they play with blindfolds on.  Qbs are way down the list for me.

Yep.  QB's are the lats two dudes I'd mention as being an issue.  Sideline demeanor or not.  IIRC, Tommy Armstrong said before the start of 2014 that he wanted to stop guys not be focused on the sideline.  He re-watched games and saw them joking when we were losing.  Guess what.  A lot of those guys are still on the team AND we had a new coach who wasn't too big in the accountability department.  It's been an issue for years....It's not gonna go away in a few games.  It's going to take the staff putting their foot down and setting the standard.

Frost recently talked about Moos saying how dirty the plane was last year after an away game (trash left every where).  Frost said that's what he's talking about with buy in.  The little things.  Attention to detail. Doing things the right way......The problem is, when has NU last had a winning "standard"?  2001?  1999?  2009?  Once it's established, the staff and players will hold each other accountable to it.  It's like military selection or a LEO SWAT team. There is a standard.  It never deviates.  It is the same for who ever tries out.  It never changes.  Bama, Clemson, OSU, Wisky have a standard.  Everyone holds each other accountable.  They have a winning culture.  We don't. we don't yet have an O or D identity.  Wanting one and having one are 2 different things....The standard is the standard.  We just don't have one.  Yet.

• Plus1 1

All you have to do is ask the teachers and coaches around the country how different the players are today compared to twenty years ago.  Look what happen when gabby lost the starting Qb position,  didn't take him long to show his true colors. Why do you think coach Frost is talking about buying into the program.  Need to get rid of the cancer. Most students and athletes are looking for what is best for them {What have you done for me today,  Attitude} don't you understand its all about me.  Reason many coaches have retired!!!!!!   This is what needs to change at Nebraska for the team to start winning.. 

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I knew this thread was coming eventually as soon as I saw Adrian and Andrew slightly smiling on the sideline in the fourth quarter. 

Really hurts man. They have no business smiling while playing the game they love. So disappointing to see smiling faces like that. 

Your sarcasm isn't wrong, but I also think it kinda of deserves being brought up. At least I dont mind it, so im sorry it bothers you if it is discussed. 

Anyway, I know those two guys are young, but i sure hope Martinez can take ownership of this team and lead.

10 minutes ago, Whs from cb said:

All you have to do is ask the teachers and coaches around the country how different the players are today compared to twenty years ago.  Look what happen when gabby lost the starting Qb position,  didn't take him long to show his true colors. Why do you think coach Frost is talking about buying into the program.  Need to get rid of the cancer. Most students and athletes are looking for what is best for them {What have you done for me today,  Attitude} don't you understand its all about me.  Reason many coaches have retired!!!!!!   This is what needs to change at Nebraska for the team to start winning.. 

I didn't believe in the so-called "buy in" if that means somehow that the team now gets the idea that it takes a hell of lot of passion, desire, hunger, incredible hard work and dedication to the team and each other and putting all else above themselves and their own selfish interests.   Now, is a majority of team working harder (atleast up until now), etc.   Yes, I suspect so but this is the time when as the saying goes, the going gets tough so the tough get going.   Real question will be whether they get going on the field or simply go out the door and don't return .??

8 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Your sarcasm isn't wrong, but I also think it kinda of deserves being brought up. At least I dont mind it, so im sorry it bothers you if it is discussed. 

Anyway, I know those two guys are young, but i sure hope Martinez can take ownership of this team and lead.

Again, I never expect our players to be crying on the sideline after a loss. However, if you just tuned to the game and the first thing you see is two Nebraska players laughing and having fun, you would think that Nebraska just clobbered Michigan. This is not new. It goes back to the times of Mike “I chew gum” Riley who would take our players to eat ice cream after a loss. He instilled a horrible culture that losing is OK. Look at the body language of any of the elite teams and you will see how focused they are even when they are ahead by a few scores. Our players body language is one that says, we don’t belong here. That needs to be addressed. There is a big difference between having fun playing the game you love and not caring that you just got humiliated on national TV.