Big 10 West

beastieboat

Looks like Wisconsin wins 28-17.

Hopefully there can be some kind of discussion in this thread and not just pissing and moaning.   :)

Last year I looked up the stats of the last 15 years of head-to-head matchups between Wisconsin & Iowa. Wisconsin never mustered more than 37 against the Hawkeyes.

In yet, we've been blown out by Wisconsin multiple times. Chinander has two weeks to inspire a starting lineup of 11 guys to stop Wisconsin's run game. Two weeks to figure out how to prevent out ILBs from biting on the motion man and getting out of position. Wisconsin will look at the film of this Michigan game and give us hell...if we let them. We have the asses up front and the physicality from our linebackers to match up against the Vagers. Just need an inspired group of 11 defenders to play their assignments.

Watching Iowa and Wisky last night, both of those teams are on a completely different level than NU.  From execution, fundamentals, technique, intensity etc...They "look" like they would play better.  If our guys "quit" after being punched by Michigan, they might "quit" before KO.  Their physical, smash mouth style of football was a thing to behold.

Frost and Co have their work cut out for them for sure.  

10 hours ago, Undone said:

Looks like Wisconsin wins 28-17.

Hopefully there can be some kind of discussion in this thread and not just pissing and moaning.   :)

Last year I looked up the stats of the last 15 years of head-to-head matchups between Wisconsin & Iowa. Wisconsin never mustered more than 37 against the Hawkeyes.

In yet, we've been blown out by Wisconsin multiple times. Chinander has two weeks to inspire a starting lineup of 11 guys to stop Wisconsin's run game. Two weeks to figure out how to prevent out ILBs from biting on the motion man and getting out of position. Wisconsin will look at the film of this Michigan game and give us hell...if we let them. We have the asses up front and the physicality from our linebackers to match up against the Vagers. Just need an inspired group of 11 defenders to play their assignments.

I agree with the bolded.  I, like most here, watch a lot of football on Saturdays.  It seems as though we are the only team that consistently gets fooled by motion.  We also have yet to figure out how to not get caught in the "trash of rub routes".  We also have yet to effectively run/block for any type of sweep or screen pass.......

I forget the Wisky player, but on a goal line play, their ILB manages to hold his position and run to the outside on the pitch, blow up the lead blocker and still make a shoe string tackle on the RB to prevent the score.    I am unsure why our guys always bite on that motion instead of staying home and holding their lane.  One miscue, opens up huge lanes....

On September 23, 2018 at 9:52 AM, lo country said:

I agree with the bolded.  I, like most here, watch a lot of football on Saturdays.  It seems as though we are the only team that consistently gets fooled by motion.  We also have yet to figure out how to not get caught in the "trash of rub routes".  We also have yet to effectively run/block for any type of sweep or screen pass.......

I forget the Wisky player, but on a goal line play, their ILB manages to hold his position and run to the outside on the pitch, blow up the lead blocker and still make a shoe string tackle on the RB to prevent the score.    I am unsure why our guys always bite on that motion instead of staying home and holding their lane.  One miscue, opens up huge lanes....

Every defense has rules to handle specific motions, and one reason to use motion is to test those rules. Our guys, for whatever reason, are not getting the calls right in those situations. 

It it was the same on the offense with formation penalties. Between the errors we see, the limited number of players seeing time, and the limited playbook we're seeing, there's a great deal of evidence on both sides of the ball that there is a breakdown in understanding. That's probably my number 1 concern at the moment.