there's no reason to lose to purdue...

BoSolich

On 9/23/2018 at 1:39 AM, Making Chimichangas said:

There are PLENTY of reasons to lose to Purdue...

1. Nebraska is not nearly as good as indicated

2. Purdue is better coached than we are

3. Our players in year one don't yet know the system

I love NU and want them to win, but reality is....we're not that good.

1. I agree there's a hype factor that doesn't translate to a the overall ability as well as a youth factor

2 While. I think in the last couple of years the best highers for FBS Programs have been Brohm and Frost..  I think that this statement is false, Frost in year two with a program was light years ahead of Brohm in year 2.. 

3. I think the learning curve & depth have shown our flaws, but that's going to happen when you open yourself up to the Coaching Carousel.

Having said all that.. Frost and his staff are the right guys and I'm looking forward to seeing all the things that are ahead.. 

I think we beat Purdue and winning cures many things!  GBR!!!   

• Plus1 1

This team will not win a game if they continue to block like they have the last two games.  Like frost said, when you can't even block your most basic play and get back to the los you have no chance.  You can bet the defense sees this as well.  If I'm frost I'm making changes to my personnel up front.  I've seen enough to know the guys they have aren't able to do the job.

9 hours ago, TheSker said:

They are a talented experienced football team.

In contrast, we have been "led" by Mike Riley for 3 years.

This is a cop out. Nebraska simply is more talented than Troy. They lost because of turnovers, poor effort and lack of fundamentals. 

Is Nebraska more talented than Michigan?  No. Absolutely not. But I will not listen to any argument that says Nebraska has a talent gap that translates to a 46 point beating that could have been whatever Harbaugh felt like. Because it isn’t true. There were fundamental, glaring errors that led to that.

Harbaugh doesn’t run a fancy, gimmicky offense. Know what a lot of the running plays were that paved us and stacked them to a 39-0 lead?  Plays as simple as a counter. Every single last person on Nebraska’s defense has defended a counter before. Nearly everyone who’s played football at any level has defended a counter before. It’s a fundamental football play. And Nebraska was helpless to stop it. 

Some of the reasons are because Nebraska was trying to match up safeties to large blockers and they were getting destroyed (check out Scott Shanle’s Twitter. He was ranting about that) and other were simple fundlamental lapses and effort. 

Neither of those are on Mike Riley. He isn’t drawing up plays and he isn’t coaching them now. If the players now cannot execute what is probably second nature to them after a whole life of football it’s because they aren’t being stressed. I think some staff guys are trying to teach advanced physics when they need to be taught not to drop the beaker and cut themselves all over again. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

This is a cop out. Nebraska simply is more talented than Troy. They lost because of turnovers, poor effort and lack of fundamentals. 

Is Nebraska more talented than Michigan?  No. Absolutely not. But I will not listen to any argument that says Nebraska has a talent gap that translates to a 46 point beating that could have been whatever Harbaugh felt like. Because it isn’t true. There were fundamental, glaring errors that led to that.

Harbaugh doesn’t run a fancy, gimmicky offense. Know what a lot of the running plays were that paved us and stacked them to a 39-0 lead?  Plays as simple as a counter. Every single last person on Nebraska’s defense has defended a counter before. Nearly everyone who’s played football at any level has defended a counter before. It’s a fundamental football play. And Nebraska was helpless to stop it. 

Some of the reasons are because Nebraska was trying to match up safeties to large blockers and they were getting destroyed (check out Scott Shanle’s Twitter. He was ranting about that) and other were simple fundlamental lapses and effort. 

Neither of those are on Mike Riley. He isn’t drawing up plays and he isn’t coaching them now. If the players now cannot execute what is probably second nature to them after a whole life of football it’s because they aren’t being stressed. I think some staff guys are trying to teach advanced physics when they need to be taught not to drop the beaker and cut themselves all over again. 

Beakers aren't typically used in physics experiments

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

It's been stated before, but I saw an interesting tweet this weekend: Redshirt seniors are on their 3rd HC. Some players are on their 3rd, 4th, maybe even 5th position coaches. There needs to be a ton of work done to build trust and develop relationships just inbetween players and coaches. Yes, we're almost a year into the new staff, but it takes time. Until then, it's not going to matter the name on the helmet, no matter who we play. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, MountainMan said:

I agree with some of the things you say but you’re making a contradictory argument. You’re saying players should be able to execute the basics since they’ve been doing these fundamentals their whole career but it’s the coaches fault for moving past the fundamentals and teaching advanced physics. You lost me and almost all camp videos show players running drills which refute the notion. You might be on to something with player effort though.

There are plenty of reasons we could lose to Purdue. The biggest reason literally and figuratively is the offensive line, whose play has been offensive. At some point that group has got to get it going. There are plenty of things wrong with this team but it starts with them. If they can't get it going, we will lose again.

54 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

There are plenty of reasons we could lose to Purdue. The biggest reason literally and figuratively is the offensive line, whose play has been offensive. At some point that group has got to get it going. There are plenty of things wrong with this team but it starts with them. If they can't get it going, we will lose again.

As bad as the OL looked against Michigan, I am more worried about special teams. We can't keep losing 20 yards on every exchange and expect to compete. On top of that, we lead the nation in punt returns surrendered for TDs, and we do like to turn the ball over.