Against the Run in "Big" B1G Games

Undone

28 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

This makes me think you misunderstood my post so I’ll be very clear. I don’t think that was a mental “mistake” at all. They’re putting themselves out of the play to avoid contact. Yea put Honas in, he seems to have the toughness needed to play football at Nebraska.

IF . . . repeat IF, a player is smart enough to do that (be MIA for a play), then they also know how to be in the right position.    Accordingly, the coaches can teach & reteach, but after 2 or 3 obvious repeats of this . . . time to put someone else in.    But my view is, it's likely the player doesn't fully get the game.   Smarts just as important as athleticism.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I gotcha. That's a pretty bold theory and would be a new low for Husker football. Charlie McBride would probably whip a guy's *** into the next area code for such a thing.

I don’t think it’s bold. To me the clue is in the second clip. There is no reason to be in a position to run into Mo. The worst consequence will be Ruud questioning why he was out of position and he can explain it away that he thought the first RB got the ball.  That’s assuming it’s intentional. Lack of toughness could also put him out of position subconsciously too. I want a linebacker whose thought process on that play goes something like damn Mo has this one, nope the victim in my sights has the ball, I’m going to light this guy up. Without that toughness you can  find yourself out of position. The staff  is kind of in a tough position since it’s a new scheme they’ll probably give the player the benefit of the doubt. I say BS since these guys have been pulling this trick for years and yea I’d McBride their a$$.

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What an absolute frustrating play.

Both Young and Mo are pathetic on this play.  First, I'm guessing Young is coached to at least get to the outside to not let the RB get the edge and push him back into help defense.  In theory, I don't have  problem with that.   But, he gets too far out side and can't recover.  

Mo, just basically sits there and allows himself to get blocked.  I usually love Mo and think he gives great effort, but, on this play, he is extremely late to react and allows the O lineman to get a very easy block on him.

Young should have crashed that gap. The corner already had sealed the play from going outside. Young looks lost or afraid of making contact. It almost looked purposeful the more I watch it.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If it were purposeful, he wouldn't have been the one that ultimately ran him down.

I'd tend to agree with that.

The problem, as stated several times now, seems to be too much thinking or second-guessing about where to go, instead of just staying in position and then crashing to the ball as the play develops. And I don't blame these Bob Diaco-coached guys if there's still some of that crap in their heads about how to play to the ball.

But...if some nobody like me can see these trends, I'm just hoping that the coaches will put someone else in there for Purdue to see if we can at least see some improvement. Because it just almost can't be worse than the last 7ish minutes against Troy and all of the game against Michigan.

5 hours ago, Undone said:

Here's their second touchdown. Same play:

voGDqn.gif

Looks like Alex Davis is in to create a four man front on the right. Which I like a lot. And the I believe I see Caleb Tannor as a fifth guy on the left edge of our line. They have a six man front. 

More mindless play from Young. He casually steps to his left and bumps into Barry. Barry - actually reading the play well - tries to get over to make a play Young should have made in the first place.

Seriously...so depressing.

Bootle actually took the blame for this play, said he needed to crack replace and didn't. But yeah, it's like Young is just watching a completely different play. Maybe his key is the fullback since 42 does go to the backside, but I don't know why one ILB would read the fullback and the other read something else. Maybe that's his man if it's a pass and he's trying to follow, but the playside ILB can't run away from the play, and definitely can't run into the backside ILB.

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Mo, just basically sits there and allows himself to get blocked.  I usually love Mo and think he gives great effort, but, on this play, he is extremely late to react and allows the O lineman to get a very easy block on him.

I can't see which of our nose guards got demolished but it would have been helpful if their center wasn't allowed to block 2 people on that play.

On 9/24/2018 at 5:05 PM, 4skers89 said:

I can't see which of our nose guards got demolished but it would have been helpful if their center wasn't allowed to block 2 people on that play.

I think that is Stille.  It looks like he may have screwed up as it looks like we were running a d line stunt where the outside lineman (lined up as lineman) crashed in and the interior two were supposed to circle outside.  He just gets blown back and sheds his block to the wrong side from the ball carrier allowing the center to the second level to block Mo.  Looks like Young was responsible for setting the edge, thus his aggressive move to the outside and over running the RB.  But, this goes to show you that you can't really analyze this if you don't know the call and each players actual responsibility.