Realistic

25 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

To me those rankings are so subjective as to be completely meaningless. If we were consistently in the top 10-15 competing for talent and winning against the Alabama's , Texas' and Ohio State's then I'd have much more confidence in them. Why fans keep posting them as some objective measure of talent is a mystery to me. We have a definite talent disadvantage against Michigan.....that was obvious....on both sides of the ball. 

we have half as many 4 stars that we signed compared to Michigan and we have zero 5 stars to their 3....it is pretty obvious why we are terrible when you look at the amount of our highly ranked guys that never saw the field here. Then you couple that with attempting to build a foundation and culture of a team that has done nothing but give up and quit as a whole for over a year and this is what you get when they are faced with adversity. That isnt something magical that Frost can fix immediately. It takes times! 

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm trying to understand the point you were trying to make with those two sentences.

Here are our last five seasons' recruiting rankings according to 247:

2014 --#35

2015 -- #30

2016 -- #26

2017 -- #23

2018 -- #23

This may not be the only way to evaluate "talent," but defining talent is hard. This is a fairly objective way to do it. We shouldn't be as bad as we are against the run. I'm much less worried about the offense because Martinez is a true freshman and he's injured.

If Chinander is a good defensive coach - and there's good evidence that suggests that he is - this team should see some significant improvement by the end of the season. I have quite a bit of faith that it can.

We do have talent on this team but it doesn't mean it is focused talent.  Kids go to college to change, and some of those changes are always beneficial to playing football. What this coaching staff has been preaching all along is football needs to be a priority for these kids, because it seems like for far too long a devotion to football was not prioritized.

So some may ask what about Frost's quick success at UCF. I live in Florida and football is culture. It is how these kids define themselves. There's no preaching to these kids to focus on football, which is the reason why there are three legit power programs in this state.

Frost's biggest problem isn't the quality of the athletes, it's changing a culture where football was not a priority.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

It makes sense that those teams are most likely to get the proven best players ,but after that it's a guessing game. Add to that the star rating doesn't show any balance or concern for actual needs of a team ….you could get 10 5-star receivers and nothing else but still be on top of the rankings. 
What I'm saying is Michigan's ranking are legit and ours are crap....added to the fact that they didn't put nearly as much effort into beating cupcakes. Harbaugh was out to make a point against us. That's why near the end of the 1st half I proposed sending three of our 350# receivers on a pass pattern to the Michigan bench.

So in terms of raw talent, are we:

-Much less talented than Purdue

-Slightly less talented than Purdue

-Equally as talented as Purdue

-Slightly more talented than Purdue

-Much more talented that Purdue

??

I'd go with 'slightly more talented than Purdue.' But will Purdue allow itself to get blown out this season? We'll see. And we'll see how we actually play against them this weekend.

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

we have half as many 4 stars that we signed compared to Michigan and we have zero 5 stars to their 3....it is pretty obvious why we are terrible when you look at the amount of our highly ranked guys that never saw the field here. Then you couple that with attempting to build a foundation and culture of a team that has done nothing but give up and quit as a whole for over a year and this is what you get when they are faced with adversity. That isnt something magical that Frost can fix immediately. It takes times! 

I agree, but I think way too much emphasis is being put on effort and not nearly enough on them just not knowing what to do or being physically overmatched. I've seen players over-pursue a lot more than I've seen them taking plays off. It will take time and consistency because we've changed so many times......and many of these guys shouldn't even be playing at this stage of their career. I thought Frost would run 

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

So in terms of raw talent, are we:

-Much less talented than Purdue

-Slightly less talented than Purdue

-Equally as talented as Purdue

-Slightly more talented than Purdue

-Much more talented that Purdue

??

I'd go with 'slightly more talented than Purdue.' But will Purdue allow itself to get blown out this season? We'll see. And we'll see how we actually play against them this weekend.

At this point I'd agree with slightly more talented, but I'm not sure. I think the difference is that we have talented mid-major types who are better when not playing a physically dominating team.....they may too?? Once again, the star rankings at that level don't mean much.... there are many variables that matter more. Some of the OOC teams we've played over the years were full of razzle dazzle, but we still overcame them with our superior strength. That's why I think Chip Kelly's offense is fun to watch but doubt they can hold up man to man against an Alabama.....but I'll do that if it'll get us in the conversation and work on the rest later.

I see this conversation isn't about recruiting ,it's about "allowing yourself to get blown out" against a top ten team. To that I'd say our defense is full of holes and they just don't know what to do far more than they allowed themselves to get blown out. It's a combination of talent and experience problems more than the rabid fan's favorite observation......the "buying in" obsession. Anti-social media must be a huge hinderance to a 4-8 team trying to establish something. There just aren't enough stories for our 12,000 news sites and message boards, so angry fat beer drinkers make up stuff.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I see this conversation isn't about recruiting ,it's about "allowing yourself to get blown out" against a top ten team. To that I'd say our defense is full of holes and they just don't know what to do far more than they allowed themselves to get blown out.

Agreed here. And this is why I won't be surprised if we loom considerably better by season's end.

• Fire 1

Bah...all this 5 star recruit crap is getting tiring.  You know the difference between your typical 5 star recruit and a tub of sh*t?  The tub.  I'd put my team of no star recruits out against your top 20 class and not be one bit surprised to kick you all over the field...simply because my scrubs are so the ones that WANT to play football and have to work harder than the "talented recruits" to get to keep playing football.  Yeah, Nebraska sucks so far and this year and Frost hasn't been the Be All End All for the team so far.  But it's hard to be a good team when you feel entitled to your playing time and have bought into the media hype about how good you are.  The onus is on the players here.  

• Plus1 7
1 minute ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Bah...all this 5 star recruit crap is getting tiring.  You know the difference between your typical 5 star recruit and a tub of sh*t?  The tub.  I'd put my team of no star recruits out against your top 20 class and not be one bit surprised to kick you all over the field...simply because my scrubs are so the ones that WANT to play football and have to work harder than the "talented recruits" to get to keep playing football.  Yeah, Nebraska sucks so far and this year and Frost hasn't been the Be All End All for the team so far.  But it's hard to be a good team when you feel entitled to your playing time and have bought into the media hype about how good you are.  The onus is on the players here.  

As per usual, Cy comes in and serves us an ice cold plate of reality.

Thanks for stopping in.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Other than him being completely wrong yes very cold reality indeed.....

I was referencing this part....

8 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Yeah, Nebraska sucks so far and this year and Frost hasn't been the Be All End All for the team so far.  But it's hard to be a good team when you feel entitled to your playing time and have bought into the media hype about how good you are.  The onus is on the players here.

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Other than him being completely wrong yes very cold reality indeed.....

As a former Cyclone player Cy probably knows quite a bit.  I do think the difference between a 5 star player and a tub of s#!t is desire.  We've had enough 4 and 5 stars that belonged in a tub.  I don't see anything that Cy said as completely wrong. 

• Fire 1
28 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

As a former Cyclone player Cy probably knows quite a bit.  I do think the difference between a 5 star player and a tub of s#!t is desire.  We've had enough 4 and 5 stars that belonged in a tub.  I don't see anything that Cy said as completely wrong. 

I do. 5 stars are considerably more successful and there is data to prove it

• Plus1 2