Realistic

If anything proved that 4-5 star athletes are better than walk ons, freshmen, and Juco guys it was yesterdays game. They had better players across the board and kicked our butts, It happens, and no amount of "heart" is going to change that. I've played sports most of my life and been in that position many times. All you can do is practice hard and work to get better for the next game. I have faith that Frost will make that happen, but hes going to have to do it with less talented players for now.

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I do. 5 stars are considerably more successful and there is data to prove it

Agree. To win the MNC, you will need 50% or better to be 4*, 5* guys........The research/stats are out there.  Not saying desire and heart can't win (Army vs OU last night even though they lost), but it's a lot harder to be David week in and week out than face Goliath once a year.  If NU wants to win at that level, you've got to get the talent in here....

Do I think that some of the "stars" work less. Absolutely.  Expect things based on all the accolades? Yep. That's when recruiting the right kids/right fit come in. That's when coaching matters.  Thats when developing and adhering to the standard to play come in.  The recognized culture and expectations are known.....

And I think Iowa St would beat us this year.  I do not think they will ever win nor compete for the MNC with the recruits they are getting....

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/7/26/17607382/blue-chip-ratio-recruit-national-title-championship-playoff

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/22/17606048/blue-chip-ratio-2018

42 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Texas has been an annual example of how recruiting stars doesn’t always work.

You could say Georgia is another.

However, these teams are usually considered in the hunt just from recruiting alone.

The Special committee deciding the top four based partly on that is kind of a rigged game.

No one is saying recruiting is the only thing that matters. However it has been shown with too much data to refute that you better have highly rated Jimmys and Joes if you want to take home the Natty. 

How many times does a team full of 4 and 5 star guys need to kick Nebraska's teeth in for some fans to realize that recruiting 4 and 5 stars matters? 

Yes texas has struggled but that doesn't disprove every other team that recruits well and regularly ends up in the top 10.

Nebraska had a number of players mail it in yesterday but they were out gunned as well. There was a play in the second half were Michigan linebacker i think he was #10 took a bad angle on oz and still caught him behind the los. Michigan's linebackers were faster than Nebraska's skill position guys. That matters.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, alwayshusking said:

I'm not surprised they are struggling but yesterday was bad. They got punched in the mouth and went into the fetal position. I thought that would end with the Frost hire. Obviously Frost has work to do to instill toughness in this program. 

Yup. Yesterday was a beat down at the hands of one of the best programs out there. If our guys believed that they could make one or two bonehead mistakes like they’ve been doing-and I’m not talking the Amart interception- and still be in a position the win it in the end then they need a lesson in Big Ten football

we can’t get different guys or turn the ones that we have into better athletes, but at the very least we can teach them to become more resilient and less self destructive. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

No one is saying recruiting is the only thing that matters. However it has been shown with too much data to refute that you better have highly rated Jimmys and Joes if you want to take home the Natty. 

Isn't that what I said? Not only that but the special committee uses that as a criteria for participation in the final four, which the coaches then use as a recruiting tool to keep them coming if they want to be on a championship team. 
On the other hand, it doesn't mean you can't be successful in every other game and elevate your team to a place where you make believers out of the top recruits to get them coming your way. That's really the only thing you can hope for in this system. 

55 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Isn't that what I said? Not only that but the special committee uses that as a criteria for participation in the final four, which the coaches then use as a recruiting tool to keep them coming if they want to be on a championship team. 
On the other hand, it doesn't mean you can't be successful in every other game and elevate your team to a place where you make believers out of the top recruits to get them coming your way. That's really the only thing you can hope for in this system. 

So part of the criteria the playoff committee uses is recruiting class ranking? Is that what you are saying? I'm slightly confused. 

24 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So part of the criteria the playoff committee uses is recruiting class ranking? Is that what you are saying? I'm slightly confused. 

Of course....that's in their mind all season as they stage them. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy that even makes the beaten teams more worthy opponents to the top teams because "look who is on the roster".

12 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

But it's hard to be a good team when you feel entitled to your playing time and have bought into the media hype about how good you are. 

Unless you play at Alabama, apparently.

Or Ohio State.

Or Penn State.

Or LSU.

Or Clemson.

Or Oklahoma. 

Or _______________

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1