Did We Fire (pick favorite coach) too soon?

Jeepy

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

It's not a hindsight thing; if we hired Frost in 2014, it would be built purely on emotion with little in terms of tangible achievement on his part. We got him at exactly the right time in his career. 

But we got him at exactly the worst time for us as a program. If we would have hired him after 2014, he would have been taking over a 9 win team with some talent and at least a habit of winning a decent amount of games, and he would have been as experienced as someone like Bob Stoops was. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

But we got him at exactly the worst time for us as a program. If we would have hired him after 2014, he would have been taking over a 9 win team with some talent and at least a habit of winning a decent amount of games, and he would have been as experienced as someone like Bob Stoops was. 

But Riley did a lot for our local businesses. I for one have to believe most of the soft serve ice cream businesses loved the influx of business.

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, Landlord said:

What ultimatums can you give a coach who just had an 11 win season with a top 10 finish and a national championship appearance? 

in 1997Who was Bob Stoops

Stoops was an extremely hot commodity in 97'.  He had top units while he was at KState.  After we clobbered Florida for a NC, Spurrier got Stoops on his staff which led to his NC in 96'.  Don't kid yourself, a lot of programs were looking at Stoops in 97'.  However, I do wonder just how successful Stoops would have been here?  At OU, he was next door to a huge recruiting area.  Here, he wouldn't have had that luxury.  I'm just not certain he would have had the success here that he enjoyed at OU. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, beorach said:

To whom is he referring in the title, then, with "favorite coach"?

The title of the thread, and the original post make no mentions of Scott Frost.  The OP is simply asking if we fired any of the 4 previous coaches too soon.  Like, can I assume you're messing with me at this point?

10 minutes ago, Landlord said:

And he would have turned the job down if it were offered.  He said as much, he didn't want to work under Perlman or Eichorst.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Redux said:

The title of the thread, and the original post make no mentions of Scott Frost.  The OP is simply asking if we fired any of the 4 previous coaches too soon.  Like, can I assume you're messing with me at this point?

You're the one who won't answer a simple question.  Are you really going to argue that I can't reasonably make the assumption that "favorite coach" means Scott Frost after all the gushing since he became a viable candidate last year?

5 minutes ago, beorach said:

You're the one who won't answer a simple question.  Are you really going to argue that I can't reasonably make the assumption that "favorite coach" means Scott Frost after all the gushing since he became a viable candidate last year?

Holy crap you can't be serious right now....

This can't refer to Scott Frost because he hasn't been fired, THEREFORE this thread has ZERO to do with him.  (pick favorite coach) pretty obviously refers to the 4 former coaches we fired before Frost, ie. pick your favorite of the 4 we fired.

Please tell me you understand this now

• Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, Redux said:

Holy crap you can't be serious right now....

This can't refer to Scott Frost because he hasn't been fired, THEREFORE this thread has ZERO to do with him.  (pick favorite coach) pretty obviously refers to the 4 former coaches we fired before Frost, ie. pick your favorite of the 4 we fired.

Please tell me you understand this now

We obviously didn't read this the same way.  I can see how you were reading it now.  I don't get why you were upset over my reading it differently even after I explained it, though.  I was never trying to "mess with" you.

Bo Pelini is the answer to this. Did he deserve to be fired? Yes. Was it because of his record? Sorta. Was it because of his antics? In part. Was it because of blowout losses and mental ineptitude of the team? Absolutely. 

However, to follow firing Bo up with hiring Michelle O'Reilly is really head scratching. For all of Bo's faults, you dont fire that guy unless you have a homerun hire lined up. So yes, we fired Bo to early and should have just rode him out until we had the right replacement. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

This could be true, but we would have no idea (at the time) if he could produce like Bob Stoops. At least now, we know how good of a HC he is. 

Things are easier in hindsight.

Looking back it is mostly about bad hires and not bad firings. With that, Frost is not a bad hire at all, he's a great hire.

Heck, looking back firing Pelini was probably a mistake given we hired Riley. I know many at the time would say it was bad fire, but hiring Callahan was a mistake looking back at it. Obviously that entire coaching search was awful.

• Plus1 1