Purdue Week Pressers

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

Also, all of this talk about Thursday's practice needing to be better than Monday's...it's kind of a nonsensical thing to latch onto. Maybe one day is better than the other or maybe not.

Just seems like a pretty pointless talking point by everyone involved.

I don't see it that way at all. This staff has seen what championship practice looks like. If they are stressing it, it is important. And it is. We have to actually get better day by day and not just say it. The more you practice the game plan the more it should click as the week goes along. Sure there will always be a step back here or there, but the way they talk about it, it seems as if its been a consistent issue. You want to build toward the game and if your best practice was Monday, confidence levels have likely regressed since that Monday practice. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

I don't see it that way at all. This staff has seen what championship practice looks like. If they are stressing it, it is important. And it is. We have to actually get better day by day and not just say it. The more you practice the game plan the more it should click as the week goes along. Sure there will always be a step back here or there, but the way they talk about it, it seems as if its been a consistent issue. You want to build toward the game and if your best practice was Monday, confidence levels have likely regressed since that Monday practice. 

The practices are also very different on Monday and Thursday. Monday is really installing the gameplan, so you can expect mistakes but you have time to correct them. By Thursday they need to be gone, you can try to address things in the Friday walkthrough but obviously not with full speed reps. So it may or may not be fixed in the game, most likely not fixed. I guess it really depends on what they mean by "better," but the 4th practice for the same team should be objectively better than the 1st.

• Plus1 1
On 9/24/2018 at 4:53 PM, Dan_F_31 said:

Oh man. Now Purdue has bulletin board material for this 1-3 vs 0-3 deathmatch!

https://hailvarsity.com/s/4865/jeff-brohm-responds-to-scott-frosts-winnable-game-comment

What am i missing?  I heard Scott say it was a winnable game.  Did he say more than that?  I mean - technically, all games are winnable.  If that's what gets Purdue "up", then more power to them?

• Plus1 1

Dewitt must have been the originator (within the staff) of the “can, can’t or won’t. Can’t and won’t are the same thing. If a player makes the same mistake multiple times that’s a conscious decision.” I listened to Chin a few times and it sounds like he says “can and won’t are the same to me”. Dewitt might need to coach him up a bit.

6 hours ago, Undone said:

Also, all of this talk about Thursday's practice needing to be better than Monday's...it's kind of a nonsensical thing to latch onto. Maybe one day is better than the other or maybe not.

Just seems like a pretty pointless talking point by everyone involved.

If Nebraska was winning and coaches were saying that about practice, then I could agree that perhaps it is a bit "pointless."

However, the Huskers have looked steadily worse each week since Colorado.  The old adage, how you practice is how you play is extremely apt here.

So while you may deem it "pointless", I would say you're wrong and I think the coaches would say you're wrong. 

10 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

If Nebraska was winning and coaches were saying that about practice, then I could agree that perhaps it is a bit "pointless."

However, the Huskers have looked steadily worse each week since Colorado.  The old adage, how you practice is how you play is extremely apt here.

So while you may deem it "pointless", I would say you're wrong and I think the coaches would say you're wrong. 

I still wonder how much of this decline is due to the quarterback situation.  The defense has been building off the same gameplan so far...leaders have stepped up and such.  The offense, on the other hand has had to switch from one quarterback to the next each week.  Inconsistency is tough for a new system.  The special teams...well that one just has me perplexed.