Days of Yore Ain't No More

Got to thinking about the football program of the 70-90s.  Changes have made a huge impact.

The Scholly limits....we used to have way more spots on the roster than now.

The Freshman program---the freshmen had their own team...not sure if they counted in the total program count restrictions.  At any rate, most freshmen got game reps for a whole season.

Pipeline - with equity of programs and media exposure, good linemen aren't as likely to spend three years waiting their turn to play as juniors or seniors.  Even more so with skill players.

New rules - changes continue, like the four game rule will lead to more play bailing rather than fighting for a spot.

What other changes have I missed?

And these aren't valid excuses, as other teams still excel in this environment.  How have they adjusted?

• Plus1 2

I think we excelled because we had one the greatest coaches in CFB history. I can't imagine teams not adjusting over a 25 year period. I think those things have some factors don't get me wrong, but man I hate the excuses of other programs for explaining why middle of nowhere NEBRASKA was good and they weren't. CFB is just way more popular today - all teams have way more money, Nebraska has less in-state athletes over the years, and we have had no stability for a coaching staff. And it's not like Wisconsin who kept the same identity, we now are going for our third drastic change which just takes time to see results. 

12 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

Got to thinking about the football program of the 70-90s.  Changes have made a huge impact.

The Scholly limits....we used to have way more spots on the roster than now.

The Freshman program---the freshmen had their own team...not sure if they counted in the total program count restrictions.  At any rate, most freshmen got game reps for a whole season.

Pipeline - with equity of programs and media exposure, good linemen aren't as likely to spend three years waiting their turn to play as juniors or seniors.  Even more so with skill players.

New rules - changes continue, like the four game rule will lead to more play bailing rather than fighting for a spot.

What other changes have I missed?

And these aren't valid excuses, as other teams still excel in this environment.  How have they adjusted?

Its all about a great coach. All those things you listed above are valid. Everyone said the 90's huskers could not be replicated in todays college football. Alabama is doing it right now so it can be done. I think we have the right coach to get us there- it is gonna be a rough year. Maybe 2 years to build the foundation needed. 

And a lot of it had to do with how CFB has changed as well.  Look, for a long ass time your HC "retired" and became AD and shook hands, drank and played golf with boosters...

Once schools started to realize that football could be a money maker they started to invest in it...so crap teams that were always crap started to get a little better and top teams had less room for error.