Solid Foundation

I was listening to 1620 on the drive in today. Damon Benning had a segment I thought was really good. He was discussing how essentially Frost is putting value on building the program on a solid foundation over win now. I thought it was great because it explains what we are seeing. Sure Frost could play a few guys who may have more talent- but if they are not putting in the work monday-friday then he is going against what he is preaching about doing things the right way. This year may be rough until we get all the guys putting in the work and doing things the right way. 

Frost is taking heat for the losses. But in the long term it is going to pay dividends because we will have a strong foundation and culture to sustain success for many years into the future. Once the guys buy into working hard every day and you have an entire program built like that, everyone that is here will do that or they wont see the field. 

So I think as Husker Fans we need to relax because as Frost said "summer is coming" its just not here yet. I don't think I knew what he meant when he said he was going to build it the right way and it may take time. But I think I for one am starting to understand what he meant- also that is probably why he wanted the 7 year long contract to give him enough time to do it the right way. 

• Plus1 1

I agree.

As absolutely mind numbing as it is and as much as everyone wants wins.......wins right now are not the most important thing.

There is a cultural issue with work ethic and what it really takes to be a top program that is a major issue in this program.  

I still believe Frost is putting the guys on the field that he believes gives him the best chance of winning.  But, that decision is based on who is practicing the right way and showing it Monday -Thursday.

I actually think having a guy like Gebbia around was a good thing. He worked his butt off. So if anything he was a good culture guy to have around. I dont think it was him that wanted to leave I think his dad wanted him to. Hence why Verduzco said when he talked to him on Saturday Gebbia was on board to work hard and try to win the job back. Then Gebbia calls him the next day and sounds totally different and transfers. That smells of his dad to me.

• Plus1 2

I think there's a bit of overthinking in this stuff from Benning, and that's basically what sports talk radio is; filling a 30-60 minute time slot every day with something.

It's probably not all that complicated. We've got an offensive line that isn't very competitive, along with a couple players on defense that just don't put in much effort. We need to graduate some of this slack and rebuild with an incredible quarterback and some really talented young skill players on offense.

Being that we're only three games into the season I'm not sure we've even seen enough football to know what the overall plan is for this season. And because of the Akron cancellation and Martinez's injury, all of the initial panic over being 0-3 wasn't really warranted in the first place.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

I think there's a bit of overthinking in this stuff from Benning, and that's basically what sports talk radio is; filling a 30-60 minute time slot every day with something.

It's probably not all that complicated. We've got an offensive line that isn't very competitive, along with a couple players on defense that just don't put in much effort. We need to graduate some of this slack and rebuild with an incredible quarterback and some really talented young skill players on offense.

Being that we're only three games into the season I'm not sure we've even seen enough football to know what the overall plan is for this season.

I think it was last week that Benning said Frost told him he is re-teaching how the players get off the bus to walk into the stadium on game days.  

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think it was last week that Benning said Frost told him he is re-teaching how the players get off the bus to walk into the stadium on game days.  

Ha. Interesting.

I just want to watch Martinez play football this Saturday with a (hopefully) healthy knee. Want to watch him torch the Boilermakers.

22 minutes ago, Undone said:

Being that we're only three games into the season I'm not sure we've even seen enough football to know what the overall plan is for this season. And because of the Akron cancellation and Martinez's injury, all of the initial panic over being 0-3 wasn't really warranted in the first place.

I agree with this.  I don't believe things are that bad.  I think we beat Akron in the opener...hard fought game though.  A healthy AM beats Troy.  Colorado could've gone our way as well but we'll never know with AM getting hurt at the end and making game 1 mistakes in what should have been game 2.  A lot of things have fallen wrong for us this season.  I expect things to balance back out and we catch some breaks and show improvement as the team gains confidence. 

• Plus1 1

The main concern I have for the remaining 8 out of 9 games is stopping the run in conference play. If it looks like it did against Colorado, I'm expecting to definitely see overall improvement as the weeks go on.

Not looking forward to playing Wisconsin...but I'm pretty sure we can get six wins as long as Martinez doesn't get hurt again.