QB Patrick Witt

source there is a pic of him on the link as well, (OWH)

LINCOLN - Finally, a quarterback.

Patrick Witt

The Nebraska football team secured its most important recruiting victory of the season Wednesday, scoring a pledge from strong-armed QB Patrick Witt. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound senior to be at Wylie (Texas) High School picked the Huskers over scholarship offers from Texas Tech, Baylor and Wisconsin, among others.

And Witt, whose contact with NU began only a week ago, said the Huskers have no reason to worry about another late recruiting defection.

"There's no school that's going to lure me away," Witt said. "It's Nebraska football. I'm so excited. I couldn't have found a better school. Tell them I'm a Husker no matter what."

Witt plans to finish high school in December and participate in spring practice next year, when auditions to succeed Zac Taylor figure to grow intense.

Nebraska returns only Harrison Beck with notable experience, plus fellow reserves Joe Ganz and Beau Davis at quarterback after this year. It was a situation made more precarious last December after Josh Freeman broke his commitment of six months to sign with Kansas State.

The Huskers' eighth oral commitment for the class of 2007, Witt said NU coaches made "no promises" about their intentions to recruit other quarterbacks in this class.

"I completely understand if they want to bring in two, especially with what happened last year," Witt said. "I'd like to be the only high school guy, but nothing has been guaranteed. And they are probably looking to bring in a junior-college quarterback.

"Of course, I want to play as soon as possible. But my goal is not to win that spot as a freshman. It's to learn the offense and then bridge the gap mentally."

His commitment relieves some pressure on the Huskers after prospects like Jarrett Lee, Ryan Mallett, Chris Forcier and Lyle Moevao picked against Nebraska.

Witt completed 63 percent of his passes, throwing for more than 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns last year at Parkview High in Lilburn, Ga. He moved with his parents - both commercial pilots -?in January to attend Wylie, a tradition-rich 5-A school near Dallas.

The recruiting attention soon followed.

"The exposure you get in Texas," Witt said, "it's unrivaled in any other state."

Of Witt, Wylie coach Bill Howard said: "Anybody that ever saw him and met him offered him."

But Nebraska didn't see Witt until last week, when his film arrived at Memorial Stadium. He was soon on the phone with offensive coordinator Jay Norvell and recruiting coordinator Shawn Watson.

On Saturday, with a flight from Dallas available to Witt only because of his parents' aviation connections, he visited Lincoln on a last-minute trip.

"It blew me away," Witt said. "I was ushered right in, got to meet all of the coaches in person. The entire staff was there on a Saturday. I think that impressed me most."

Witt said he wasn't sure what to expect from Callahan and Norvell, both former NFL coaches.

"They were very down to Earth," the quarterback said. "They made me feel so welcome."

Witt will run a spread offense at Wylie this fall, with a pair of Division-I receiving prospects on one side of the field. It differs greatly from the run-oriented attack, featuring five-star back Caleb King, that Witt operated in Georgia last season.

"For people who are big on stats, my numbers are going to look a lot better," Witt said. "But one of the things Coach Callahan told me is that he doesn't care about my stats. He's seen me on film and told me that I'm good enough to run his offense. That was a big deal to me."

Though he has yet to coach the quarterback in a game, Howard described Witt as a "great young man."

"He's very mature for his age," Howard said, "and he's got a great deal of character. By the way he handles himself and deals with people, he sets himself apart. And with his arm strength and maturity, from what I've seen, Patrick's got a chance to play on Sunday someday."

Witt is a better WCO QB. Witt is already at 6'4" and 215 pounds while Gray is 6'2" 185 pounds. Witt has a low release, but has a cannon, and i think he has more power and a better touch than Gray. The only reason Witt isnt as popular amongst rivals and scout is because his old HS team passed very little, they had caleb king(5 star rb) in the backfield who rushed for close to 3000 yards in his junior season. Witt now has the reigns of a spread offense that will showcase his ablilities more, and could be a 4 star QB by November.

I've got a little insight into this Witt deal, since (1) I played in a Wing-T offense in HS, and (2) I am familiar with Parkview HS in Georgia, as I used to live in Atlanta.

One, it is hard for a QB to put up good numbers in the Wing-T, a run-first offense which is about misdirection and movement in the backfield. Most routes in that offense are underneath routes (which actually bodes well for the WCO). I imagine Witt is very good with ball fakes because of his time in a Wing-T. I can't wait to see the big schools come knocking after Witt after they see him throw this fall.

Two, Parkview is a major HS program in Georgia. One of the top five. Thus, there will be no intimidation factor for this kid in Texas or in the Big 12. He's a big-timer.

Also, Witt's HS coach said Oklahoma was about to offer Witt when he committed to Nebraska. Finally, a win over Stoops...