**Lou Tech pre-game thread**

Will Coach Cally wear red? Yes

First Husker scoring connection? K Wilson, HB Iso How long? 33yds

Will we sell out the athletic venue to max capacity? Yes, eveyone wants to see this team and uh the screen :horns2

Result of Tech's first offensive drive? TFL, INT to Stevo for a TD

Could the rumors be true about Lil Reds battle with bulimia?? WTF? I like him the way he/she is

Players of the game? ZT 400+yds and Stevo 2 Ints 2 TDs

Is this the same thread for the "predict the score" contest? Whatever. I'll change my original prediction to - Nebraska 38 - Louisiana Tech 13.

Though Cally has been stressing the run (Spring Game), I think that it will be a balanced attack ("balanced" meaning equal amount of passing and rushing attempts).

NU - 210 rushing and 330 passing.

Defensively, I think that our DBs will be tested. LTech will try to move the ball through the air. They won't have a choice because our D will their running game cold.

LTech - 40 rushing and 260 passing.

:restore

Tech tags Champion as starter

August 25, 2006

ADVERTISEMENT

By Jimmy Watson

jimwatson@gannett.com

The heated battle for Louisiana Tech's starting quarterback job came down to just one on Thursday when Tech coach Jack Bicknell named Zac Champion as the starter.

That fact should come as little surprise to Tech fans, since Champion had been considered the front runner to succeed Matt Kubik since the spring. It was up to JUCO transfer Joe Danna and redshirt freshman Michael Mosley to upstage the junior -- and they didn't.

"I'd be comfortable playing any one of the three," Bicknell said. "They are all very talented. It basically came down to the fact that neither Joe nor Michael beat him out.

"Zac did a great job; they all did really. He has been here longer and thus his overall knowledge of the offense gives him the edge. The other guys are still in the developmental stage."

Champion will be behind center when the Bulldogs open the season on Sept. 2 against the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Champion, who was aggressive in trying to secure Terry Bradshaw's autograph on Tuesday, isn't flashy but he was the most consistent of the trio throughout the spring and into fall drills.

The Bessemer, Ala., native has been in the Tech program for three seasons, but has little college experience. His live action to date has consisted of five games where he completed 6 of 8 passes for 38 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions.

"It's definitely exciting for me to be the starter," Champion said. "I'm really pumped up about it, and I'm ready to get out there and try to win us some games."

Champion won't be looking over his shoulder, as Kubik did early last season with Donald Allen staying in the mix. But Bicknell did indicate that the job isn't totally nailed down.

"The competition is not over by any stretch," Bicknell said. "These guys still have to compete. The evaluation is not over. The most I'll say is he is the starter at Nebraska and then we will go from there."

I will be very concerned if they end up with 260 yards passing. New QB, hostile stadium. Talent not on the same level. They get 260 we better be very worried about SC.....

My guess is we will be much stronger on both sides of the ball. Some break downs but no real hard fought drives on their part.

45-7 is my guess.

Less than 200 yards total offense.