DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

Ignoring the content for a sec - why do you post things like this instead of just posting your opinion? Your opinion matters more to us than some random on Twitter none of us have ever heard of.

My opinion matters more to you than some random twitter guy? Oh you mean those opinions that majority of you didn't agree with called me a moron, misogynistic and other names.....I'm sorry......but.....pass
  • Fire 1

Ignoring the content for a sec - why do you post things like this instead of just posting your opinion? Your opinion matters more to us than some random on Twitter none of us have ever heard of.

My opinion matters more to you than some random twitter guy? Oh you mean those opinions that majority of you didn't agree with called me a moron, misogynistic and other names.....I'm sorry......but.....pass

I seriously want some who voted for Trump, who defends Trump, to explain:

• all the scandals,
  • the fact that he's about to launch us into a third (and possibly fourth concurrent) war.
  • the insane, batsh#t crazy, and utterly corrupt practices, policies, and turmoil surrounding this dumpster fire of an administration
  • how Trump plans to take Syria's Assad out of power
  • how allowing companies to pollute to environment,
  • getting rid of the ethics oversight office,
  • and taking away net neutrality

Please explain to me how ANY of this reality television-esque BULLSH** happening within the Trump administration "...makes America 'great' again..."

Please please please tell me...I'm all ears.

The US knew Japan was going to attack a major installation in December, 1942 and let it happen for strategic reasons. Let's not pretend there aren't strategic reasons why Trump and Putin would cook something like this up.

It benefits both men at home. People rally around the flag. Both are facing dissent and protests. A little fracas like this could erase a lot of that stuff from the front page, a nice distraction at the vheap cost of a few lives.

I like the balance. I wish I had that much time to check them all out. You note the BBC - sometimes you can get news from them that isn't easily found with our major networks. I like your last statement in bold. You have reminded me several times to ck my bias - I appreciate that. It is easy out of convenience to settle into the 2-4 sources (for me due to time constraints - when I get home at night I rarely turn on the TV or get on the computer)

All evidence to the contrary, of course.

? I give a guy a compliment about his post and he comes back wt something snarky like this?? :dunno

• Fire 2

we should be improving relationships with Russia

Why? They are our staunchest enemy, and they have shown zero interest in having a peaceful relationship with America. They do not desire American security or prosperity, nor do they want to see America benefit from its position in the world in any way.

Putin is a hardliner, a throwback to the worst days of the Cold War, and has actively meddled in American politics. So what if America has meddled - two wrongs don't make a right, and WE ARE AMERICANS.

This Trump-esque line is stupid. It is anti-American, anti-American interests, and is the worst kind of cozening an enemy. I find it disgusting.

Our Staunchest Enemy - I agree and so did Romney in the 2012 debate. He had the foresight to understand what may go down. Putin is a hardliner - agree 100%. He is a Jerk & Thug to the Nth degree.

Why Improve relationships? What I mean by that - is that we never compromise our values for the sake of relationship. Why improve: Because Putin (Pukein) won't be there forever. I'm thinking back to Reagan. He called Russia(Soviet Union) the Evil empire, spoke against it in public and painted it for what it was - a threat to all of mankind. Putin's Russia is not the same as the Soviet Union. A menacing, unstable threat - yes but not up to the Soviet level. While Reagan was raging a PR campaign against the Soviets in public and building up our military, he was trying to negotiate and resolve the nuclear threat behind the scenes. He famously complained years later that the Soviet leaders kept dying off on him. 3 leaders died in office until Gobby came along in 1985. Reagan had said that he was trying to find a leader who would work with him. Finally one came along. It became the Soviet's best interest to come into agreement with Reagan on the nuke issues and on stopping MAD (wt the constant build up of weapons). Currently it is in our best interests and the Russian's best interest to rid the world of ISIS. Stalin was a thug worse then Putin but FDR worked with him to get rid of Nazism. One day Putin will be gone and hopefully a more reasonable person will be in charge. Of course the new situation in Syria can/will throw a monkey wrench into this argument. Assad is a Russian puppet. There are certain "terrorists" Putin likes and Assad is one as well as those who lead in Iran - all doing his bidding. But Reagan kept working towards a deal even while the Soviets were undermining our interests around the world. Trump is no Reagan - not even close. Trump has not the intelligence, demeanor, skill and depth of understanding that Reagan had at his time. One can only hope that after the cruse missile attack on Syria that Trump will show restraint and that Putin doesn't over react on behalf of his puppet (even as Russian ships are moving into the area now)

we should be improving relationships with Russia

Why? They are our staunchest enemy, and they have shown zero interest in having a peaceful relationship with America. They do not desire American security or prosperity, nor do they want to see America benefit from its position in the world in any way.

Putin is a hardliner, a throwback to the worst days of the Cold War, and has actively meddled in American politics. So what if America has meddled - two wrongs don't make a right, and WE ARE AMERICANS.

This Trump-esque line is stupid. It is anti-American, anti-American interests, and is the worst kind of cozening an enemy. I find it disgusting.

Our Staunchest Enemy - I agree and so did Romney in the 2012 debate. He had the foresight to understand what may go down. Putin is a hardliner - agree 100%. He is a Jerk & Thug to the Nth degree.

Why Improve relationships? What I mean by that - is that we never compromise our values for the sake of relationship. Why improve: Because Putin (Pukein) won't be there forever. I'm thinking back to Reagan. He called Russia(Soviet Union) the Evil empire, spoke against it in public and painted it for what it was - a threat to all of mankind. Putin's Russia is not the same as the Soviet Union. A menacing, unstable threat - yes but not up to the Soviet level. While Reagan was raging a PR campaign against the Soviets in public and building up our military, he was trying to negotiate and resolve the nuclear threat behind the scenes. He famously complained years later that the Soviet leaders kept dying off on him. 3 leaders died in office until Gobby came along in 1985. Reagan had said that he was trying to find a leader who would work with him. Finally one came along. It became the Soviet's best interest to come into agreement with Reagan on the nuke issues and on stopping MAD (wt the constant build up of weapons). Currently it is in our best interests and the Russian's best interest to rid the world of ISIS. Stalin was a thug worse then Putin but FDR worked with him to get rid of Nazism. One day Putin will be gone and hopefully a more reasonable person will be in charge. Of course the new situation in Syria can/will throw a monkey wrench into this argument. Assad is a Russian puppet. There are certain "terrorists" Putin likes and Assad is one as well as those who lead in Iran - all doing his bidding. But Reagan kept working towards a deal even while the Soviets were undermining our interests around the world. Trump is no Reagan - not even close. Trump has not the intelligence, demeanor, skill and depth of understanding that Reagan had at his time. One can only hope that after the cruse missile attack on Syria that Trump will show restraint and that Putin doesn't over react on behalf of his puppet (even as Russian ships are moving into the area now)

Opps double post

I will say one thing. I have a customer who is an old Italian on Long Island. He literally grew up on the same block as John Gotti. When talking about business competition, I would always ask how in the hell he knew so much about our competition......he leans over to me and says in his NY accent...."Keep your friends close and your enemies closer". No sh#t. The first time he did that to me I about crapped.

I have always felt this with US international relations. We are enemies with Russia. But, we need to keep them close to know what they are doing. This doesn't mean you jump in bed with them. You keep communications open.

I have always thought this is a major problem with our relations with Iran when we refused to even talk to them.

The US knew Japan was going to attack a major installation in December, 1942 and let it happen for strategic reasons. Let's not pretend there aren't strategic reasons why Trump and Putin would cook something like this up.

It benefits both men at home. People rally around the flag. Both are facing dissent and protests. A little fracas like this could erase a lot of that stuff from the front page, a nice distraction at the vheap cost of a few lives.

1941 (just a typo - I know you knew that). First line about Japan is very true. 2nd line - not beyond reason - but until it plays out - it is speculation. If it plays out with a 'nothing to see here' after a while then you may be spot on.

My concern is that the GWB neocons have gotten to Trump - those in both parties who see war in the Middle east as a good thing. Trump campaigned on no new wars, keep out of other country's internal affairs, we can't afford to get entangled. To tell me that he changed his whole foreign policy based on pictures of the children who were killed is a bit troubling. Granted, we should be troubled by the death of innocent children for sure but do we get entangled in wars on every continent where kids are kidnapped, killed? Terrorists are killing children in Africa and in Asia. I'm still trying to come to grips with what I think of this attack. Some questions: Is it our role to police the world, how do we avenge the death of innocent people? Assad is a thug - so was Saddam. Is it our role to remove them both? What do we end up with then? Do we have a moral duty as a nation and if so, What is it in this situation and how do we best carry this out?

I will say one thing. I have a customer who is an old Italian on Long Island. He literally grew up on the same block as John Gotti. When talking about business competition, I would always ask how in the hell he knew so much about our competition......he leans over to me and says in his NY accent...."Keep your friends close and your enemies closer". No sh#t. The first time he did that to me I about crapped.

I have always felt this with US international relations. We are enemies with Russia. But, we need to keep them close to know what they are doing. This doesn't mean you jump in bed with them. You keep communications open.

I have always thought this is a major problem with our relations with Iran when we refused to even talk to them.

Agree 1000%. I will give Obama a :thumbs on that- he opened the door to talks with Iran. I don't think we got the best deal but we started down a path instead of shutting doors.

• Fire 1

That was pretty bold of Obama, too. It went against well-established American foreign policy orthodoxy and was regarded as a serious political gaffe at the time.

In a lot of ways Obama ended up a fairly establishment guy. But his foreign policy vision is what led me to support him ultimately (well, that and Sarah Palin didn't make it exactly a hard choice...). It's not just that it stood out, it's that it ended up being the right idea.

Of course, overall his foreign policy record remains checkered. Lots of good, certainly, and lots of restoring America's name after the Bush years. There's bad, too, and a lot of tough areas in the gray.