Bourbon, Whisky and Scotch

Bourbon is usually the sweetest, is that correct?

To me Canadian whiskey tastes the sweetest. I like bourbon better than anything else (currently made). Prefer American blended next. Or maybe Jack Daniels.

I can't drink Jack Daniels, it makes me throw up. I can drink all other brands of bourbon except for JD.

Bourbon is usually the sweetest, is that correct?

To me Canadian whiskey tastes the sweetest. I like bourbon better than anything else (currently made). Prefer American blended next. Or maybe Jack Daniels.

I can't drink Jack Daniels, it makes me throw up. I can drink all other brands of bourbon except for JD.

Jack Daniels is not bourbon. Its Tennessee whiskey. Semantics yes, but most here seem to think bourbon is much different than whiskey.

I think scotch is more diverse in flavor versus bourbon/Tennessee whiskey. As NM previously stated, there are different scotch producing regions and this equates to differing flavor profiles - smoky, honey sweet, a mix, and some are finished in former casks that housed rum, sherry, or some other spirit which lends itself to more complex flavor.

I am no expert as I recently got into scotch at the age of 33 and wish I had started sooner. The below link should be helpful for anyone interested in scotch:

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/scotch-whisky101-a-beginners/

I am a Glenmorangie fan myself, a nice single malt for drinking neat at a reasonable price.

Cheers

I like em all. Scotch is what I really enjoy though...especially accompanied with a cigar. Glenlivet, Aberlour, and Macallan are my favorites.

Bourbon? Try Four Roses or Bulleit as both are reasonably priced and imo really good.

If you are in Omaha, keep an eye out for Spirit World, Copa Cabana, or Grane to do tastings for Bourbons or Scotch and give it a try.

And to answer your question, read this:

http://www.realmendrinkwhiskey.com/know-your-whiskey-the-difference-between-bourbon-and-scotch/

I prefer scotch but I haven't really tested bourbon or whiskey. The few times I have had them straight I didn't much enjoy them, and I really don't enjoy the smoky flavors.

I was interested in getting into scotch drinking so I started doing some research and found several people recommending Auchentoshan as a good brand to get started with. It's a 12-year-old single malt and I really enjoy it. Comes in at around $50 a bottle.

For the bourbon/whiskey drinkers out there, any recommendations to start with? Again, I'm not a big fan of smoky flavors in liquor so if you've got any that aren't like that... :thumbs

For the bourbon/whiskey drinkers out there, any recommendations to start with? Again, I'm not a big fan of smoky flavors in liquor so if you've got any that aren't like that... :thumbs

I'm pretty much a Jim Beam and Maker's Mark guy and enjoy them on the rocks with just a splash of 7-up.....very small splash.

Yeah, plain ole Jim Beam is pretty darn good. And even though it's technically not a bourbon, Jack Daniels is pretty good too. It's distilled in the same way as bourbon—but it's bottled in Tennessee rather than Kentucky so it's not a bourbon.