Memorial Stadium Renovation

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

They used to have one of each.  Now they'll only have grass.

Although, to be fair, it's possible that the new practice field (in conjunction with the new facility) will be turf.

That makes sense, two turf fields (one in Memorial Stadium, one in the indoor facility) and two grass fields in the outdoor practice area. Now they can grow one grass field to US Open length rough in preparation to play at Northwestern. 

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

23 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That makes sense, two turf fields (one in Memorial Stadium, one in the indoor facility) and two grass fields in the outdoor practice area. Now they can grow one grass field to US Open length rough in preparation to play at Northwestern. 

Need a lot of spray paint too

• Oh Yeah! 1
On 5/2/2023 at 10:54 AM, soup said:

I saw something today, that all of the outdoor practice fields are going to grass now instead of turf.  Is there a chance that Memorial will go grass in the future, or is that just wishful thinking and reading way to much into the practice field update?

I wish.

Every 8 years, difficult to dispose of discarded turf.  Special landfill (expensive).  According to EPA, fake turf contains toxic chemicals, known to cause cancer.

https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news/new-studies-show-pfas-artificial-grass-blades-and-backing

Grass-like blades and the backing of artificial turf contain the highly toxic fluorinated chemicals. Exposed to chemicals in turf either from touching or swallowing the crumbled rubber pellets that make up the backing

2016-alm-naturalgrass-vs-artificial-surface-temps-hongkong.jpg

Joined elite schools like OU, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, USC, Vols, LSU, TCU, etc., etc., etc. .... all natural grass. Plus Big10, Penn State, Michigan St, NW and Purdue.  And tOSU? ..... schedule '24-'25 off-season, install from Field Turf surface to natural grass. NFL stadiums, majority of real grass surface like Arrowhead, Mile High, Lambeau Field, Soldiers and some more. Same thing as MLB.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34892255/rams-wr-cooper-kupp-all-nfl-games-played-grass

I miss nice odor, softer, cooler, less injuries, ......

• Thanks 4

On 5/5/2023 at 12:49 AM, Hooked on Huskers said:

I wish.

Every 8 years, difficult to dispose of discarded turf.  Special landfill (expensive).  According to EPA, fake turf contains toxic chemicals, known to cause cancer.

https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news/new-studies-show-pfas-artificial-grass-blades-and-backing

2016-alm-naturalgrass-vs-artificial-surface-temps-hongkong.jpg

Joined elite schools like OU, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, USC, Vols, LSU, TCU, etc., etc., etc. .... all natural grass. Plus Big10, Penn State, Michigan St, NW and Purdue.  And tOSU? ..... schedule '24-'25 off-season, install from Field Turf surface to natural grass. NFL stadiums, majority of real grass surface like Arrowhead, Mile High, Lambeau Field, Soldiers and some more. Same thing as MLB.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34892255/rams-wr-cooper-kupp-all-nfl-games-played-grass

I miss nice odor, softer, cooler, less injuries, ......

Lambeau Field is not all grass. It is a mixture of grass and artificial. 

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Not doubting, but very curious as to how that works.

A lot of professional soccer facilities use a natural/artificial turf mix.  From what I understand the artificial turf (very short blades) is placed first, then you seed to grow the grass.  For any mowing you are just cutting the natural grass.  It is said to be much stronger than a traditional grass field, way less slippage and divots being taken while cutting.

I am actually surprised that Rhule didn't go with that when turning the practice fields to natural grass since he seems to be up on all the newest technologies.

As for how it works, I just googled and this was the first hit I got https://www.grassmax.com/hybrid-stitching

Looks like Jack Trice in Ames has it.

• Plus1 3

Sparty probably has the best fields in the B1G, I know they've been perfect when I've been there. Sparty has 2 and 4 year turf management programs. They won the 2005 and 2016 Majestic Football Field National Championship or something. 2016 has a tribute to Mike Sadler.

Any reason our East Campus tractor jockeys can't grow an acre and half of grass as nice as them?

• 2 months later...