Spring Game Overreaction Thread

Ok I will overreact.  This game did not instill confidence in me.  Turnovers and penalties killed us for the last half decade and that's what we got in spades.  I thought Rhule was a detail guy who would cut those down.  After Sims and Casey our QB room is not good.  I'm ready to personally transfer a couple of them. I don't know what position I want HH to play, but it's not QB.  The Two TEs we're all very excited about looked pedestrian.  Our offensive line looked like it hasn't improved.  I'm annoyed that we attempted a 48 yarder into the wind.  That is such a hard kick and we all knew he was going to miss when he lined up.  Getting to a bowl game is going to be hard.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Who wasn't available yesterday besides Teddy? 

Reimer, Robinson, Henrich, Gunnerson, Borders, Wright, Farmer, ICG?

Gunnerson,  Borders, & Farmer all played 

20 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Not sure it’s fair to expect 6 years of tailspin to look night and day different in12 practices. 

14 + 1 spring game 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

There was a receiver who started the game who looked incredible! I'm not gonna name him because I don't want to give him the curse of the Spring Game Star.
I guess the most hyperbolic I can be is knowing that the teams we saw play will not be the final team that plays in the fall.

• Fire 1

Im not going to overreact bc first it wasn't a real game and second this by far isn't the finished product.  Nebraska has had 14 practices up to the point of the spring game and my observation was the play calling was very vanilla.  They ran the ball but didn't throw many down field 30-40 yard bombs.  Maybe HC Matt Rhule wants this team to run the ball 30-40 times until the fourth quarter to tire out opposing defenses and then throw the ball.  I do think that Casey Thompson is a better passing qb and Jeff Sims is a better runner.  It will be up to the coaches to decide the best course of action moving forward.

33 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Im not going to overreact bc first it wasn't a real game and second this by far isn't the finished product.  Nebraska has had 14 practices up to the point of the spring game and my observation was the play calling was very vanilla.  They ran the ball but didn't throw many down field 30-40 yard bombs.  Maybe HC Matt Rhule wants this team to run the ball 30-40 times until the fourth quarter to tire out opposing defenses and then throw the ball.  I do think that Casey Thompson is a better passing qb and Jeff Sims is a better runner.  It will be up to the coaches to decide the best course of action moving forward.

Or maybe last year’s offense was “Chuck it downfield to Palmer” twice a quarter because we really couldn’t do anything else. I don’t have an issue with trying to get the ball to their best offensive player (in Palmer) but it wasn’t a sustainable strategy. 

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Or maybe last year’s offense was “Chuck it downfield to Palmer” twice a quarter because we really couldn’t do anything else. I don’t have an issue with trying to get the ball to their best offensive player (in Palmer) but it wasn’t a sustainable strategy. 

Im not saying they have to throw it like last year but its my belief that they should be a balanced team.  Not all run or not all throwing.  Like I said yesterday wasn't a REAL GAME.  Just one can hope they aren't so vanilla with the play calling when it does matter.

4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Im not saying they have to throw it like last year but its my belief that they should be a balanced team.  Not all run or not all throwing.  Like I said yesterday wasn't a REAL GAME.  Just one can hope they aren't so vanilla with the play calling when it does matter.

I haven’t watched the Spring game yet, and I may skim through it. If you are expecting exotic offenses in a Spring game, then you are the foolish one. I have no idea what the offense will look like next fall. I keep hearing “balance” from people,  but what does that exactly mean?  I think it’s just an overused term. 

19 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I didn’t think they were that vanilla on offense. Ran a lot of RPOs, some qb run game, unbalanced formations, motions, mixed in some 2 back and ran some iso, FB trap, and  screen that looked promising, got into some empty too. 

special teams ran a couple fake punts. 

defense was bringing juice. DL was moving all over the place, bring LBs, dropping nose tackles to the hole dropper. Mixed up our coverages too. 

As far as spring games go, this one was as close to a real game as you will find. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I haven’t watched the Spring game yet, and I may skim through it. If you are expecting exotic offenses in a Spring game, then you are the foolish one. I have no idea what the offense will look like next fall. I keep hearing “balance” from people,  but what does that exactly mean?  I think it’s just an overused term. 

Balanced means your throwing and running attempts are close to each other.  I didn't expect an exotic offense during the spring game but I thought the number they were going to score more then 21 points.  For all those highlights that the University puts out showing practices the spring game certainly didn't make you feel like the offense was moving in the right direction.  It was a off day for them and the defense won the day.  Nebraska attempted to run the ball all game and occasionally throw the ball.  There wasn't much offense pace for the game.