Spring Game - Discussion Thread

I thought it went about as expected, from play calling to execution. 

The biggest thing I took away was Rhule, himself. He was clearly in charge, active, and tried to take advantage of the situations that were presented. This didn’t feel like a throwaway day, as spring games often do.

I know some of the execution may be questioned for the next few months, and that’s totally fair, but I think everyone should be a little more confident that some of the gameday management issues that have plagued this team for so long will be immediately remedied and over time those execution errors will decrease.

• Plus1 4
  • Oh Yeah! 1

For all the drooling over fullbacks, under center and 13 personnel, we saw a ton of shotgun 3- and 4- (and 5-!) wide.  Which was what I expected.

I liked that we threw a lot of intermediate routes - slants and 6-8 yard curls.  Our QBs seemed pretty accurate on those throws.  There weren't much for deep shots, and we weren't good on the ones that were there.  Hopefully that changes.

I'll give the OL the benefit of the doubt on lack of available bodies and lots of snaps.  They seemed to do fairly well in the first quarter, though there was still not a lot of room to run the ball.  Pretty ugly in the second half.

I hope Princewell and Lenhardt are just that good ..... and not the other option.

Kemp might not be a blazer but he looks to have enough quickness and moves to be a great addition.

Lots of drops and fumbles.  Not a good sign.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
14 minutes ago, THROW_DEM_BONES said:

Stenger as a 6'2 190 lb fullback? Interesting.

Bonner is 6'3 200 in comparison.

Either way, they need to bulk to play fullback.

Bonner is about 215-220 now FYI. Just tall. The roster weights are very off. They are just copied over from last year. 

• Thanks 1

Most encouraged by the defense and play of quarterback Simms.

We just don’t have experienced deep threats. That’s an area we’re probably going to have a challenge with  for some time to come until those speedsters get some seasoning. 

Expected a little more production from our backs. Maybe some of that’s the strength of the run defense. Part of that’s not having a legitimate vertical threat. Not much at all for break away runs there.

Physically the team looks leaner and a bit more agile. The offensive line in particular to me seemed to me to have improved movement. Both lines were more fluid. 

TE Gilbert struck out the times that he had opportunities. The tight ends will be integral. 

Haarberg’s play was also disappointing.

Too many fumbles. 

The defense will likely carry the team. At least in the earlier stages of the season. They’re missing some pieces and played well. Coach White should have a formidable group.

It’d be great if we could make at least one good addition to the O-line. 

It’ll be interesting how the QB competition between Thompson and Simms plays out. We’ll have two solid quarterback options.

• Plus1 1