Spring Game - Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, M.A. said:

Most encouraged by the defense and play of quarterback Simms.

We just don’t have experienced deep threats. That’s an area we’re probably going to have a challenge with  for some time to come until those speedsters get some seasoning. 

Expected a little more production from our backs. Maybe some of that’s the strength of the run defense. Part of that’s not having a legitimate vertical threat. Not much at all for break away runs there.

Physically the team looks leaner and a bit more agile. The offensive line in particular to me seemed to me to have improved movement. Both lines were more fluid. 

TE Gilbert struck out the times that he had opportunities. The tight ends will be integral. 

Haarberg’s play was also disappointing.

Too many fumbles. 

The defense will likely carry the team. At least in the earlier stages of the season. They’re missing some pieces and played well. Coach White should have a formidable group.

It’d be great if we could make at least one good addition to the O-line. 

It’ll be interesting how the QB competition between Thompson and Simms plays out. We’ll have two solid quarterback options.

Where was Logan Smothers? Is he injured? Will he be transferring?

Logan is also out with shoulder surgery. As with both Casey & Teddy. 

I did not view this as a glorified scrimmage. I really liked some of the emotion shown by the kids, especially by Sherman on defense. The ball was on the ground way too much for my liking. Perhaps some of that can be attributed to the defense and some to players trying to prove or over prove themselves. Rhule and staff will have to work hard to clean things up because we are nowhere close to being good enough to overcome a lot of turnovers come fall. 

Sims and Kemp showed some nice things. So we have to feel good about that.

it was great to see Frank back in the stadium. The huge smile on his face just shortly after halftime said it all. 

There were bound to be mistakes and a few unconventional penalties or sloppy plays. I do think that the fumbles were unnecessary and must be a focal point for this team moving forward. Other than that, I just can't judge a team playing itself. Maybe our defense is actually elite, our backups actually awful, or our red zone offense somewhat efficient.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Some of you guys are crazy. Looked at the Wisconsin one as well and they threw pick galore. IT WAS THE FIRST SPRING! Good god! A lot of those fellas will get processed out and new blood in. It will be fine.

however portal shopping at OT should be of the highest priorities this off-season. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Decked said:

Some of you guys are crazy. Looked at the Wisconsin one as well and they threw pick galore. IT WAS THE FIRST SPRING! Good god! A lot of those fellas will get processed out and new blood in. It will be fine. 

Everything is terrible. We’re screwed.There is no hope!

In reality, it’s somewhere in between horrible and great. We’ve collectively been chugging the sweet stuff. A lot of things are being thrown at these guys and we’re nowhere where we want to be. Many different things to consider.

We’ve got lots of work to do sure. We’ve just gotta trust the process. Keep on grinding away and fulfilling the commitment of improving. We’re just not a 9-3 team. Nowhere near it. They’ll get better!

11 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Everything is terrible. We’re screwed.There is no hope!

In reality, it’s somewhere in between horrible and great. We’ve collectively been chugging the sweet stuff. A lot of things are being thrown at these guys and we’re nowhere where we want to be. Many different things to consider.

We’ve got lots of work to do sure. We’ve just gotta trust the process. Keep on grinding away and fulfilling the commitment of improving. We’re just not a 9-3 team. Nowhere near it. They’ll get better!

Here for the long haul 

52 minutes ago, Decked said:

however portal shopping at OT should be of the highest priorities this off-season. 

Agree.  Some people may need to temper their lofty expectations a bit for this season.  Maybe we'll get pleasantly surprised.  Some key dudes didn't even play yesterday and fumbles can get cleaned up.  I am optimistic about DC White and his defense for the future.  CT vs Sims QB comp in the fall should be good. Haarberg needs to switch to WR or hit the portal.   1000% on the OT portal shopping.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Decked said:

I liked the hitting on both sides of the ball.  I thought they looked more physical.  I also liked the soft stuff (celebrating and head slaps) after good plays.

Sims looks good.  So does Kemp.

I liked what I saw.

44 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I liked the hitting on both sides of the ball.  I thought they looked more physical.  I also liked the soft stuff (celebrating and head slaps) after good plays.

Sims looks good.  So does Kemp.

I liked what I saw.

Some good stuff to build on and I think a lot of the bad stuff is more short term and fixable. Some glaring holes however in the OT spot and quality depth along the #2s especially among WR. Gilbert was kind of disappointing. Still bullish on the TE room though. 

would also like another big body at DT & backup ILB. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

I'm glad I don't put a lot of stock in the Spring Game because it really wasn't a great showing yesterday.

Or was it? Maybe the defense is pretty damned good.

But given that the coaches were more willing to go for broke/have a little fun with fourth down calls and fake punts, I was discouraged to see them call five yard hook routes on 3rd and 7.  It's not like they're saving a look to fool Minnesota. 

I remember crisper Spring Games with fewer turnovers in years that turned out really s#!tty, so let's roll with Bizzarro World and the promise of crisper real life games in a few months. 

• Plus1 1