Spring Game - Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I doubt very seriously that this is what happened. 

Watching this game, I was reminded that even back when we were very good with a high powered offense, many times the defense looked way ahead of the offense this time of year. 

Im just hoping that more reps in fall camp gets the offense clicking more. 

It's not.  Only an idiot would do that.  No one is starting a program with someone they consider not right for the job just to sign a high school player.  It's really pretty ridiculous if you want to actually exercise logic.  Could it have had influence?  I think that is possible, but there's no way it was lone factor.

They had 7-8 lineman available.  The defense is almost always ahead of an offense in a transition.  A position that is one of the most difficult to develop coming out of a program that wasn't physical in practice.  And oh yeah, it's been 4 months.

• Plus1 2

11 hours ago, Undone said:

Despite what people who had attended practices and then reported on it had said, I was still waiting for the spring game to see roughly what kind of offense Rhule was going to run. And I think it's safe to say that, just merely in generic non-football terms, it's a "the QB runs a fair amount of the time" type of power offense.

Same. Wasn't sure how much QB run we'd see, given that Satterfield wasn't really using it at SC. Spring game pretty much reinforced my feeling that Tony White was a much more interesting hire than Satterfield, though.

Attendance for the first Spring Game for the last eight Husker coaches:

5,000 - Devaney (1962)

20,000 - Osborne (1973)

60,498 - Solich (1998)

61,417 - Callahan (2004)

80,149 - Pelini (2008)

76,881 - Riley (2015)

86,818 - Frost (2018)

66,045 - Rhule (2023)

Net Increase over previous year:

N/A- Devaney 

11,000 - Osborne 

18,480 - Solich 

27,988 - Callahan 

25,861 - Pelini 

15,109  - Riley 

8,506 - Frost 

11,688 - Rhule 

• Plus1 2

I am not sure what people were expecting with the Spring game.  The team has been terrible going on a number of years, so it's not reasonable for a huge upgrade in talent and execution in 14 spring practices.  Rhule is trying to figure out what he has, and doing the best he can.  It's going to be a rebuilding process.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not sure what people were expecting with the Spring game.  The team has been terrible going on a number of years, so it's not reasonable for a huge upgrade in talent and execution in 14 spring practices.  Rhule is trying to figure out what he has, and doing the best he can.  It's going to be a rebuilding process.

Solid comments for sure.

Outside of Allen, there were three running backs that have played quite a bit of college football (Grant, Johnson, and I'm even going to count Ervin). I'm counting total practice time and game experience, although Ervin obviously had the injury early on. Anyway, I guess I expected them to play better than they did. So although there's a ton of improvement that could occur between now and the end of August, I have to say that I don't think that group is looking good at all.

The offensive line play probably got pretty exaggerated for the negative when you split up into two units and also have injuries. Honestly I was just glad to see Nouili out there and at least giving it his all.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Solid comments for sure.

Outside of Allen, there were three running backs that have played quite a bit of college football (Grant, Johnson, and I'm even going to count Ervin). I'm counting total practice time and game experience, although Ervin obviously had the injury early on. Anyway, I guess I expected them to play better than they did. So although there's a ton of improvement that could occur between now and the end of August, I have to say that I don't think that group is looking good at all.

The offensive line play probably got pretty exaggerated for the negative when you split up into two units and also have injuries. Honestly I was just glad to see Nouili out there and at least giving it his all.

I can't say much about the RB's since I didn't see any of the game.  But, if there are no running lanes, it's tough for them to make much of an impression.

20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But, if there are no running lanes, it's tough for them to make much of an impression.

I don't know if I completely agree with that. If I go back to Ameer's junior year, I'd say we saw a back that routinely just found ways to pick up yards that otherwise weren't there.

Now that O-line was better than what we have by a mile. But I don't think you can say that a back is "good" merely because they're running through huge holes, right? Any back could do that.

I still see your point though.