Spring Game - Discussion Thread

22 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't know if I completely agree with that. If I go back to Ameer's junior year, I'd say we saw a back that routinely just found ways to pick up yards that otherwise weren't there.

Now that O-line was better than what we have by a mile. But I don't think you can say that a back is "good" merely because they're running through huge holes, right? Any back could do that.

I still see your point though.

I get your point, too, but Ameer was special.

22 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't know if I completely agree with that. If I go back to Ameer's junior year, I'd say we saw a back that routinely just found ways to pick up yards that otherwise weren't there.

Now that O-line was better than what we have by a mile. But I don't think you can say that a back is "good" merely because they're running through huge holes, right? Any back could do that.

I still see your point though.

I think it depends on the type of RB you have back there. I remember Ameer being extremely patient for lanes to get open. 

There have been times in the past several years, and in the spring game.  Where there are wide open running lanes, and our backs just run right into the defender instead of cutting outside or inside.  I know not every time it will work, but man some of those are just WTF? why did he cut right when one yard left was nothing but green grass.

Is that ability or practice?

• TBH 1
7 minutes ago, soup said:

There have been times in the past several years, and in the spring game.  Where there are wide open running lanes, and our backs just run right into the defender instead of cutting outside or inside.  I know not every time it will work, but man some of those are just WTF? why did he cut right when one yard left was nothing but green grass.

Grant many times last year wouldn't get vertical to get the extra yard and drove me nuts. 

Ervin has shown he doesn't have the best vision, but with QB being under center it will help him more. 

Allen is more of a shotgun zone read guy but either way I hope he stays. 

Rahmir is someone who I still like and he has the straight line speed and toughness to be effective. 

IMO so far I'd have my three as Grant/Rahmir/Ervin in that order. Allen has lots of potential if he can dig deep to find it under this staff. 

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

Rahmir is someone who I still like and he has the straight line speed and toughness to be effective. 

Totally agree. And his vision has gotten better each year. He might actually be the best of the group currently. But that could change by the end of fall camp.

On 4/24/2023 at 9:15 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

Rhule is trying to figure out what he has, and doing the best he can.  It's going to be a rebuilding process.

Rhule has had the (re)building success he has had precisely because he doesn’t shortcut the process. The road to improvement usually starts with a step backwards. On all fronts, they ran the concepts they want to run and if they weren’t successful then they ran them again. This was not the showcase style event that some spring games are.

That’s just sorta how Rhule is, bit of a grinder. 

On 4/24/2023 at 8:54 AM, Toe said:

Spring game pretty much reinforced my feeling that Tony White was a much more interesting hire than Satterfield, though.

Satterfield was one of the weakest hires he made, at least in my opinion, but he’ll do what he’s told. Rhule’s teams don’t tend to win the game with their offense as much as they seek to control the game. I think we could have done better for the money but it’s not like this is a mismatch.

White is an extremely exciting hire that I’m thrilled with and I think his style will make him a huge favorite with players and fans alike.

Dude...your breaks from this forum are too long! Glad to see you post some good content again.

23 minutes ago, brophog said:

Rhule’s teams don’t tend to win the game with their offense as much as they seek to control the game.

Frost never got this in his time as a coach here. Whether it was because of pride to just go out there and play "2017 UCF ball" or whether it was ignorance, hard to say. Probably the former.

24 minutes ago, brophog said:

I think we could have done better for the money but it’s not like this is a mismatch.

Were you referring to Satterfield's hiring here, or Rhule's?

22 hours ago, soup said:

This has to be ability,   vision to see that hole open and hit it.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, but I believe it can be coached some too.  You're either telling your RB to run as fast as he can straight forward, or you're teaching him to look up, be patient and let things develop.

Coaching vision is like coaching speed. Some kids have it in spades and for others it doesnt matter what you do they just dont have it. It's hard to tell when a kid is in HS if they have great vision or not because they typically are either a lot more athletic than everyone else on the field, or they are playing behind really good Olines that open big holes for them. Then you got to factor in that the speed of Power 5 D1 football is a ton faster than any HS game. Some guys just never catch up

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Coaching vision is like coaching speed. Some kids have it in spades and for others it doesnt matter what you do they just dont have it. It's hard to tell when a kid is in HS if they have great vision or not because they typically are either a lot more athletic than everyone else on the field, or they are playing behind really good Olines that open big holes for them. Then you got to factor in that the speed of Power 5 D1 football is a ton faster than any HS game. Some guys just never catch up

I always thought it was kind of the same coaching safeties.  Watching game film and how they see the play develope.  You have guys that have that instinct and know how to get to the ball and then you have other guys that you have to ask "what are you looking at?".

12 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Coaching vision is like coaching speed. Some kids have it in spades and for others it doesnt matter what you do they just dont have it. 

I think this is barely true. 

Speed is just your body. Vision is a combination of your eyesight and your brain, and the brain part can absolutely be taught.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1