Spring Game - Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I think this is barely true. 

Speed is just your body. Vision is a combination of your eyesight and your brain, and the brain part can absolutely be taught.

One’s field of vision and focus can be improved upon considerably with practice. Years ago as part of my training I’d look down a long line of twine with different sizes, shapes and colors of beads at different distances focusing on each individually from the bridge of my nose extended in different directions. 

The mind body connection and responses can be improved as well. It’s really not playing against but with the opponent. Fluid and flowing navigating the avenues that are presented as opposed to having rigid responses. 

• Plus1 1

^^

Shoeless Joe Jackson stared at candle flames 

jokes aside, when I was in 9th grade Barry Sanders spoke at a football camp I was at…shout out to Mile High Football Camp…

he said in his speech to us kids that he used to go to bed at night and “raise his core up”  focusing all his energy into his thighs and lower abdomen, he said it literally changed his center of gravity. He said if you visualize yourself mentally, you can make yourself do things you wouldn’t normally be able to do physically. 

I miss the days of mysticism and mortal men becoming legend in sport. No one has fun anymore. (Or maybe we have sucked for so long we haven’t had a Crouch, Ameer, Suh, Green, Bell, Farley or Tomich to “wow” us). 

13 hours ago, Undone said:

Were you referring to Satterfield's hiring here, or Rhule's?

Satterfield. Rhule was expensive, but the Big Ten sorta has a 'tax' now because agents and potential candidates know teams in the Big Ten have gobs of money. As I said at the time, you could argue a few different coaches were roughly equivalent in potential quality but it's hard to argue anyone was clearly superior to Rhule. I don't think anything has happened since the hire to do anything but strengthen that statement.

13 hours ago, Undone said:

Frost never got this in his time as a coach here. Whether it was because of pride to just go out there and play "2017 UCF ball" or whether it was ignorance, hard to say. Probably the former.

You're right, he never really did. Look at his propensity, especially the first several years, for taking the ball first if he won the coin toss. Football is an alternate possession game, except that pattern doesn't repeat at halftime...whomever deferred has the choice at the start of the second half. If you can score last before halftime and get the ball first in the second half, you can 'double up'. Not surprisingly, as teams have access and trust in more analytics, the number of coaches deferring greatly increases over the years.

The same can be said about his infatuation with play count. It's an alternate possession game, not an alternate play game. A lot of the advantages of running a very high tempo have either been legislated out and/or teams have found ways to counter it. The game comes down to how efficient you are on each drive and there are times you want to increase or decrease the number of drives each team gets.

Once Rhule got his teams up and running he typically won the games he was supposed to win because he understood the above, whereas Frost almost seemed to master the ability to lose winnable games.

• Plus1 1

I went to the spring game w/ some long time buddies, special environment to say the least that day!  I wrote this on a napkin at the railyard after and just found it in my pocket today.  Going to send this to trev and see if we can add my poem to the husker trophy case to help break in the new locker room in honor of Frank.

In Lincoln, where the Cornhuskers play

Frank Solich led them to glory each day

With power running and an iron will

His team's performance gave fans a thrill

The pride of Nebraska, yet Solich was maimed

Despite his record being well-framed

Though he's gone, his legacy remains

And Cornhusker fans still chant his name

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1