Tominaga Declares for NBA Draft - Maintains College Eligibility

46 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

NBA is his dream!  Intl. will still be there after next year.  He is just trying to get an idea on what he needs to work on before his eligibility runs out.

I don't think he has much of a shot at the NBA.  But I don't think "Intl. will still be there after next year" is really going to be part of the thought process.  He can make a lot of money playing internationally next year where he can't make any (NIL) money here.  That's quite a discrepancy.

42 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think he has much of a shot at the NBA.  But I don't think "Intl. will still be there after next year" is really going to be part of the thought process.  He can make a lot of money playing internationally next year where he can't make any (NIL) money here.  That's quite a discrepancy.

I mostly agree.  However, he can make NIL the same way Jaz Shelley is making it.  If I understand it right, she is going back to Australia for about a month after school is out.  While she is there, she can sign NIL deals.  

But....I agree.  He probably would make quite a bit more playing internationally.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I mostly agree.  However, he can make NIL the same way Jaz Shelley is making it.  If I understand it right, she is going back to Australia for about a month after school is out.  While she is there, she can sign NIL deals.  

But....I agree.  He probably would make quite a bit more playing internationally.

Yes, they can make money while their home.  

But I can't imagine that really amounts to a lot in a couple of weeks.

And if you can only make money while you're home, why not stay home permanently and make money.

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yes, they can make money while their home.  

But I can't imagine that really amounts to a lot in a couple of weeks.

And if you can only make money while you're home, why not stay home permanently and make money.

I think isn't it that they can only sign NIL deals while at home.  But, that allows them to make money while they are here.  Meaning, if I wanted to sign Tominaga to a deal, he goes home for a few weeks, we sign the deal.  He comes back and there's probably some strange loophole that I have to pay him to a bank account in Japan....or something.

At least that's the way I understood it when I read about what Jaz was doing....but, that was a long time ago.

Or....if it's the way you state, if I want to pay her 300,000, she goes home for a month, I pay her that while she's there, she comes back and plays....deal done.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think isn't it that they can only sign NIL deals while at home.  But, that allows them to make money while they are here.  Meaning, if I wanted to sign Tominaga to a deal, he goes home for a few weeks, we sign the deal.  He comes back and there's probably some strange loophole that I have to pay him to a bank account in Japan....or something.

At least that's the way I understood it when I read about what Jaz was doing....but, that was a long time ago.

Or....if it's the way you state, if I want to pay her 300,000, she goes home for a month, I pay her that while she's there, she comes back and plays....deal done.

I think the trick is it has to be "passive" income while they're in the states.  So they can't actually do appearances, make posts, sign stuff, etc. like the other players can.  At least that's they way I understand it.

So you're probably technically right that someone could do what you're saying.  But it's not nearly as easy to get things done.  Although I've seen it reported that 1890 has been actively working on how to exploit any loopholes.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

For him to have a shot at the being anything other than "instant offense" in the NBA, he will have to work on his point guard skills and get stronger. 

His ball handling is OK, but he doesn't really make passes that set up other players.  Most of his passes are to move the ball and hopefully get it back to take a shot, not to get someone else a shot.  He's listed at 6'2", 175 & Steph Curry is 6'2", 185, so I get the comparisons (the shooting is just the most obvious part).  But Curry's ball handling skills are miles ahead of where Tominaga's are. 

As a rookie Curry averaged 4.5 rebounds & 6 assists in 36.2 minutes per game.  Does anyone really see Tominaga averaging 6 assists/game if he got to play 36 minutes/game in the NBA?  He's always going to be a defensive liability because of his size, but so is Curry so that's not a big deal.

I think he can play in the NBA next season, but he wouldn't play much.  He's much better off coming back to NU next year & working to become a point guard.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...