Would the SEC been a better fit?

Recently wondered what would have happened had Nebraska joined the SEC instead of the BIG 10. 

The SEC would have provided better recruiting. Nebraska.

During Covid Nebraska would have fit in better with the SEC wanting to play football.

With Texas and Oklahoma joining the BIG 10, schedules could include more natural rivals games such as Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, and LSU every year. 

The BIG 10 is the ohio state michigan conference and will be even if ohio state and Michigan falter and other teams rise up. The SEC has more teams that have been good so if Nebraska had a good season they would get more attention than being in the big 10. 

The big 10 has prided itself in its prestigious education and white collar way of doing things. Nebraska's blue collar hard-working agricultural identity hasn't been a good fit. 

4 hours ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I'll play.

I think the fanbase is more akin to the average SEC fan base than the B1G. 

In either conference, NU would be that "Western outlier". Mizzou would be in the B1G.

I'm just happy NU is in the Big 2!

I agree...In the Big Ten you basically have what, 4 schools that have fans for FB.  NU, OSU, PSU, Michigan.  The rest are lame.

Regarding the OP -  So, we would have been in a division with Alabama & LSU all of these years.  I think we would have been deep down the picking order.  At least during the Bo years we were in the discussion for the West Division in the Big 10 (imagine being regularly 9-4 - seems like a dream).   I think we are closer to Wisc, Iowa, Minny and NW - upper Midwest culture than the southern culture.   I'm happy being in one of the 2 top conferences.  Perhaps under Rhule we will eventually have national relevance again and we can be a regular participant in the expanded playoff.  

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Regarding the OP -  So, we would have been in a division with Alabama & LSU all of these years.  I think we would have been deep down the picking order.  At least during the Bo years we were in the discussion for the West Division in the Big 10 (imagine being regularly 9-4 - seems like a dream).   I think we are closer to Wisc, Iowa, Minny and NW - upper Midwest culture than the southern culture.   I'm happy being in one of the 2 top conferences.  Perhaps under Rhule we will eventually have national relevance again and we can be a regular participant in the expanded playoff.  

The expanded playoff changes it all.  NU can make the top 12.  Plus, and it will be awhile, but it is going to hit 16.

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

And Iowa doesn't have an AG identity:dunno  You can smell agriculture when you cross the boarder N-S-E or W.    But maybe not the 'hard working' part??:P

Not sure that's agriculture you smell when crossing into Council Bluffs.:dunno.  Iowa's women have been referred to as agricultural animals though.

12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The expanded playoff changes it all.  NU can make the top 12.  Plus, and it will be awhile, but it is going to hit 16.

Yes there is no reason not to think this regardless of our last 8 years. We have the resources and now I believe the coach to get us in the playoffs each year. Once in you never know what can happen if the team is playing well 

3 minutes ago, skers83 said:

Not sure that's agriculture you smell when crossing into Council Bluffs.:dunno.  Iowa's women have been referred to as agricultural animals though.

:o  :smokin