46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just buy the flats.  They can easily be done in 8 hours.

Whole packers or nada :lol:

Yeah a smallerish flat can get done. In fact I often do corned beef flats. But usually the guys in the shop want to do a whole packer. I usually go 12-14 hours on a whole plus about a 2 hour rest.

One of the guys has no patience whatsoever and is constantly carving off a piece as it smokes then he doesn’t finish it at home. He claims it was excellent but I know it had to be tough because no way he hit the temps or the time. He’s also one that totally ignores food safety, never washes his hands etc. I don’t accept food tastes from him :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

It if funny because I totally agree...but also when I am tailgating I find myself eating potato salad that has been sitting out in the sun for 10 hours...grabbing a hot dog that 12 other people touched and drinking out of multiple beers that "I think were mine"

Oh don't forget the ice luge for a shot!

Enough alcohol and all food safety precautions go out the window :lol:

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Whole packers or nada :lol:

Yeah a smallerish flat can get done. In fact I often do corned beef flats. But usually the guys in the shop want to do a whole packer. I usually go 12-14 hours on a whole plus about a 2 hour rest.

One of the guys has no patience whatsoever and is constantly carving off a piece as it smokes then he doesn’t finish it at home. He claims it was excellent but I know it had to be tough because no way he hit the temps or the time. He’s also one that totally ignores food safety, never washes his hands etc. I don’t accept food tastes from him :lol:

I can appreciate the desire to do whole packers.

But, when I did competitions, I started with doing whole packer briskets.  I got tired of having to cook all night.  So, I started doing flats, they get done about the same time pulled pork gets done and I got to sleep at night. And, I did just as well in judging.

42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can appreciate the desire to do whole packers.

But, when I did competitions, I started with doing whole packer briskets.  I got tired of having to cook all night.  So, I started doing flats, they get done about the same time pulled pork gets done and I got to sleep at night. And, I did just as well in judging.

Are those competitions pretty fun?

What other things can you enter, besides brisket?  

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Are those competitions pretty fun?

What other things can you enter, besides brisket?  

They are a blast if you have a good team. They are a ton of work. 

Ribs

pulled pork

ribs

brisket 

specialty ( make whatever you want)

Beans (nobody could beat us here)

Goal is to stay sober enough to make it to the awards presentation. 

• Thanks 1