22 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Whole packers or nada :lol:

Yeah a smallerish flat can get done. In fact I often do corned beef flats. But usually the guys in the shop want to do a whole packer. I usually go 12-14 hours on a whole plus about a 2 hour rest.

One of the guys has no patience whatsoever and is constantly carving off a piece as it smokes then he doesn’t finish it at home. He claims it was excellent but I know it had to be tough because no way he hit the temps or the time. He’s also one that totally ignores food safety, never washes his hands etc. I don’t accept food tastes from him :lol:

I just ate at my favorite BBQ joint in North Carolina.  I noticed that they only do flats too.  Found that interesting.  It's owned by a guy who's been on TV and is damn good.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I just ate at my favorite BBQ joint in North Carolina.  I noticed that they only do flats too.  Found that interesting.  It's owned by a guy who's been on TV and is damn good.

The flats are much nicer for slicing but the point is better for shredding/pulling and better (imo) for burnt ends. I’d definitely stick with flats if slices are what’s desired.

…hangs head, wishes he had a favorite BBQ joint in NC.

7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

…hangs head, wishes he had a favorite BBQ joint in NC.

Yeah...it's pretty awesome. I come to this small town quite often for work.  It's kind of a second home for me now. This place is only open Thursday -Saturday.  He serves till his food is gone...which is usually around 2:00.  I make sure I get there at 11:30 so he's not out of what I want.