** 2023 Opponent Preview : Northern Illinois (Game 3) **

HuskerOnline: Northern Illinois Spring Preview

Carifio: “On the whole, I’m optimistic about NIU this year. I think there were a lot of fluke things last year. I know Nebraska is in a totally new situation with a new coach who is famous for having a bad first year and then turning it around and getting huge results in year two. So I’m optimistic for thinking NIU is going to win this one.”

2023 win-loss expectation for Northern Illinois

Carifio: “You can call me a homer or whatever but I’m thinking they can get up to seven or eight (wins). I think seven on the low end. I think they can finish up at 8-4 in the regular season. They do that, there’s a really good chance of them making the MAC championship game.”

https://www.on3.com/teams/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/nebraska-opponent-spring-review-northern-illinois/

CollegeFootballNews: Northern Illinois 2023 Preview & Prediction

There’s just no MAC program weirder than Northern Illinois. A superpower in the 2010s, NIU had five straight seasons with 11 wins or more and won four MAC championships between 2011 to 2018. Head coach Rod Carey left for Temple, Huskie running back legend Thomas Hammock took over, and … (cue the sad trombone for his first two years). Northern Illinois had one of its worst seasons in 20 years, and then 2020 asked 2019 to hold its beer with an 0-6 clunker. And then …

MAC Championship, nine wins, and everything was right with the world. So the narrative was easy. NIU had to be torn down to be built back up again, Hammock had the talent in place, the team looked like it would be the lead dog in the conference title hunt, and then everyone got hurt - at least it seemed that way.

https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/northern-illinois-huskies-college-football-preview-2023

CollegeFootballNews: Northern Illinois 2023 Game By Game Prediction

2023 CFN Preseason Prediction: 6-6
2022 Record: 3-9

Aug 26 OPEN DATE
Sept 2 at Boston College L
Sept 9 Southern Illinois W
Sept 16 at Nebraska L
Sept 23 Tulsa L
Sept 30 at Toledo L
Oct 7 at Akron W
Oct 14 Ohio L
Oct 21 Eastern Michigan W
Oct 28 OPEN DATE
Oct. 31 at Central Michigan L
Nov 7 Ball State W
Nov 14 Western Michigan W
Nov 25 at Kent State W

https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/northern-illinois-football-schedule-2023-game-predictions-scores

More to come...

• Oh Yeah! 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought they might be a difficult road block for the Huskers going into the season.

Not that Boston College is a bad football program, but still....

Veteran QB Rocky Lombardi, and his mullet, lead NIU to upset win over Boston College

snapshot-70.jpg

Media postgame: "You get an overtime win against a Power Five school in Boston College. What was the key to you guys pulling off this upset?"

NIU QB Lombardi: "I think the key for us was just experience in close games. We have a very similar team to what we had in '21 where we had too many close games. Just to be able to have that experience and just kind of know how to win a game. When it comes down to the end, I think that's a skill, and I think we have that skill. To be able to get a big win like that without having our best day offensively, I think, is really special."

Northern Illinois Quarterback Rocky Lombardi 12 Editorial Stock Photo ...

Those are sweet words that we wish every Cornhusker team and player could bring to fruition.  

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
10 hours ago, admo said:

Thought they might be a difficult road block for the Huskers going into the season.

Not that Boston College is a bad football program, but still....

Veteran QB Rocky Lombardi, and his mullet, lead NIU to upset win over Boston College

snapshot-70.jpg

Media postgame: "You get an overtime win against a Power Five school in Boston College. What was the key to you guys pulling off this upset?"

NIU QB Lombardi: "I think the key for us was just experience in close games. We have a very similar team to what we had in '21 where we had too many close games. Just to be able to have that experience and just kind of know how to win a game. When it comes down to the end, I think that's a skill, and I think we have that skill. To be able to get a big win like that without having our best day offensively, I think, is really special."

Northern Illinois Quarterback Rocky Lombardi 12 Editorial Stock Photo ...

Those are sweet words that we wish every Cornhusker team and player could bring to fruition.  

Yes.

Our team just doesn't know how to win a game.  It's crazy how they could be in this situation.