** 2023 Opponent Preview : Northern Illinois (Game 3) **

I think Rhule feel in love with Sims’ possible upside. Look, we are 1-1, more likely 2-0, if we had a better QB. We all have said it. If HH looks good, give him the keys for a while. . Rhule was very very high on Sims in the pre-season and was his pick. I just don’t want it to be a ride or die situation. 

we have a good enough defense to win a few games. I remember the days where the defense couldn’t stop teams in 3rd down. Oline can move people. 

Sims has simply been awful and now it’s mental. 

GBR!!!

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And Sims is actually a better passer than Scott Frost ever was. But what Frost did so well, better than any Husker QB, is sell the play action. Defenses have to bite on the run because that's what Nebraska does/did. So when the QB really sells the running play -- seemingly sticks the ball in the RBs stomach but actually walks away with the ball still hidden on the side of his leg, he has frozen the linebackers and has a receiver so wide open even a bad passer can make the completion.

QBs don't really excel in the deception of play action anymore. I think it could help Sims a lot. 

I've noticed this for a long time now. There isn't as much emphasis on selling the play fake. Peyton Manning, as much as I don't care for him, was excellent at the play fake. He wasn't going to run it, but he made it hard to tell if he kept it or handed it off. Now a days guys basically stare down the RB and stand in the back field, pro and college. And very few hide the ball on a PA pass.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, ZRod said:

Well, you see... We have a QB...

But for real, 4 turn overs a game is the problem. You take away the 2 late first half turnovers during the CU game and trade them in for TDs, you could be looking at a 21-17 or 28-26 win.

Take away any of the last 3 turnovers against Minny and we have a dub.

:yeah

This is the most perfectly said post in the last week.  

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And Sims is actually a better passer than Scott Frost ever was. But what Frost did so well, better than any Husker QB, is sell the play action. Defenses have to bite on the run because that's what Nebraska does/did. So when the QB really sells the running play -- seemingly sticks the ball in the RBs stomach but actually walks away with the ball still hidden on the side of his leg, he has frozen the linebackers and has a receiver so wide open even a bad passer can make the completion.

QBs don't really excel in the deception of play action anymore. I think it could help Sims a lot. 

Play action sells are absolutely a lost art of fundamentals. Rodgers is pretty much the only quarterback left from the era where that was a disciplined skillset.

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Play action sells are absolutely a lost art of fundamentals. Rodgers is pretty much the only quarterback left from the era where that was a disciplined skillset.

The other one is pump fakes. Our rookie quarterback Brock Purdy was pulling them off last season with great success, and I wondered why more quarterbacks didn't do this. 

4 hours ago, ZRod said:

Well, you see... We have a QB...

But for real, 4 turn overs a game is the problem. You take away the 2 late first half turnovers during the CU game and trade them in for TDs, you could be looking at a 21-17 or 28-26 win.

Take away any of the last 3 turnovers against Minny and we have a dub.

You can't win many games with 4 turnovers, but something tells me Colorado pulls off the win without them, too. 

When Sims got that touchdown mid-third quarter to make it a 13-7 one possession game, I still wasn't feeling it. Colorado was the better team. 

I did feel that Nebraska was a better team than Minnesota, and that game was simply gift wrapped for them.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1