** 2023 Opponent Preview : Michigan (Game 5) **

HuskerOnline: Michigan Spring Preview

We probably should briefly mention Balas’ assessment of the Wolverines’ defense. Is it a dominating unit? “It has the potential to be,” he said. “The interior line is as deep and talented as any I’ve seen since the 1997 national championship team. They’re going to be really hard to run on.” OK, then. “I’ll say this: That was the best environment that I’ve ever been in for a college football game — that night game in Lincoln (in 2021),” said the 54-year-old Balas. “It was unbelievable. That’ll help Nebraska. I’ve said it: This is one of those sneaky games. “You’ve got a first-year coach in Matt Rhule who’s going to want to prove himself. I do think Michigan will win, but I think it’ll be tougher than people think. Nebraska will be in it in the second half, but I think Michigan will pull away.”

2023 win-loss expectation for Michigan

Let’s put it this way: There probably won’t be many losses, if any. “Michigan just has a lot of firepower,” Balas said. “But I think it will lose a game this year before it gets to Ohio State. It’s hard to go undefeated in the league. I’m not one of those guys who predicts them to go undefeated every year.” If Michigan again defeats Ohio State, the Wolverines likely will be back in the College Football Playoff — with an excellent chance to win it all.

https://www.on3.com/teams/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/nebraska-opponent-spring-preview-michigan/

CollegeFootballNews: Michigan 2023 Preview

This football thing isn’t all that hard. Who blocks and tackles better, and does it with the most talent? Michigan was always very, very good under head coach Jim Harbaugh, and then it started blocking and tackling better, the next-level talent kept flowing in, and shock of shocks, it all worked. Ever since the second half of the 2020 finale loss to Penn State - when Michigan, in a lost game in a lost season, seemed to say “enough is enough” and played one of its most physical offensive halves of the year - a switched flipped. It hasn't stopped since.

https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/michigan-wolverines-college-football-preview-2023-breakdown-prediction-top-players-win-total

Athlon Sports: #2 Michigan 2023 Preview & Prediction

Ohio State and Penn State are contenders for the CFB Playoff, but the path to a Big Ten title once again runs through Ann Arbor in 2023. Michigan has made steady gains under coach Jim Harbaugh over the last two seasons, with the next step being a trip to the national championship game. Harbaugh returns the pieces to contend for it all again this year, as quarterback J.J. McCarthy is the conference's No. 1 signal-caller, and the backfield features a dynamic one-two punch of Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards. The defense held opponents to just 16.1 points a game last year and brings back six starters this fall. 

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/michigan-football-wolverines-prediction-preview-2023

Michigan Football Schedule 2023: Game Predictions

2023 CFN Preseason Prediction: 11-1

Aug 26 OPEN DATE
Sept 2 East Carolina W
Sept 9 UNLV W
Sept 16 Bowling Green W
Sept 23 Rutgers W
Sept 30 at Nebraska W
Oct 7 at Minnesota W
Oct 14 Indiana W
Oct 21 at Michigan State W
Oct 28 OPEN DATE
Nov 4 Purdue W
Nov 11 at Penn State L
Nov 18 at Maryland W
Nov 25 Ohio State W

https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/michigan-football-schedule-2023-game-predictions-scores

More to come...

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Saunders said:

May history repeat itself

https://www.huskermax.com/game/1962-michigan-football/

Coach Bob Devaney gained Coach of the Week honors and fullback Bill Thornton was named Back of the Week after the Cornhuskers shocked Michigan, 25-13, before 70,287 Band Day fans — the largest crowd to see Nebraska play in a regular-season game.

Thornton scored two TDs and blocked ferociously — his first contact since a preseason shoulder dislocation — while Dennis Claridge hit 6 of 12 passes for 89 yards. Halfback Dennis Stuewe led all rushers with 60 yards.

Entering the fourth quarter, Nebraska led 19-7 before Michigan cut the deficit to 19-13. But Nebraska answered back. On a fourth-and-eight play inside the Michigan 30, Claridge passed to d!(k Callahan for a first down. On the next play, Thornton rumbled 16 yards for a touchdown.

• Oh Yeah! 2
  • 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

In this case it would benefit us directly, but I've had this thought before - suspensions should have to be served on conference games in my opinion. There would be some cases where skipping the suspension for a non-conference game would help - Michigan played Notre Dame a few years back - but I think largely it would be better.

I don't think the goal needs to be "you have to miss the 4 most critical games" or anything, but Michigan (and a lot of P5 teams) could win their non-conference games most years with the entire main coaching staff suspended. The GAs and support staff could coach them to wins. I'd even be down for letting the suspended party decided when to serve it during conference play, requiring it to be consecutive. At least it would be against P5 teams, and would give some conference foes some bulletin board material - "they think so little of us their coach is skipping the game," etc.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

He bought cheeseburgers for two recruits and when asked about it he said he didn't recall whether he did or not. This is a worse punishment than Tennessee got for 200+ violations and paying recruits. I guess The message is...cooperate with investigations or the NCAA gets their undies in a bunch. Another NCAA inconsistency. I am surprised anyone even listens to the NCAA anymore.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
13 minutes ago, nic said:

He bought cheeseburgers for two recruits and when asked about it he said he didn't recall whether he did or not. This is a worse punishment than Tennessee got for 200+ violations and paying recruits. I guess The message is...cooperate with investigations or the NCAA gets their undies in a bunch. Another NCAA inconsistency. I am surprised anyone even listens to the NCAA anymore.

I agree with what you're saying, but Tennessee already fired the coach who committed those violations, so this isn't apples to apples.  The NCAA is a joke for sure, but not the same situation.

4 hours ago, runningblind said:

I agree with what you're saying, but Tennessee already fired the coach who committed those violations, so this isn't apples to apples.  The NCAA is a joke for sure, but not the same situation.

pick any other violation you want.  two committed recruits show up out of blue during COVID and Harbaugh says ‘let’s get lunch’ and pays for it. The NCAA was pissed when he said he didn’t remember if he paid for it. That guy seems so preoccupied I would not be surprised. If I were Michigan, I would just sue the NCAA for stupidity,  put Harbaugh on the sideline and dare them to do anything about it. I mean, NIL sort of makes them irrelevant at this point. They are living on borrowed time until the super conferences arrive.