** 2023 Opponent Preview : Michigan (Game 5) **

4 hours ago, nic said:

pick any other violation you want.  two committed recruits show up out of blue during COVID and Harbaugh says ‘let’s get lunch’ and pays for it. The NCAA was pissed when he said he didn’t remember if he paid for it. That guy seems so preoccupied I would not be surprised. If I were Michigan, I would just sue the NCAA for stupidity,  put Harbaugh on the sideline and dare them to do anything about it. I mean, NIL sort of makes them irrelevant at this point. They are living on borrowed time until the super conferences arrive.

Except those are the Level II violations.  The tougher penalties are probably more related to the Level I violations.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Except those are the Level II violations.  The tougher penalties are probably more related to the Level I violations.

Regardless of level, is the NCAA ever consistent? Whatever happened to all those basketball schools that were selling shoe endorsements or something? The FBI investigation…did any of them face penalties? I don’t remember, but it doesn’t seem like it. The Feds may have arrested some people. I saw this morning that two almost identical bills are going through Congress to regulate NIL nationwide. One gives the NCAA regulatory authority, the other a new commission. Please not the NCAA. :nutz

I think Finebaum is a weasel, but have to agree with him here. I think I will go shower now.

https://www.on3.com/college/michigan-wolverines/news/paul-finebaum-calls-ncaa-handling-of-jim-harbaugh-suspension-a-clown-show/

“Let’s start with the NCAA. It’s beyond a clown show, Greeney, it is a clown show and the fact that that they would sanction him for this is really beyond the pale,” Paul Finebaum said on Get Up on ESPN on Wednesday morning. “I mean, essentially, He’s accused of buying somebody a hamburger and then not telling the truth about it.”

“I mean, (Mike Greenberg), don’t eject me out of my seat here, but I’m starting to respect Jim Harbaugh for standing firm and refusing to go down the NCAA’s path,” Finebaum said. “This could have been over with a long time ago, but Harbaugh would not admit he lied. And because the NCAA is so backwards and so antediluvian, they ended up with this agreement.

In the end, the NCAA has no jurisdiction over anyone or anybody and they can’t push things too far, because the schools will take them to court and the NCAA maybe will lose. But in the end, I think Jim Harbaugh looks really good here and this might be my final broadcast ever on this earth, because I’m leaving.”

15 hours ago, nic said:

I think Finebaum is a weasel, but have to agree with him here. I think I will go shower now.

https://www.on3.com/college/michigan-wolverines/news/paul-finebaum-calls-ncaa-handling-of-jim-harbaugh-suspension-a-clown-show/

“Let’s start with the NCAA. It’s beyond a clown show, Greeney, it is a clown show and the fact that that they would sanction him for this is really beyond the pale,” Paul Finebaum said on Get Up on ESPN on Wednesday morning. “I mean, essentially, He’s accused of buying somebody a hamburger and then not telling the truth about it.”

“I mean, (Mike Greenberg), don’t eject me out of my seat here, but I’m starting to respect Jim Harbaugh for standing firm and refusing to go down the NCAA’s path,” Finebaum said. “This could have been over with a long time ago, but Harbaugh would not admit he lied. And because the NCAA is so backwards and so antediluvian, they ended up with this agreement.

In the end, the NCAA has no jurisdiction over anyone or anybody and they can’t push things too far, because the schools will take them to court and the NCAA maybe will lose. But in the end, I think Jim Harbaugh looks really good here and this might be my final broadcast ever on this earth, because I’m leaving.”

So continuing to ignore the more serious violations and try to talk like they're being punished too much for the lesser violations?

Not a good look.

• TBH 1
7 hours ago, Mavric said:

So continuing to ignore the more serious violations and try to talk like they're being punished too much for the lesser violations?

Not a good look.

Am not sure what more serious violations you are referring to. Was there something in addition to buying cheeseburgers and selective memory loss? 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Letting an analyst coach on the field.

Never heard that. Everybody's talking about the cheeseburgers. That still doesn't seem very serious. If I remember right, Harbaugh accused Ryan Day of getting away with that and Day said he was going to put 100 up on him for being a snitch. Then Harbaugh responded with "some people on 3rd base got there without getting a hit."....or something like that.

Edit: out of curiosity I Googled other similar analyst infractions and this was the first to pop up.

"Nebraska football coach Scott Frost was penalized by the NCAA on Monday due to improper use of a non-coach analyst during the 2020 season.

Frost was given a one-year show cause penalty and must serve a 5-day suspension during the 2022 season for violating head coach responsibility rules."

4 hours ago, nic said:

Never heard that. Everybody's talking about the cheeseburgers. That still doesn't seem very serious. If I remember right, Harbaugh accused Ryan Day of getting away with that and Day said he was going to put 100 up on him for being a snitch. Then Harbaugh responded with "some people on 3rd base got there without getting a hit."....or something like that.

Edit: out of curiosity I Googled other similar analyst infractions and this was the first to pop up.

"Nebraska football coach Scott Frost was penalized by the NCAA on Monday due to improper use of a non-coach analyst during the 2020 season.

Frost was given a one-year show cause penalty and must serve a 5-day suspension during the 2022 season for violating head coach responsibility rules."

Interesting that none of the reports you were looking at that even mentioned it.  Like I said, ignoring the more serious accusations and acting like they were getting overly-punished for lesser ones is not a good look.

And were the other coaches cooperative in these investigations or .... not as cooperative, as has also been the accusation against Harbaugh?

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Interesting that none of the reports you were looking at that even mentioned it.  Like I said, ignoring the more serious accusations and acting like they were getting overly-punished for lesser ones is not a good look.

And were the other coaches cooperative in these investigations or .... not as cooperative, as has also been the accusation against Harbaugh?

I doubt anyone was cooperative. They all rolled their eyes.  Two other coaches got suspended for a game. Not sure if it was cheesbuger or analyst related. In Frost's case, he got 5 practice days, I think there was a 10K fine and probation for a year. I honestly don't think either case are serious violations at all. I suspect some analyst somewhere is on the field any given day. With the bagman that the SEC used all these years and got away with it....I am not concerned about cheeseburgers or an analysts on the field. Gambling, getting paid or the family getting paid, receiving automobiles, getting recruits babes, those seem more serious...although most of that is now covered by NIL. I really think the NCAA are the ones that have looked bad, inconsistent and incompetent for the last two decades. 

I am not sure where all the reports leaked, but it's the reporters highlighting cheeseburgers and lying. I think Michigan is saying nothing. However, this is all unofficial...so there may be more serious stuff that we haven't seen.

• 3 weeks later...

"The Michigan infractions case is related to impermissible on and off-campus recruiting during the COVID-19 dead period and impermissible coaching activities — not a cheeseburger,” NCAA vice president Derrick Crawford said. “... The COI may also reject an [negotiated resolution] if it determines that the agreement is not in the best interests of the Association or the penalties are not reasonable …”

• Plus1 1