** 2023 Opponent Preview : Purdue (Game 8) **

HuskerOnline: Purdue Spring Review

Dienhart: “It’s going to be tough for Purdue, I think. So much is new for Purdue. They’ve typically been evenly matched programs in recent years. I know Purdue’s had a little bit of an upper hand in the win-loss column. But, my goodness, from what I hear, the early returns on Matt Rhule have been pretty positive. It looks like they’ve got a pretty competent coach, and it’s going to be a pretty well-coached team.

“I’ve always thought that Nebraska is going to have better talent than Purdue. It maybe hasn’t been appreciatively better in recent years, but I just think Nebraska is going to find a way to beat Purdue this year in Memorial Stadium. That’s a program that Nebraska has got to start to beat, right? You’ve got to crawl over Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, and those types of schools if you want to get to the top. The divisions are probably going to be gone after this year, but still.

“As much as Nebraska probably doesn’t want to look at Purdue as being a peer program, I think it has been in recent years. That’s got to stop if you’re Nebraska, and I think they’re going to find a way to maybe eke out a close one this year.”

2023 win-loss expectation for Purdue

Dienhart: “You look at some of the early projected win totals, Purdue’s been at five or five and a half (wins). That probably sounds about right to me – 5-7, maybe they can get to 6-6. It’s going to be tough. I don’t know if any Big Ten team has a more challenging schedule. In non-conference, they’ve got home games against Fresno State and Syracuse, and they go to Virginia Tech. I mean, there’s no real juggernaut there, but those are all pretty quality teams.

“Then, the Big Ten schedule flipped on them. They’ve got Ohio State at home, and they’ve got to go to Michigan. So, you’ve got that on your plate, too, in addition to your Nebraskas and Iowas and MInnesotas and Wisconins. So, it’s going to be tough. With all of the unknowns – if Hudson Card gets hurt, I think there are some serious issues with the backup quarterback. I think 5-7, I would feel confident in saying that. Maybe 6-6 if things break right.

“Bottom line, if this team gets to a bowl game at 6-6, I would look at it as a success given all of the transition on the roster and the coaching staff with that schedule, too.”

https://www.on3.com/teams/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/nebraska-opponent-spring-review-purdue/

CollegeFootballNews: Purdue 2023 Preview & Prediction

There are sports roller coaster rides, and there's what Purdue fans have been through since early December of 2022. The Boilermakers made their first appearance in the Big Ten Championship. It was a blowout loss to Michigan in the title game, but so what? For the football program that suffered through eight losing seasons in nine years before 2021, it got there. It was a huge moment for the school. Minnesota, Indiana, and Illinois have never played in the Big Ten Championship. Nebraska hasn’t been there since 2012. Penn State only got there once back in 2016, and relative newbies Maryland and Rutgers haven’t been close. Jeff Brohm led the team to nine wins in 2021 and eight in 2022 for the best two-year run for Purdue football since the late great Joe Tiller came up with back-to-back nine-win seasons in 1997 and 1998. And then, just as the program seemed to have found its groove, Brohm is gone to … Louisville.

https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/purdue-boilermakers-college-football-preview-2023-breakdown-prediction-top-players-win-total

Athlon Sports: #57 Purdue Preview & Prediction

Big changes are on the way for Purdue in the 2023 college football season. There's a new coach (Ryan Walters) and quarterback (Hudson Card) with big shoes to fill after the Boilermakers played in the Big Ten title game last year. Walters arrives after a successful stint as the Illinois' defensive coordinator, but there's work to do on this side of the ball with just four returning starters. Card's arrival was significant to replace standout Aidan O'Connell under center. Running back Devin Mockobee headlines a solid group of skill players for new offensive coordinator Graham Harrell.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/purdue-football-boilermakers-prediction-preview-2023

Purdue Football Schedule 2023: Game Predictions

2023 CFN Preseason Prediction: 6-6
2022 Record: 8-6

Aug 26 OPEN DATE
Sept 2 Fresno State W
Sept 9 at Virginia Tech W
Sept 16 Syracuse W
Sept 23 Wisconsin L
Sept 30 Illinois W
Oct 7 at Iowa L
Oct 14 Ohio State L
Oct 21 OPEN DATE
Oct 28 at Nebraska L
Nov 4 at Michigan L
Nov 11 Minnesota W
Nov 18 at Northwestern L
Nov 25 Indiana W

https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/purdue-football-schedule-2023-game-predictions-scores

More to come...

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Hudson Card has put up some good passing numbers in a couple games they've played, but they're 1-3 with their only win coming against a Virginia Tech team that is also 1-3.

Hopefully our nickel-ish defense matches up against these guys really well. Beating them is something we have to do this year.

• TBH 1
  • 3 weeks later...

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

Purdue Offense

Total: 5.12 yards/play #101

Rushing: 3.76 yards/rush #96

Passing: 6.53 yards/att #97

Purdue Defense

Total: 5.79 yards/play #88

Rushing: 4.23 yards/rush #80

Passing: 7.56 yards/att #88

Basically slightly better offense than NW and a slightly worse defense than NW.

I believe Northwestern had the worst rush defense in the B1G going into Saturday (Indiana has assumed that mantle now), so Purdue matches up slightly better with what we do (all we can do).