** 2023 Opponent Preview : Iowa (Game 12) **

CollegeFootballNews: Iowa 2023 Preview

Several things can be true at once. Yes, Iowa can be offensively-challenged, and yes it might be painful to watch at times, and yes, sometimes it does feel like one safety might be enough points, and yes ... the defense and the program’s overall style of play continue to work.For all the pain and misery and sadness caused by Iowa making America watch that O, the team was a gag against Nebraska away from playing for the Big Ten championship and hit the eight win mark for the seventh time in eight seasons - the outlier being the eight-game 2020 campaign going 6-2.

What if Iowa stays Iowa but with more offensive talent? More on that in a moment, but as is, the program continues to do just fine. 

https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/iowa-hawkeyes-college-football-preview-2023-breakdown-prediction-top-players-win-total

HuskerOnline: Iowa Spring Preview

Kakert: “It’s going to be a fascinating game simply because I always think there’s going to be something to play for in this one. That will probably be the case again this year for one or both teams. There will be something on the line for it.

“It’s a great mystery right now with Matt Rhule, but I think Nebraska’s probably got some confidence coming into this game simply because they were able to get a win last year. I think Iowa’s probably going to have some motivation coming in, and who knows if the point total is going to come into play to see if Brian Ferentz is getting to 25 (ppg) in that 12th game of the year.”

2023 win-loss expectation for Iowa

“I have them penciled in right now at about 10 wins, give or take a game either way. It could be better, or it could be 9-3. I know Vegas has them at 7-5; I think that’s just a tad bit too low. I think Iowa’s getting a little bit underestimated right now.

“We know the defense is going to be solid. I just can’t imagine the offense is going to be worse than what it was last year, and I think McNamara is going to help them there. If they can just get an average offense, instead of one of the worst offenses in college football, to go with a strong defense, they could easily win 10 games.”

https://www.on3.com/teams/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/nebraska-opponent-spring-review-iowa/

Athlon Sports: #26 Iowa 2023 Preview & Prediction

If Iowa can jumpstart an offense that averaged only 18.7 points a game in Big Ten play last year, the West Division title should be within reach once again for coach Kirk Ferentz's squad. Despite the loss of linebacker Jack Campbell and standout cornerback Riley Moss, the Hawkeyes will rank among the Big Ten's best on defense. Michigan transfer Cade McNamara should be an upgrade at quarterback, and Ferentz dipped into the portal for help along the offensive line and at receiver. Those additions provide optimism Iowa should show some improvement on offense in '23.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/iowa-football-hawkeyes-prediction-preview-2023

Iowa Football Schedule 2023: Game Predictions

2023 CFN Preseason Prediction: 8-4
2022 Record: 8-5
Aug 26 OPEN DATE
Sept 2 Utah State W
Sept 9 at Iowa State L
Sept 16 Western Michigan W
Sept 23 at Penn State L
Sept 30 Michigan State W
Oct 7 Purdue W
Oct 14 at Wisconsin L
Oct 21 Minnesota W
Oct 28 OPEN DATE
Nov 4 at Northwestern W
Nov 11 Rutgers W
Nov 18 Illinois W
Nov 24 at Nebraska L

https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/iowa-football-schedule-2023-game-predictions-scores

More to come...

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

They always seem to have the lamest schedule. 

That is what happens when:

a) the B1G gives you Rutgers as your crossover (when we had Ohio St)

b) you play in the B1G West

c) you haven't played a P5 non-conference game against a team not named Iowa St since 2015 

Iowa's non-con P5 games since 2001:

2001 Iowa St

2002 Iowa St

2003 Iowa St, Arizona St

2004 Iowa St, Arizona St

2005 Iowa St

2006 Iowa St, Syracuse

2007 Iowa St, Syracuse

2008 Iowa St, Pitt

2009 Iowa St, Arizona

2010 Iowa St, Arizona

2011 Iowa St, Pitt

2012 Iowa St

2013 Iowa St

2014 Iowa St, Pitt

2015 Iowa St, Pitt

2016 Iowa St

2017 Iowa St

2018 Iowa St

2019 Iowa St

2020 <Covid>

2021 Iowa St

2022 Iowa St

2023 Iowa St

2024 Iowa St

2025 Iowa St

2026 Iowa St

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

As more and more of the Big Ten comes to realize you're not actually legally obligated to punt every 4th play, it will be interesting to see if Iowa can hold up.

Last year they had a negative differential in practically every stat with the notable exception of turnovers. That means the difference in what their offense generated in a particular stat was less than their defense gave up in that stat. That's remarkable as they had a legitimately good defense last year, even when adjusted for pace of play.

• Plus1 1
On 7/12/2023 at 7:46 AM, teachercd said:

They always seem to have the lamest schedule. 

When the B1G released the ‘24 and ‘25 conference slated, I remember seeing Iowa fans on the CFB Subreddit unironically lamenting “No more easy schedules.” 

• Haha 2