2023 B1G Tournament

On 5/21/2023 at 10:28 AM, funhusker said:

Sports radio stations in Omaha were doing full segments on if Bolt is the right guy.  More than one person at work (all “baseball guys”) talked about how disappointing the season was.

Sorry for asking…

…and congrats to the Huskers for a good season.

They had a great bounce-back year, and did a really good job.  They might have lost some games that they want back, but......  it's baseball.

I don't know what they say in Omaha or in Lincoln, and Bolt did feel a warm seat going into the year...... But, if anyone questions the success of this season (and during the year) I think it's for one reason only:  Majority of Husker fans cannot handle their favorite team losing a game at anything.  And this includes baseball (one of the big 3 sports - unless you add track and field as #4).  This is why Husker fans gravitate towards Womens Volleyball - because they win a lot every year.  Husker fans happy when Huskers win at anything - but then b!^@h and complain and gripe when Husker team loses. It's like some sort of sport fandom pyschosomatic thing.  Just my observation over the years.  

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, admo said:

They had a great bounce-back year, and did a really good job.  They might have lost some games that they want back, but......  it's baseball.

I don't know what they say in Omaha or in Lincoln, and Bolt did feel a warm seat going into the year...... But, if anyone questions the success of this season (and during the year) I think it's for one reason only:  Majority of Husker fans cannot handle their favorite team losing a game at anything.  And this includes baseball (one of the big 3 sports - unless you add track and field as #4).  This is why Husker fans gravitate towards Womens Volleyball - because they win a lot every year.  Husker fans happy when Huskers win at anything - but then b!^@h and complain and gripe when Husker team loses. It's like some sort of sport fandom pyschosomatic thing.  Just my observation over the years.  

For what it's worth, I completely agree with you. It all stems back to football spoiling everyone for so many years. It's hard for me to get too worked up this year outside of a few spots--dropping the midweek games to Omaha/NDSU/SDSU were really bad spots and the team looked so flat. They also dropped a couple games early to San Diego were they had the games well in hand and gave it away. I'd love to see this team make some noise in the conference tourney and see what happens. I was rooting so hard for Michigan State yesterday haha.

I tell you what though, you want to see something crazy, check out LSU's Baseball twitter these few games. That fanbase is UNHINGED lol.

On 5/23/2023 at 11:15 PM, admo said:

For me, it's not necessarily the number of losses, but to whom they lost to.  Yes, it's baseball and sometimes that just happens.  But, I'm sick and tired of Nebraska teams losing to Creighton and UNO.  Then, you throw in SDSU and NDSU.  :facepalm:

No, I don't think there should be a change.  I'm happy we were at least a 4 seed in the conference tourney.  Hopefully, they can build off of this year and keep growing.

And...yes, I don't like it when any Husker team loses.  But...isn't that being a fan?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Bolt's done pretty good at coaching Winter League baseball. I'm not sure why Iowa, Indiana, Michigan and Maryland are so consistently better at recruiting to a pretty undesirable league, but it's been a tough gig ever since we left the Big 12. Maybe we should reconsider switching to hockey or curling...or take all those mega-donations and put a dome over Haymarket? It's also hard to understand how we can lose to Omaha and the Dakota's....that's an instant fail when trying to get to the CWS.

I have to admit I'm one of those spoiled football fans who hates losing to UNO and the Dakota schools...we won those by 15 runs under Van Horn.

• Plus1 1

@Hayseed it's my useless opinion that we were talented enough to reach regionals but not mentally strong enough. Maybe Bolt & Trev need to look into a baseball/softball sports psychologist. It seems to me our struggles are two fold. First we tend to play down to our competition and second, when a bad call/error/weather happens it mentally effects the team. Especially the starting pitchers. The bad news of losing Bryce and Max hurts but Bolt has recruited well offensively. If pitching improves and I personally believe it will through recruiting and portal the team is actually in very good shape. 

Next year we'll learn if Bolt is a 20 year head coach or another failed hire. Hope Bolt is around for many many years.

On 5/25/2023 at 6:55 AM, BigRedBuster said:

For me, it's not necessarily the number of losses, but to whom they lost to.  Yes, it's baseball and sometimes that just happens.  But, I'm sick and tired of Nebraska teams losing to Creighton and UNO.  Then, you throw in SDSU and NDSU.  :facepalm:

No, I don't think there should be a change.  I'm happy we were at least a 4 seed in the conference tourney.  Hopefully, they can build off of this year and keep growing.

And...yes, I don't like it when any Husker team loses.  But...isn't that being a fan?

I could be wrong but it seems like Bolt uses certain pitchers for those type of games to gain experience for down the road.  But I am like you and think the Husker level of talent should have way better pitchers who dominate most of the innings..... And hitters good enough to put a lot of runs across the plate.  These should be 11-3 or 9-2 victories instead of losses and close games.  

• TBH 1