Regents Looking to Change Oversight of Athletic Department

47 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Just what the football program needs is more cooks in the kitchen…

Ultimately what this is trying to do is avoid a future Perlman type situation where an educator intentionally or not ends up sabotaging or poisoning the athletic department.

Carter and Alberts work really well together so as long as those two are in their respective positions it seems like a good idea. Not sure if it's smart long-term or not.

• Fire 1

bureaucracy destroys everything. literally everything. 

damn, even our great football program. This sends shivers down my spine. If we can’t root out ‘sitting chairs and pencil pushers’ who have never done a f’ing thing in football but decide direction, we are finished as a program. 

let alone our nation as a whole, but I digress. No wonder we are wandering. 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 1

I don't understand.  I thought the AD fires and hires his coaches in all sports.  :dunno  Or was that just the thinking of how it prolly worked back in the 70's, 80's and 90's.  I don't know.

Can you help a brother out and explain what this really means?  And please type slowly :)

11 hours ago, admo said:

I don't understand.  I thought the AD fires and hires his coaches in all sports.  :dunno  Or was that just the thinking of how it prolly worked back in the 70's, 80's and 90's.  I don't know.

Can you help a brother out and explain what this really means?  And please type slowly :)

I tried to explain up above to some degree, but it's a matter of who the AD reports to in the heirarchy. This actually, at least in theory, reduces the chain of command rather than ballooning it. It puts the AD more directly under the President rather than under the Chancellor, who is under the President, and who can be a snively meddlesome academic administrator with deep seated animosity towards the athletic department as we've suffered under plenty in the 2000's :P 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, I am I said:

bureaucracy destroys everything. literally everything. 

damn, even our great football program. This sends shivers down my spine. If we can’t root out ‘sitting chairs and pencil pushers’ who have never done a f’ing thing in football but decide direction, we are finished as a program. 

let alone our nation as a whole, but I digress. No wonder we are wandering. 

Easy now- I think we're fueling a hype train over something that seems pretty simple.  If anything, it was the LACK of bureaucracy that allowed the chancellor to dictate final call.  My understanding is the Chancellor heads up "UNL" but ultimately there is a President for the entire "University of Nebraska'" system.  With this change, it seems like the President will now have a say which makes sense as the President is probably the one that needs to answer to various regents/group affiliated with decision making process for the University system.  By the sounds of it, seems like before said president may have had to answer to decisions they didnt make as it was done at the chancellor level.

It also seems like this was "proposed", not official.  I'm sure this will evolve further.  Given the big money that college athletics have become the past 15 years or so, particularly of a university of our stature, this seems to make sense and kind of surprised the president wasn't required to be more involved previously. 

I say all of that to say if we have success on the field who f'n cares how these rules are setup.  We hopefully have a competent staff now for the first time since the early part of Bo's years- W's on the field fix all.

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Really kind of wondering if Frost has allies on the BoR who are pissed at Trev for pulling the plug...

I would believe it.  See my post in the why/why not Rhule will success thread.  

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This is the biggest reason he has a chance to be successful.  I am not convinced there is any guarantee anyone will actually be successful here again.  It shouldn't be that hard, but here we are.

Reasons he could be - past experience, genuine dude that guys will want to play for, has an actual plan.  Proven talent developer (in easier leagues, see below).

Reasons he might not be - too many cooks in the kitchen.  People still listen to Tom Osborne and are obsessed with the past and love to meddle in this program. Unproven schemes and coaches in this league.  Yet to prove he can develop the talent required to win in the B1G.

Honestly I keep coming back to the outside forces.  Yes it turned out Scott Frost is just a colossal F up, but so many people are trying to steer and mess with Nebraska football.  That is the absolute #1 reason we keep having issues, and I am not sure that is going to be fixed.  All of our collective caring (over caring) is most likely contributing to our downfall.  We need to hire good people and let them do their jobs.  Stop listening to former players, coaches, boosters etc.  Let the new hires do their own work and make this their own. 

• Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I guess that depends on which donations you are referring to.

I know.  When I read that, I was actually thinking about the construction project. They worked so hard to get enough donations to pay for it….then turn around and give 10 million back to the general fund. 

From what I have heard on the OWH Podcast, while it sounds like this is giving more power to the NU Board of Regents, it's really pushing more power over the Athletic Department to Ted Carter, who is the University of Nebraska President.  Ted Carter is a big sports fan, and wants to be more involved in the Athletic Department.  I see that as a good thing.  In the past, the UNL Chancellor held reign over the Athletic Department, but that can run into issues when a Chancellor (see Harvey Pearlman) lets personal feelings and agendas impact decision making and appointing Athletic Directors.

Yes, this does give the Board of Regents more oversight, which can be a double-edged sword.  It provides a checks-and-balances system of one person trying to exert more power over the Athletic Department, but it does allow for wealthy, Board of Regents members (I know they are elected, but they have been big NU donors too) to try to throw their weight around.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2