Rhule: Why he’ll succeed/Why he’ll fail

1 hour ago, jamesbond said:

Rhule cares is the biggest reason he'll be successful. 

This is the biggest reason he has a chance to be successful.  I am not convinced there is any guarantee anyone will actually be successful here again.  It shouldn't be that hard, but here we are.

Reasons he could be - past experience, genuine dude that guys will want to play for, has an actual plan.  Proven talent developer (in easier leagues, see below).

Reasons he might not be - too many cooks in the kitchen.  People still listen to Tom Osborne and are obsessed with the past and love to meddle in this program. Unproven schemes and coaches in this league.  Yet to prove he can develop the talent required to win in the B1G.

Honestly I keep coming back to the outside forces.  Yes it turned out Scott Frost is just a colossal F up, but so many people are trying to steer and mess with Nebraska football.  That is the absolute #1 reason we keep having issues, and I am not sure that is going to be fixed.  All of our collective caring (over caring) is most likely contributing to our downfall.  We need to hire good people and let them do their jobs.  Stop listening to former players, coaches, boosters etc.  Let the new hires do their own work and make this their own. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

Actually, you might want to replay some Bo coached games. There's a video, forget what team we were playing against, where we ran 20+ power sweeps. Also, are you saying Ameer (edit) or Rex (end edit) didn't have anything to do with the Husker's rushing stats? I'd say our offensive lines were pretty decent in the BP era. Might I remind you the huskers won bowl games against both Clemson and Georgia under Bo. 

Lastly, I am a novice arm chair type so I can't comment on what's happened since Bo but line recruitment and development surely are both reasons for Riley & Frost struggles. I think, (might be wrong) Frost recruited decent talent. Yes/No? 

I believe it was Ameer that lead the nation in yards before contact.  You don't get that with a bad O line.

• TBH 3

Matt Rhule cares about Nebraska? I kind of doubt there's much truth to that. He has no ties to the program whatsoever.

Frost cared. But he had no self-awareness for how many shortcomings he had as head coaching material to actually turn things around.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
17 minutes ago, Undone said:

Matt Rhule cares about Nebraska? I kind of doubt there's much truth to that. He has no ties to the program whatsoever.

Frost cared. But he had no self-awareness for how many shortcomings he had as head coaching material to actually turn things around.

A good leader is going to care about an organization almost immediately when they take over, even if they had no previous ties to it.

So....I would say there is at least some truth to that.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

A good leader is going to care about an organization almost immediately when they take over, even if they had no previous ties to it.

So....I would say there is at least some truth to that.

He cares about Nebraska football being successful under his leadership. That's probably so obvious that it isn't even worth mentioning, right?. Although I will say...his contract is pretty much ridiculous; he could all of a sudden stop caring at any point and walk with $66M in total.

But I was talking about caring about Nebraska football's history, etc. The stuff that Nebraska football entails/entailed before he stepped foot on campus.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

He cares about Nebraska football being successful under his leadership. That's probably so obvious that it isn't even worth mentioning, right?. Although I will say...his contract is pretty much ridiculous; he could all of a sudden stop caring at any point and walk with $66M in total.

But I was talking about caring about Nebraska football's history, etc. The stuff that Nebraska football entails/entailed before he stepped foot on campus.

I think he cares about that.  He played at a school that had great tradition and I'm sure he appreciated that.  This is his first coaching spot with the same type of historic tradition.  He also knows that he can use that to motivate and recruit.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He'll succeed because the definition of success has changed dramatically over the years for Husker Football.

The only way he fails is if he's worse than Frost.   Which seems impossible, but nothing would surprise me anymore.

He does not have to do worse than Frost to be considered a failure here.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Because 97% of all fans hate their teams OC.  They either pass too much, run too much, or don't call plays that work.

The only person I'd even put in the same ballpark of universal hatred is the radio guy, but who listens to the radio these days. ;)

4 hours ago, Undone said:

I'll say up front, I think if the Penn St job opened tomorrow, I think he's gone. He's not at that level of devotedness, yet.

That said, I've been very impressed with how quickly he's acquiesced to the Nebraska culture, and not just football. The spring game tribute to Frank, and using the FB first play, I think that's his nod to the fans that he's going to respect that past. I would say, as general criticism of several past Nebraska coaches, one of the failings has been too tightly clinging to the past. Sometimes we are all guilty of living 30 years ago, and the game has changed greatly in that time frame. When you look at some of the top programs today, they're traditional powers that had semi lengthy down times and much of what has gotten them back on top is bringing in and accepting new ideas.

In that sense, I think Rhule is a great fit, and maybe makes him a better choice specifically for Nebraska than other candidates might have been. He has a strong foundational idea of how to run a football program, but he's also been willing over the years to change things whether that's playcalling, analytics, biomonitors, etc.