Rhule: Why he’ll succeed/Why he’ll fail

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Or as bad as Frost. 

The past 8 years have been so bad that the bar is truly that low.  I'd be amazed if we go bowling year 1, BUT some really dumb coaching decisions under Frost cost us games.  Competent coaching and one iota of player development alone might get us  wins.....

Pretty simple to me.

He will succeed - if he has Nebraska playing exactly like Minnesota and Iowa (and Illinois and Northwestern and Michigan State).  

Meaning - Same offense, same strategy, same Big Ten football style on Saturdays.  Time of possession, run the ball, play action, take a shot down field, punt and play defense by winning the field position battle.  Eventually waiting on the other team to make a late mistake.  This is the big ten method that collects wins - more often than not. 

He will fail  -  if our safeties still don't tackle.  In particular, the safeties not helping out the defense against Big Ten running backs when they can in open field opportunities.  Those plays turn into long runs down the field, and at times, long TD runs.  Safeties been playing scared.  They show the weakest "try attempt to tackle" effort I ever seen.  

He will fail if QB turns the ball over that converts into points.  Interceptions can happen and can be part of the game.  QB fumbles and poor QB decisions will lose games.  Would rather take a sack and live for another play or punt, then to see QB fumble scrambling around........ or scrambling to throw a perfect dumb pass to the defense.

57 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Frost did good enough to stay employed for 5 years.  Slightly better has to be worth at least 10.  A 10 year run is mighy successful. 

It's fantasy to think that Rhule would last 10 years by only doing 'slightly better' than Frost.

• TBH 2
41 minutes ago, runningblind said:

For Rhule yes, but if Frost had done slightly better?  They'd have given him longer and it's sad honestly.

Depends on when/how.

If Frost won 6-7 games in year one and then had the same totals all the years after, he wouldn't have lasted any longer.

If he won 1-2 more games each season he maybe would have lasted another year.

If he won 6-7 in 2022, yes he'd still be here (barring any unforeseen off-the-field factors).

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost was so bad that he could actually be better and still not good enough. 

This thought has crossed my mind. It’s way down the line, but I can very well see a scenario where Rhule gets to 7 or 8 wins pretty quickly and the fan base is starting to feel confident, and then things just kind of plateau and the grumbling begins. 

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, brophog said:

I'll say up front, I think if the Penn St job opened tomorrow, I think he's gone.

I've been thinking the same thing. No doubt that's pretty much his dream gig - and maybe he gets it if he somehow turns our dumpster fire into something great.

13 hours ago, brophog said:

That said, I've been very impressed with how quickly he's acquiesced to the Nebraska culture, and not just football. The spring game tribute to Frank, and using the FB first play, I think that's his nod to the fans that he's going to respect that past. I would say, as general criticism of several past Nebraska coaches, one of the failings has been too tightly clinging to the past. Sometimes we are all guilty of living 30 years ago, and the game has changed greatly in that time frame.

He's smart enough to know that he isn't going to last 5+ seasons just because he runs plays out of the 'I' or sprinkles in some option. He also is clearly in the upper percentiles of motivated & driven people, because he turned down roughly $40M from the Panthers to come here. And even though he gets a guaranteed $66M if he instantly crashes & burns (which I think is just absolutely stupid as a paradigm), I know he's going to put everything he's got into this gig because that's just who he is.

Going back to the topic of the thread, he'll be in the best place to be successful if he can change the overall psychology of the team to be confident in the practice & training they have under their belt and to step out onto the field believing they'll win. He needs to find the root cause of what's been causing the team to play scared, which makes the guys really mistake-prone.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
18 hours ago, Red Five said:

Because 97% of all fans hate their teams OC.  They either pass too much, run too much, or don't call plays that work.

In 2010 Helu and TMart both had 1000+ rushing yards, and Rex had 990. Essentially three 1000 yard rushers, and I remember reading on a different Neb message board about how terrible Shawn Watson was and how much better Tim Beck was going to be. 

• TBH 1
10 minutes ago, Fru said:

This thought has crossed my mind. It’s way down the line, but I can very well see a scenario where Rhule gets to 7 or 8 wins pretty quickly and the fan base is starting to feel confident, and then things just kind of plateau and the grumbling begins. 

And...I think that would be appropriate.

Right now, we suck and am a 4 win team.  Getting to 7-8 wins would be a decent first step.  But, that's not the ultimate goal.  The ultimate goal is competing for championships.  So, if Rhule gets to 7-8 wins and can't do any better, then the fan base would be justified in grumbling.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if Rhule gets to 7-8 wins and can't do any better, then the fan base would be justified in grumbling.

I don't even know what to think about that, given where college football may be at in a few years. The Big Ten isn't done expanding, which means the SEC probably isn't done expanding. When we get to years 4 or 5, when this question would come up, what does 8 wins even mean at that point? Alabama may still get into a 12 team playoff with 8 wins.:D

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And...I think that would be appropriate.

Right now, we suck and am a 4 win team.  Getting to 7-8 wins would be a decent first step.  But, that's not the ultimate goal.  The ultimate goal is competing for championships.  So, if Rhule gets to 7-8 wins and can't do any better, then the fan base would be justified in grumbling.

Agreed. There’s no reason Neb can’t routinely threaten for a B1G Title and a playoff spot with the expanded field.