Matthews First 20/20 Player in Husker History

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Sure would be nice if we had a pitching staff that could help this offense out. 

For the most part I agree with you.

But we only gave up one run in nine innings to one of the best offenses in the country last night.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

Not unusual for nail-biters in playoff baseball tho.  And sometimes the pitchers in games come through when the hitters have their back-ends puckered up.  Nervous or tightness kicks in during playoff games.

I tell you what though, rain delays are horrible.  And that kid from Maryland whacked a game winner that just barely cleared the fence.  Although - he does lead college baseball with nearly 100 ribbies.... and is up there too with home runs.  Prolly not a guy to pitch to.  

3 minutes ago, admo said:

Not unusual for nail-biters in playoff baseball tho.  And sometimes the pitchers in games come through when the hitters have their back-ends puckered up.  Nervous or tightness kicks in during playoff games.

I tell you what though, rain delays are horrible.  And that kid from Maryland whacked a game winner that just barely cleared the fence.  Although - he does lead college baseball with nearly 100 ribbies.... and is up there too with home runs.  Prolly not a guy to pitch to.  

I fell asleep before the end of the game.  If he's that good of a hitter and nobody is on base and there's already two outs.  Why wouldn't they intentionally walk him and get to someone who isn't quite as good?

37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I fell asleep before the end of the game.  If he's that good of a hitter and nobody is on base and there's already two outs.  Why wouldn't they intentionally walk him and get to someone who isn't quite as good?

The problem there is you're putting the winning run on base. The guy behind him isn't a slouch either, and once you have the runner on first a double in the gap wins it - no longer takes a home run. Or a passed ball and a single, or other things that are more likely than a home run. Generally you aren't going to put the winning run on base, although given the outcome it's easy to second guess.

If there were already a runner on second, no doubt they would have walked him to have force out opportunities and face the slightly worse hitter. But putting him on when the bases were empty introduces a lot more ways the next guy could end it.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2