We may have to start winning

6 hours ago, Undone said:

I don't think this is actually even remotely true. Adrian just happened to be the best QB Frost could get, but that's completely different from believing that Scott dialed in only on Adrian and wouldn't have taken a different guy if he could have.

So we need more QB running to be better on offense? The problem was not enough/not good enough QB running?

And for the record, Adrian's 40 yard dash time was 4.55 at the NFL combine, and the most recent (and fastest) time I can find for Sims is 4.78. And even outside of that I find it very unlikely that Sims is a better ball carrier than Adrian. 

Well he could have went out and got Joe Burrow but he didn't.  I'm not saying JB would have been the same caliber of player he was at LSU but one would think he wouldn't have made the same mistakes year in and out.  Not trying to bring up what is in the past bc it's over and done with.  Time will tell what type of runner Sims is.  I tend to think that Adrian ran well within the game but when it really mattered in the 4th quarter he was careless with the ball.  Just lets see what type of runner Jeff Sims is before we start to compare qb's bc he could be a stud or a dud.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lo country said:

Not thinking Rhule is going to run Sims into the ground like we have seen the previous years under Frost.  Can't afford for him to get injured.  

If Rhule's past is any indication, the days of spamming QB Power with your only viable QB are over.

There are ways to have your QB in the run game that are safer.

Deep routes against man coverage where your QB can take off with the defenders backs turned.

QB Draw out of empty where you can get a light box and control the pursuit.

Bootlegs and Zone Reads are really instances where your QB is effectively indirectly blocking a man because the backside pursuit has to account for him and if they don't he can often pick up a lot of yards before contact.

When they do want to bring that QB Power element into the game both Rhule and Satterfield have history of using the Wildcat so it's someone other than your starting QB taking those hits.

The key to all of these ways of bringing the QB position into the run game is letting others be the focal point and allowing your QB to take advantage of the numbers. You can get a lot of yards in the run game without him being the head of the spear. That's much, much more typical of how they've utilized the QB run element in the past.

10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I tend to think that Adrian ran well within the game but when it really mattered in the 4th quarter he was careless with the ball.

I know we're discussing QB running abilities here. So it's fair you brought this point up. But two main points of pushback:

1. What about how the rest of the team (and coaches) would f*** up for the other 3.5 quarters of the contest that made so many entirely winnable games have to come down to Adrian running for his life at the end in order to win?

2. What about how Frost failed to really get a running back being very productive in years 3 & 4? Adrian was the leading rusher both of those seasons, and the second leading rusher those years were:

-Mills: 396 yards on 84 carries in 2020

-Johnson: 495 yards on 112 carries in 2021.

The larger issue to address around this whole conversation is not having to rely on your QB run game to win games, in my opinion. It isn't viable. 

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I tend to think that Adrian ran well within the game but when it really mattered in the 4th quarter he was careless with the ball.  

I would like to see some proof where Adrian had more turnovers in the 4th quarter vs. other times of the game.  I think there may be some perception bias going on.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3
On 8/8/2023 at 11:58 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I would like to see some proof where Adrian had more turnovers in the 4th quarter vs. other times of the game.  I think there may be some perception bias going on.

I'm interested too but I'm not gonna scrape all 12 games. I did the first 4 conference games from last year.

NW
Neb 28 - NU 24 3rd & 9 at NU 42 (12:24 - 4th) Casey Thompson pass intercepted Cameron Mitchell return for 27 yds to the Neb 42
Neb 28 - NU 31 2nd & 4 at NEB 21 (1:27 - 4th) Casey Thompson pass intercepted Xander Mueller return for no gain to the Neb 27

IU
IU 21 - Neb 21 1st & 10 at IU 32 (10:17 - 3rd) Casey Thompson pass intercepted

Rutgers
Neb 0 - Rutg 10 2nd & 11 at NEB 43 (1:16 - 1st) Casey Thompson pass intercepted Christian Braswell return for 1 yd to the Rutgr 37
Neb 0 - Rutg 131st & 10 at RUTG 27 (4:36 - 2nd) Casey Thompson pass intercepted Max Melton return for 1 yd to the Rutgr 6

Purdue
Neb 10 - Pur 17 1st & 10 at NEB 33 (5:30 - 2nd) Casey Thompson pass intercepted
Neb 30 - Pur 37 1st & 10 at NEB 39 (9:03 - 4th) Casey Thompson pass intercepted

Small sample but so far

1 in the 1st

2 in the 2nd

1 in the 3rd

3 in the 4th

----

If anyone else wants to grab the info, I went to the schedule on ESPN, clicked on the score, check Thompson's interceptions and fumbles on the box score tab and got the info from the Play by Play tab.

• Thanks 2

On 8/6/2023 at 1:26 PM, BoNeyard said:

College Football is changing rapidly and although today things may seem stable, I don't trust it. The networks are calling the shots and it is very concerning for the future of college football. This round of realignment and media deals completely wiped out a athletic conference that has been around for 100+ years. No one is safe and that includes Nebraska. We got lucky back when we join the Big Ten, our brand was very strong, we had history and not only were we playing competitive football, the Nebraska fans were an attractive market for the Big Ten. But the last 10 years we have been mediocre to down right bad. 

My concern is the next round of media rights and discussions may see non-competitive programs and teams being kicked out of conferences. I get when Rutgers and Maryland joined it was to gobble up the TV markets as that was seen as a big deal, but I think what ESPN and FOX are going to be wanting in the next round is simply competitive games every single Saturday. They want people glued to their TV's all day Saturday, similar to how the NFL runs Sunday's. I think these networks will realize that they'd rather have Michigan vs USC and Ohio State vs Penn State type of games then Ohio State vs Maryland or having to air Purdue vs Northwestern. 

I could see the Big Ten getting rid of teams like Maryland, Rutgers, maybe even Indiana and Purdue to make room for teams like Clemson, FSU and Miami. With geography, traditions and rivalries out the window, the Big Ten/FOX could be looking to make Saturday's as jam packed as possible with top winning programs knowing college football fans from all over are going to tune in and watch, instead of focusing on getting the New Jersey TV market for an awful Rutgers program. 

If Nebraska doesn't start winning and becoming competitive, I worry when that TV deal comes back up and that is the philosophy of the networks, that Nebraska may not qualify for a spot at the table. At this time we will be nearing 20 years of irrelevancy on the big stage and our small market sized state suddenly doesn't have all that much to offer. Do we travel well? Heck yes we do, Nebraska fans are the sole reason we likely got into the Big Ten originally and certainly has been the only reason this program continues to hold a big name brand, but with less and less emphasis on ticket sales, and the uncertainty of if the new generation of Nebraska fans will be as loyal as the previous generation, man I don't know if we become that attractive. 

It's worrisome times, I don't trust any of it, and the only way to make sure we remain worthy of qualifications to a big time conference is to win. I love college football, but these are some ugly times.

We'll be fine.  Despite the ineptitude of the administration and coaching staff selection for the past decade, very few programs drive a higher amount of fans in the stadium and on TV at the consistency and level we do.  

You're right, TV/media entities do have a substantially higher weight & clout in college football these days.  However, I see this is a massive opportunity for us more than a threat.  Need to start winning games, and once that happens, the potential exposure and path to playoffs is there for the taking now that 12 teams get in. 

Even if this does not happen, we're still in an extremely strong position.  You would see the dismal of many many programs prior to us if this were to ever occur.

NW
Neb 28 - NU 24 3rd & 9 at NU 42 (12:24 - 4th) Casey Thompson pass intercepted Cameron Mitchell return for 27 yds to the Neb 42
Neb 28 - NU 31 2nd & 4 at NEB 21 (1:27 - 4th) Casey Thompson pass intercepted Xander Mueller return for no gain to the Neb 27

N Dakota
UND 0 Neb 7 1st & 10 at UND 37 (4:24 - 1st) Casey Thompson sacked by Ben McNaboe for a loss of 8 yards to the NDKTA 45 Casey Thompson fumbled, recovered by NDKTA Devon Krzanowski , return for 0 yards
UND 10 Neb 17 3rd & 11 at NEB 16 (5:06 - 3rd) Casey Thompson pass intercepted

IU
IU 21 - Neb 21 1st & 10 at IU 32 (10:17 - 3rd) Casey Thompson pass intercepted

Rutgers
Neb 0 - Rutg 10 2nd & 11 at NEB 43 (1:16 - 1st) Casey Thompson pass intercepted Christian Braswell return for 1 yd to the Rutgr 37
Neb 0 - Rutg 131st & 10 at RUTG 27 (4:36 - 2nd) Casey Thompson pass intercepted Max Melton return for 1 yd to the Rutgr 6

Purdue
Neb 10 - Pur 17 1st & 10 at NEB 33 (5:30 - 2nd) Casey Thompson pass intercepted
Neb 30 - Pur 37 1st & 10 at NEB 39 (9:03 - 4th) Casey Thompson pass intercepted

Ill
Ill 6 - Neb 0 3rd & 10 at ILL 31 (10:51 - 1st) Casey Thompson pass intercepted Jartavius Martin return for no gain to the Ill 17
ill 6 - Neb 9 3rd & 11 at NEB 29 (6:31 - 2nd) Casey Thompson pass intercepted Sydney Brown return for 37 yds to the Neb 11

CT had no turnovers vs GeSo, Okla, Wis or Iowa, didn't play Minn and Mich.

CT's 2022 turnovers by quarter
1st 3
2nd 3
3rd 2
4th 3

• Plus1 3
On 8/7/2023 at 4:40 PM, lo country said:

Sims own interviews he's a passing QB.  I don't think we are going to see triple option from the I with a FB every down.  We have one QB and some other guys battling it out to be the best of the not starting calibre.  Not thinking Rhule is going to run Sims into the ground like we have seen the previous years under Frost.  Can't afford for him to get injured.  

Sims is conscious of battling the Running QB label because he know his passing will be the primary consideration in the NFL draft.

I think that Rhule's attitude of establishing the run, if successful, would do nothing but help the passing game. It makes play actions freeze people, it forces opposing safeties to cheat up for run support, where they might then be exploited deep.

I hope that game play calling is smart SITUATIONALLY. There's a different way you might look at the smart play call for 2nd and 2, depending upon the score, where you are in the game, and who is in the game. I also hope we show the ability to actually make adjustments at half time, if needed. Our commitment to always huddling will allow the defense to substitute freely on every play. (Although I would rather not do hurry up and make mistakes).

21 hours ago, runningblind said:

2018 - AM
1st - 3
2nd - 3
3rd - 3
4th - 4

2019 - AM
1st - 3
2nd - 4
3rd - 0
4th - 2

2020 - AM
1st - 2
2nd - 1
3rd - 4
4th - 1

2021 - AM
1st - 1
2nd - 2
3rd - 3
4th - 6
OT - 1

Thanks for that analysis, RB.  So, other than 2021, Adrian didn't have significantly more turnovers in the 4th quarter compared to the rest of the game.

To defend Adrian in 2021, while those turnovers were most likely game killers, NU was close, but still needing to try and come from behind (don't have dirty thoughts) and Adrian may have been forced to take more chances, thus an increase in likelihood of turnovers.  I am sure someone will point out the Michigan game where he had the ball stripped away from him, and that's true, that was a tough play for Adrian.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

"We've got to win football games".

That is the underlying outcome/criteria.

All the rest is blah blah blah.  With soft tones.

In other words, what he is saying, this is our "in your face" actuality, point blank, close target realization.  Win football games or .........................

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
20 minutes ago, admo said:

"We've got to win football games".

That is the underlying outcome/criteria.

All the rest is blah blah blah.  With soft tones.

In other words, what he is saying, this is our "in your face" actuality, point blank, close target realization.  Win football games or .........................

Some folks disagreed with posters for mentioning this a few weeks ago.......Just saying.  Thanks Trev.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I don’t know how anyone could watch Episode 3 of “A Look N” and not feel confident that we’re going to be fine.

IV of Koolaid going here.

I feel like we finally have an adult as a HC (I liked Bo).  More important than saying the right things, it appears that he is doing them.  I haven't heard any "best off season ever", "best workouts ever", "closer than we have ever been" etc...And, to quote Dabo, Rhule and Co "brought their own guts".  Didn't bring in some company to try and build team work or camaraderie.  Dude just gets it.  

• Plus1 4