Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... that's more what we had last year.  And it didn't really help.  Other than we had an NFL wide receiver to throw to.

I don't feel like I can make a great analysis of this offensive production to last year's until we play a few more games. But if I want to compare Sims' basic QB abilities to Thompsons using all available tape from the two schools they'd both played at up through right now, I think it's obvious who the better guy is.

But I think that's a separate conversation anyway. I'm saying that I believe the obsession with p0WeR f00TBalL got us Sims. So I'm asking: why do we have to have a QB that can truck a safety at Nebraska in 2023?

Sims is a one-dimensional guy, and it yields you one-dimensional results because of how defenses play you.

• TBH 1

Sims is sporadic with the abilities of both a playmaker and play breaker. 
Unfortunately, I think Sims is the best decision at this point … or… 

We go with Haarberg in the role of a game manager.  But that means the running backs and the o-line need to step it up big time to become the rushing production and Haarberg makes a good scramble here and there.  We call smart/easy throws for him, grind clock , play conservative and hang your hat on the D.  We basically become Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin until we go Primetime on the portal next season.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

There should be major questions about Rhule’s eye for talent.  He admitted he had no idea Sims led the country in turnovers when he brought him in. 

That's a thing that happened in real life. 

Didn't he have a bunch of his dudes from Temple playing for him in the NFL? lmao

Rhule has  had an issue addressing QB talent in the past.   It’s basically what got him fired from Carolina.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

4 minutes ago, Decked said:

We are stuck this year. There isn’t one good QB on this roster. Sims will be gone next year and potentially satterfield. 

unfortunately this ain't happening. Rhule isn't firing his guy in satterfield. osborne and trev will not be telling him to either. 

if Rhule is to be a serious coach in the Big ten, you can't insist on putting Jeff sims out there. A game manager is good enough to get you to at least .500, maybe a division win in the big ten west. we've seen iowa, wisconsin and northwestern do that year after year while we trot out mistake prone "game changing", 4.5-40 athletes who will never be able to handle the physicality of the big ten.  

2 minutes ago, thatguy said:

unfortunately this ain't happening. Rhule isn't firing his guy in satterfield. osborne and trev will not be telling him to either. 

if Rhule is to be a serious coach in the Big ten, you can't insist on putting Jeff sims out there. A game manager is good enough to get you to at least .500, maybe a division win in the big ten west. we've seen iowa, wisconsin and northwestern do that year after year while we trot out mistake prone "game changing", 4.5-40 athletes who will never be able to handle the physicality of the big ten.  

There is 0 way if this process repeats like this for the entire season that Satterfield comes back. Rhule isn’t stupid. But either or…Jeff Sims is gone after this year. I agree though. The dude costs more points than he does score them. You’re literally better off statistically punting the ball at the moment than playing offense. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Cannot be overstated - Sims was the pick this year.

Just trust the evaluators for the next one?

I suppose this is one of those times when you hope people learn from their mistakes.

Sims is a freak athlete.  He was JOGGING today and no one could get near him on his TD run.  But a pocket passer he is not and never never will be.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I suppose this is one of those times when you hope people learn from their mistakes.

Sims is a freak athlete.  He was JOGGING today and no one could get near him on his TD run.  But a pocket passer he is not and never never will be.

A mistake this big and you should go. Satterfield is a s#!t OC and obviously can’t watch film. He was s#!t last year. There are Nebraska high school coaches who could do better at OC than what we displayed the last two weeks. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I'm concerned by the double standard and its team impact.  Grant fumbles in practice and once in a game.  Benched.

Sims will give the other team the ball like he's being paid to do so...and Rhule stated in the post game he had zero, ZERO, thought of pulling him.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sims is a freak athlete.  He was JOGGING today and no one could get near him on his TD run.

Right, so it's a lot like with T-Magic. Except the players around him aren't as good.

Some people will then say "yeah so Sims gets a bit of a pass because of 'the line' or no stars at running back." But Sims' play is pretty erratic and he just seems to lack some of the basic things a QB needs to have.

Maybe just like Tim Beck would do, you make some adjustments to set up creative ways to spring Sims loose on the zone reads. But either way it's such a boom or bust scheme and that's what I hate about it. The halfway decent teams shut it down often by just spying him and playing close to the line of scrimmage.

21 minutes ago, Decked said:

There is 0 way if this process repeats like this for the entire season that Satterfield comes back. Rhule isn’t stupid. But either or…Jeff Sims is gone after this year. I agree though. The dude costs more points than he does score them. You’re literally better off statistically punting the ball at the moment than playing offense. 

with anyone else, i would agree. but this is a head coach who really prides himself on developing and coaching 0 star recruits and coaches. i mean, he refused to fire a badly performing O-line coach on his way in, hired a high school coach to be a position coach and a 24 year old as a WR coach. then he released the returning starting QB and brought in a turnover prone QB. he obviously believes he has a midas touch.

that being said, i still think he'll be successful here. he just needs to decide if he wants to slow the process down or fast track it. the possible mistake i think he's making right now is thinking he has 3 years to work with in this transfer portal era.

• Plus1 1