Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Rhule has always had a mobile QB. 

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Why the f*** do we need a QB at Nebraska in 2023 that can run over a safety? What is the program's obsession with this at this point.

We don't need that. We need somebody that has been brought up with pocket presence, footwork, a good throwing motion - you know, the basics of the position. These dual threat guys are killing us.

Haarberg is maybe more of a passer but he's probably not ready. As far as looking towards 2024, Satterfield might be the biggest obstacle. Let's say there's more of a pass-first guy in the portal who likes what we can offer with NIL...does that kind of a player really want to play in this scheme?

10 minutes ago, Decked said:

Can they get worse?? I mean seriously 

It was indeed a familiarity/buddy hire 

I think it’s a fair question.  I just don’t know.

Based upon what I saw, I think we are stuck with Sims.  The season will go as he goes.

Its game 2 and I feel like the season is over.  It’s a real shame for the rest of the team.  There’s some talent.

• TBH 1
33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Even as a Hall of Famer people can’t bring themselves to give him any credit. 

Nice strawman. If you wanted to, you could find over a decade of my posts defending Taylor.

This situation is similar to times we had with him. There were times we were one-dimensional in his first couple seasons. To save some time, no, I didn't mention that particular qualifier in that original post.

But we're one-dimensional now. I'm sure there's no disagreement there.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Nice strawman. If you wanted to, you could find over a decade of my posts defending Taylor.

This situation is similar to times we had with him. There were times we were one-dimensional in his first couple seasons. To save some time, no, I didn't mention that particular qualifier in that original post.

But we're one-dimensional now. I'm sure there's no disagreement there.

Not at all a straw man.  It's literally what happens.

Although I wasn't trying to direct it at you.  Thus why I didn't reply directly to you.

1 hour ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I don't see how you can not split time or outright bench at QB next week.  This is a horrible message to the team if you mess up this much and not risk losing your job.

You have to bench him. I don't care if it leads to a loss next week. This is about culture and accountability, and not being consistent with every player (Ala Washington) is where Frost began to lose the team. Rhule needs to make it clear the culture and expectations are for everyone on the roster or his tenure will end exactly the same as Frost's.

5 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

You have to bench him. I don't care if it leads to a loss next week. This is about culture and accountability, and not being consistent with every player (Ala Washington) is where Frost began to lose the team. Rhule needs to make it clear the culture and expectations are for everyone on the roster or his tenure will end exactly the same as Frost's.

Pretty tricky situation now.  Pretty much like Frost/Martinez/McCaffrey a couple of years ago (but Sims has been way worse than Martinez).  If you start someone else next game (or two) they could very well play worse - OK, can't play a lot worse - and Nebraska could win.  So they you're kind of stuck starting them the next game (or two) because then you don't want to bench the guy who won a game (or two).  But if they don't end up being any better, it's tough to pull them before it's too late and you've lost another game that you could have won.

I'm not saying I'd stick with Sims.  I just think it's kind of a no-win situation if one guy is (presumably) shown he's the better QB in practice but it isn't translating to games.

I think at the absolute least, you need to bench Sims. Can’t set a precedent that performance this poor is even remotely acceptable. He already lead the country in turnovers before NE. Based on his  history, this isn’t far from what we should have expected. Can we really expect a drastic improvement from him?

I think an overlooked risk to keeping him at QB: imagine being one of the other players, especially on D… how long can you rally behind another player performing even half as badly as he is, and maintain a decent morale? At some point, teammates are going to feel their efforts are wasted. 

Play anyone else, play 2-3 other QBs, let them battle it out at first if there’s no clear choice. Sure it might be messy. But messier than this?! Maybe one of the other QBs even starts to show more promise as they get some game-time under their belt. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I just don’t think you can. The guy provides you with your best chance to win and lose.

They put any of the other guys in there it’s over.  Other teams load the box and go to man.  It’s done folks.

In two games you’ve seen how 2023 is going to go.  We will beat some sorry teams.  Beat a couple marginal teams and Sims pulls together a mistake free game for us to win one game we shouldn’t.

Buckle up because all we know is there’s going to be ? every week.  We need to find the best QB available in the portal and there can be no doubts around him.

Why is it Nebraska either can’t spot talent or talent won’t come here?   I remember watching Wyoming when we played Josh Allen and questioning how the hell Wyoming can get a qb like that and we can’t.  I watch college teams all day long not just high lights and I see small teams or irrelevant teams with qbs that can scramble when needed and throw the ball well.   Why can’t we have a stable of those Guys.   Don’t we have the facilities kids would love?   Fan support?   Money?   I just don’t get it.  

• Plus1 3
25 minutes ago, KCgodd002 said:

Why is it Nebraska either can’t spot talent or talent won’t come here?   I remember watching Wyoming when we played Josh Allen and questioning how the hell Wyoming can get a qb like that and we can’t.  I watch college teams all day long not just high lights and I see small teams or irrelevant teams with qbs that can scramble when needed and throw the ball well.   Why can’t we have a stable of those Guys.   Don’t we have the facilities kids would love?   Fan support?   Money?   I just don’t get it.  

We have had them. Our coaches weren’t able to develop them or put them in a position to succeed. Adrian was absolutely a good QB and progressively worsened here until going to K state where he played well again. Casey is a good QB. And yes Sims does have a lot of raw ability. The difference IMO is that we just haven’t really put these guys in an offensive scheme to utilize their strengths. Sims can make some really good throws(the one Bullock dropped comes to mind). But if they can’t figure out a way to simplify things to make him more effective it won’t matter. Satterfield was the one staff hire I hated and I’m really concerned I was right but I’m not going to give up on him quite yet. What Sims is doing is unprecedented and I have a hard time believing it will continue like this. I want to at least see the offense when we aren’t continually self immolating

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I just don’t think you can. The guy provides you with your best chance to win and lose.

They put any of the other guys in there it’s over.  Other teams load the box and go to man.  It’s done folks.

In two games you’ve seen how 2023 is going to go.  We will beat some sorry teams.  Beat a couple marginal teams and Sims pulls together a mistake free game for us to win one game we shouldn’t.

Buckle up because all we know is there’s going to be ? every week.  We need to find the best QB available in the portal and there can be no doubts around him.

The idea that he gives you the best chance to win is not based in reality. It’s baseless. There is absolutely no evidence to show that. All the evidence points to is the fact that he’s the most athletic player in the qb room. That’s it. He gives you the best chance to torpedo your team’s confidence and momentum, based on evidence. 
yea teams may load the box against HH, but all they have to do against sims is be in base defense and wait for him to throw a pick or drop the ball. Here’s a list of things sims has shown he cannot do:

- throw accurately beyond 15 yards

- handle a snap in crunch time , critical moments

- go through progressions

- look off a safety 

- improvise under pressure 

- handle motions and snap counts together

anyone with these qualities should not be handling snaps at a p5 program in the big ten. 

• Plus1 1