Sims vs HH

ndobney

3 hours ago, HuskerX said:

Sims is the more talented QB of the two, period. Yes, he needs to make better decisions overall, but Sims has a better chance at winning in the Big Ten -- HH just isn't talented enough.

Depends on what's meant by talent.  Doesn't matter if you have athletic talent for days if you don't have the skillset to manage a football game at a 7th grade level.

Haarberg easily gives this football team the best chance to win, it shouldn't even be a difficult decision for Rhule.

The good news is Sims can now focus on a few packages just for him instead of trying to command the entire offense, which is far beyond his ability level.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Toe said:

I'd have Sims in, but keep him on a short leash. If he can settle down a little, he's the better QB. But of course, nothing in the game wipes out a player's (or a team's) advantages faster than turnovers...

Sims has not proven to be the better QB in any way. I'd have Haarberg in and I'd be watching Purdy as well to see if he's getting it. I'll give Sims major credit for this, instead of sitting on the back bench pouting like some QBs in the past have done, he's been fully supportive of the guy on the field.

• TBH 1
37 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Is this post supposed to be clever, witty, or clairvoyant? Because it is none of those.

Nebraska hasn't been a bowl game since 2016. It lost at home to NIU in 2017. They also lost to Troy and Georgia Southern within the last five years.

So, it is a bit silly that some of our fans are 'laughing their asses off' about good performances against perceptibly less talented teams. One would think this fan base would've moved beyond that type of vanity.

This is a thread about Sims vs HH, not about if NU has struggled against similar opponents or not. HH played NIU at home. Sims played Minn and CU both on the road. It's really hard to know whether HH is truly better than Sims.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

I will say one thing that struck me last night:  We saw HH throw the same ball into double coverage as Simms has done.  To me, this is a coaching thing.  Same exact play over the middle 15 yards down middle of the field.  As far as who is better...........we still don't have enough info.  NIU was a very poor team on offense and sub par on defense, undersized.

• TBH 2

I think we need to have both ready.  This team is trying to get some offense going. If there’s no number 1 QB so be it. Rotate them both. But HH deserves to get the start next week. If he plays well keep it going. I’d tell Sims he will get some series next week and let him focus on a few things, not running the offense for 4 quarters.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Is this post supposed to be clever, witty, or clairvoyant? Because it is none of those.

Nebraska hasn't been a bowl game since 2016. It lost at home to NIU in 2017. They also lost to Troy and Georgia Southern within the last five years.

So, it is a bit silly that some of our fans are 'laughing their asses off' about good performances against perceptibly less talented teams. One would think this fan base would've moved beyond that type of vanity.

Sorry Mr Haarberg, didnt mean to say your son was a bad qb. I actually like his play. But I also know who we played. I'm not laughing about a good performance. I am just aware of competition levels and the difference between Michigan and NIU. 

Ley your  son know no hard feelings..

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is a thread about Sims vs HH, not about if NU has struggled against similar opponents or not. HH played NIU at home. Sims played Minn and CU both on the road. It's really hard to know whether HH is truly better than Sims.

Nebraska hasn’t been consistently good against any level of competition for a long time, particularly at the QB position, so it’s really bizarre that we have fans waving off HH’s performance because it was against NIU. We LOSE to teams like NIU.

I agree the circumstances for both were not apples to apples. There were also 8-9 months of things that happened we didn’t see, including Sims’ teammates voting for him as a single digit. They must’ve had good reason to.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

It’s not very difficult at all. Of course “better” is subjective. Sims may be “better” in many aspects of the game but regardless the competitors level we definitely can draw inferences from their performances in games thus far. Turnovers at the levels Sims has committed them will lose games against anyone we play whether it is NIU or Northwestern or Michigan. The fact that those turnovers cost us 2 losses in winnable games already is about all we need to know. HH may not be “better” but unless JS drastically changes who he has been throughout his career, HH does give us the better chance to win games.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Nebraska hasn’t been consistently good against any level of competition for a long time, particularly at the QB position, so it’s really bizarre that we have fans waving off HH’s performance because it was against NIU. We LOSE to teams like NIU.

I agree the circumstances for both were not apples to apples. There were also 8-9 months of things that happened we didn’t see, including Sims’ teammates voting for him as a single digit. They must’ve had good reason to.

We also beat teams like Northern Illinois 44-8, like we did in 2019. I'm not waving off HH's performance so much as saying it's just one game against a team we should beat by a few scores. I think we mostly agree here.

17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It’s not very difficult at all. Of course “better” is subjective. Sims may be “better” in many aspects of the game but regardless the competitors level we definitely can draw inferences from their performances in games thus far. Turnovers at the levels Sims has committed them will lose games against anyone we play whether it is NIU or Northwestern or Michigan. The fact that those turnovers cost us 2 losses in winnable games already is about all we need to know. HH may not be “better” but unless JS drastically changes who he has been throughout his career, HH does give us the better chance to win games.

The point though is that we don't actually know if HH gives us a better chance to win games. HH might have cost us the Minn and CU games if he had been the starter, either dramatically in fashion similar to JS or just not being able to move the ball on offense. Because we haven't seen JS and HH play against similar competition, it's just speculation what the one who wasn't playing would have done. For all we know, JS could have had a monster day against NIU and beaten them by even more. That's why I think it's difficult to know.

Having said all that, I think HH does give us the better chance simply because JS fumbled not 1 but 2 snaps. But maybe some competition for the starting spot will help bring out the best in JS, we'll have to wait and see.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2

Sims has an injury. A high ankle sprain, right?  I’ve always heard those really don’t get much better till they have a lot of time to heal. 

A major part of Sim’s game is his running. That’s not going to be there with his injury. 

I say hi with HH. Give him more playing time this week to add confidence and experience.  If we get up big against La Tech, put sims in to see if he’s ready. Get him some reps without the fake on the line. If HH gets  rattled and in trouble against Michigan, we can try Sims again. 

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sims has an injury. A high ankle sprain, right?  I’ve always heard those really don’t get much better till they have a lot of time to heal. 

A major part of Sim’s game is his running. That’s not going to be there with his injury. 

I say hi with HH. Give him more playing time this week to add confidence and experience.  If we get up big against La Tech, put sims in to see if he’s ready. Get him some reps without the fake on the line. If HH gets  rattled and in trouble against Michigan, we can try Sims again. 

I'm going off memory but I'm sure Rhule said in one of his pressers last week it wasn't a high ankle sprain.  

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Sims turnover problem has nothing to do with the level of competition.  He quite literally cannot be trusted to take shotgun snaps.  The guy is a complete liability.  Sims was far from being the cemented starter after the Colorado game.   He's even farther now.

I agree. The mistakes we’ve seen from Sims really have nothing to do with the level of competition we’ve seen thus far. Bobbling snaps that hit you in the hands….staring down receivers….looking directly at a defender and throwing it directly to him anyway. I have no reason to believe, other than random chance, it would’ve been any different against NIU. And I’m also pretty sure it would be even worse against most of our upcoming opponents with better defenses.

This is not to say HH won’t ever have those problems but rather that we know for a fact it is an issue that seems to plague Sims. I mean I’d give him another chance but he’d be on the shortest leash imaginable. Like I said before, I think his ceiling is higher but that floor….woof.

• Plus1 1