Sims vs HH

ndobney

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sims has an injury. A high ankle sprain, right?  I’ve always heard those really don’t get much better till they have a lot of time to heal. 

A major part of Sim’s game is his running. That’s not going to be there with his injury. 

I say hi with HH. Give him more playing time this week to add confidence and experience.  If we get up big against La Tech, put sims in to see if he’s ready. Get him some reps without the fake on the line. If HH gets  rattled and in trouble against Michigan, we can try Sims again. 

The high ankle was a post-game guesstimate after CU.  The staff later said it wasn't a traditional high sprain.  He was cleared to practice Wednesday before NIU game.  And he took reps.

I think when he got hurt in the Colo game he tapped out.  He could have gone back in, possibly, but the staff sat him.  And probably a smart thing to do for all.  

After seeing HH make his way through his first college football start ever, and playing pretty good in that regard, he should be the starter against LaTech.  I'm sure the staff likes the job he did and the momentum, but prolly needs to see more. 

Meaning, can HH keep it going, improve, make some throws to add another element to the offense?  Or is he going to show mistakes and regress?  What about turnovers?  

I think you give HH the keys to the LaTech game. 

But also, if we get down by 10-13-16 early on, don't panic.  And don't pull him and expect to roll out Sims to suddenly save the day.   Have a plan to play both for a series or two.  Or stick with one and keep the other holding the clipboard.  

Short leash theory is the worst thought for competitors, especially QBs, kickers, and pitchers.  

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, admo said:

Short leash theory is the worst thought for competitors, especially QBs, kickers, and pitchers.  

I agree with this. That’s why you don’t tell them the leash is short…..but it is. It has to be when you’re working on your 2nd, 3rd, 4th turnover of a game. There comes a time when you have to cut bait. That time was clearly before his 3rd turnover vs CU but it took an injury to put him on the sideline. When he gets back in a game, and he will, Rhule has to pull the plug quicker when things go south. Sims has to take care of the ball or get used to holding a clipboard.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, admo said:

The high ankle was a post-game guesstimate after CU.  The staff later said it wasn't a traditional high sprain.  He was cleared to practice Wednesday before NIU game.  And he took reps.

I think when he got hurt in the Colo game he tapped out.  He could have gone back in, possibly, but the staff sat him.  And probably a smart thing to do for all.  

After seeing HH make his way through his first college football start ever, and playing pretty good in that regard, he should be the starter against LaTech.  I'm sure the staff likes the job he did and the momentum, but prolly needs to see more. 

Meaning, can HH keep it going, improve, make some throws to add another element to the offense?  Or is he going to show mistakes and regress?  What about turnovers?  

I think you give HH the keys to the LaTech game. 

But also, if we get down by 10-13-16 early on, don't panic.  And don't pull him and expect to roll out Sims to suddenly save the day.   Have a plan to play both for a series or two.  Or stick with one and keep the other holding the clipboard.  

Ok….but I still like my idea. 

Start HH this week with the plan to get Sims some playing time. If HH has another good week, go with him for Michigan. Can play Sims if things go south bad in that game. 

Right now, I dont think we have a clear unquestionable #1.  I usually don’t like it, but there have been teams that have had some success with two QBs and you play the one with the momentum.  Right now that’s HH. 

And, even a normal sprain might cut back on his running some. ….or affect his throwing motion. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree with this. That’s why you don’t tell them the leash is short…..but it is. It has to be when you’re working on your 2nd, 3rd, 4th turnover of a game. There comes a time when you have to cut bait. That time was clearly before his 3rd turnover vs CU but it took an injury to put him on the sideline. When he gets back in a game, and he will, Rhule has to pull the plug quicker when things go south. Sims has to take care of the ball or get used to holding a clipboard.

Yeah.  I just hope we have a staff that knows how to handle this.  I recall Rhule rotating QBs in a game a few times successfully at Baylor.  Although I was irritated, it worked pretty well.  One was more of a runner, the other a passer.  

I also remember the 2AM & McCaffery ordeal.  Staff got tired of the turnovers and sat Martinez.  McCaffery brought energy and a spark vs NW and Penn State.  He brought hope.  Then they had him in passing situations 30 times and running & scrambling 30 times against Illinois when the defense couldn't tackle anyone.  He soon was put back on the pine in favor of 2AM.  Total chaos and a mess.  

Bottom line, it will be interesting to see if we are really rebuilding something, or just licking our lips and trying to win a game and take the pressure off that comes with it. 

Because the later would not mean we are rebuilding a program.  Eliminate turnovers and reduce penalties was the point of the offseason.  So I am sitting back to just watch and see...... 

By the way - I love the defense.  Hope the effort of the Blackshirts doesn't go to waste.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok….but I still like my idea. 

Start HH this week with the plan to get Sims some playing time. If HH has another good week, go with him for Michigan. Can play Sims if things go south bad in that game. 

Right now, I dont think we have a clear unquestionable #1.  I usually don’t like it, but there have been teams that have had some success with two QBs and you play the one with the momentum.  Right now that’s HH. 

And, even a normal sprain might cut back on his running some. ….or affect his throwing motion. 

Yes, I like it too.  Can be good with both.  We agree to roll with HH, but give him a few chances also to respond if he poo-poos a few times.... like they did with Sims.  And if it's doing okay and not broke again, don't f#&% with it again.  :)  If it sputters and getting nowhere, bring on Sims.  Personally, I think they should have a few packages for the backup to run a series in first and second half.  I mean, it's not like we have Joe Montana running the show.  

• TBH 1

1 minute ago, admo said:

Yeah.  I just hope we have a staff that knows how to handle this.  I recall Rhule rotating QBs in a game a few times successfully at Baylor.  Although I was irritated, it worked pretty well.  One was more of a runner, the other a passer.  

I also remember the 2AM & McCaffery ordeal.  Staff got tired of the turnovers and sat Martinez.  McCaffery brought energy and a spark vs NW and Penn State.  He brought hope.  Then they had him in passing situations 30 times and running & scrambling 30 times against Illinois when the defense couldn't tackle anyone.  He soon was put back on the pine in favor of 2AM.  Total chaos and a mess.  

Bottom line, it will be interesting to see if we are really rebuilding something, or just licking our lips and trying to win a game and take the pressure off that comes with it. 

Because the later would not mean we are rebuilding a program.  Eliminate turnovers and reduce penalties was the point of the offseason.  So I am sitting back to just watch and see...... 

By the way - I love the defense.  Hope the effort of the Blackshirts doesn't go to waste.  

I agree, it’s not ideal either way. The answer to our QB woes is obviously not currently on the roster. Until we have an answer in the QB room, I think all he can do is lick his lips and go with whatever works at the time. Unfortunately it appears that the portal pick up was a shot that isn’t panning out. Gonna have to give it another go next year and hopefully also get some QB recruits.

The biggest help would be getting the OL rebuilt into something respectable so that we have better opportunity with some better QBs. Still think we could’ve landed Raiola if he would’ve thought he wouldn’t get murdered back there.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, admo said:

They can still be doing a lot to build the program even if neither of this year’s QBs are the answer. 

Your comment about the defense is evidence of that. 

• Plus1 1

I agree, it’s not ideal either way. The answer to our QB woes is obviously not currently on the roster. Until we have an answer in the QB room, I think all he can do is lick his lips and go with whatever works at the time. Unfortunately it appears that the portal pick up was a shot that isn’t panning out. Gonna have to give it another go next year and hopefully also get some QB recruits.

The biggest help would be getting the OL rebuilt into something respectable so that we have better opportunity with some better QBs. Still think we could’ve landed Raiola if he would’ve thought he wouldn’t get murdered back there.

All good points @JJ Husker  as usual !  :) 

• Plus1 1

The answers to these positions are not currently on the roster:

QB

OL

WR

That's only like 95% of an offense.  Seems fine.  No worries. 

Get the bleeping bag men out and get guys like Raiola and Baker committed ASAP or this is just gonna continue.  We'll go round and round on here talking about the same crap until we're all dead.  :lol:

• TBH 1

I don't envy the decisions upcoming for the staff, but I've got two cents.

IF Haarberg gets the next start, or notable time in the next game or few games, be ready for his performance to come back closer to earth. He played his heart out and earned his praise for the week, but also had a handful of factors setting him up for success that won't always be there. One is the talent level of the competition, another is the offense being somewhat stripped down to make it manageable for him.

• TBH 1
20 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I think we need to have both ready.  This team is trying to get some offense going. If there’s no number 1 QB so be it. Rotate them both. But HH deserves to get the start next week. If he plays well keep it going. I’d tell Sims he will get some series next week and let him focus on a few things, not running the offense for 4 quarters.

If we’re really going to run our QB in the Big Ten, we need to have 14 quarterbacks ready.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2