Potential Assistant coach change(s)

We are 5 games into the season and I am not calling for anyone's head. That being said could we see some changes to the staff for next season?

Some possibilities:

Josh Martin- replaced Wager but felt like he was filling the void more than being hired for the role. Does Rhule hire another coach.

Raiola- I don't believe Dylan was the sole reason Raiola was retained but did it play any part at all and after 2 season at Nebraska, does Rhule make a change. 

Possible replacement:

Jake Peetz- almost came on board last year but appeared to be a better nfl opportunity that seemingly never materialized. Does he join Nebraska this off-season?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Martin: Coaching experience wise, I think he was actually an upgrade from Wager. I think he’s done fine so far. I think he probably stays

Barthel: I don’t love that our bell cow starter from last year dropped to third on the depth chart under his tutelage. Also hard to evaluate when 2 of the top 3 starters are gone 3 weeks into the season. I think he probably stays. 

Satterfield: I wasn’t wowed by his hire. But with the kind of offense Rhule has talked about running here, I think he’s serviceable. I think Neb has had a run of coaches who think they have to outsmart everyone and show that they’re the smartest guy in the stadium. My hope was Satt would kind of buck that trend and just be a safe, efficient play caller. No need to get cute. There’s times where I see that from him and times where I don’t. Probably stays but I wouldn’t be shocked if he took a job elsewhere. 

McGuire: Did not like the hire at all. WRs haven’t been terribly involved offensively so I don’t think there’s much to judge him on at this point. I think he probably stays. 

Raiola: I did not like retaining him. What were the sheer odds that the best possible OL coach that Rhule could find just happened to be the guy that was already here? I wish Rhule had done what Fickell did, and gotten a 30 year veteran OL coach. He didn’t and the OL looks basically the same as last year. My gut says he probably takes a job elsewhere at the end of the season. My concern with Rhule replacing him though is that Rhule tends to hire young coaches with very little experience. Are we better off with a less than inspiring Raiola or a 20something with a thin coaching resume? 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3
3 hours ago, Fru said:

Raiola: I did not like retaining him. What were the sheer odds that the best possible OL coach that Rhule could find just happened to be the guy that was already here? I wish Rhule had done what Fickell did, and gotten a 30 year veteran OL coach. He didn’t and the OL looks basically the same as last year. My gut says he probably takes a job elsewhere at the end of the season. My concern with Rhule replacing him though is that Rhule tends to hire young coaches with very little experience. Are we better off with a less than inspiring Raiola or a 20something with a thin coaching resume? 

I was kind of 'meh' on his retention. He was considered a really strong up and coming coach in 2021 and I think he was also a finalist for Stanford's o-line. And Mickey Joseph was quoted in 2022 as saying he thought the o-line's problems were more related to depth and recruiting than they were Raiola's coaching. And now Raiola is in year two with an entirely different staff and offense, but the same underwhelming players.

But yeah, so far the unit hasn't gelled super well. They were pretty bad last year. The eye test seems roughly approximate to where they were last year but IDK what the stats will say come season end. That said I'm expecting most of the staff to stay for next season, even Raiola.

• Plus1 1

Raiola has to go. Even before the end of the season, but I have no clue who would coach them for the remainder of the year. 

Satterfield I think probably will be given another year at least. The offense could be alright if it could find an identity and do that well. Right now it doesn't do anything reliably, maybe sadness causing, but nothing else. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I still don't get the hate for Raiola.  He didn't recruit any of these kids.  They were bad the two years before he got here and by all accounts sounds like he was handcuffed last year.  They do look slightly improved this year.  At least they can pick up a stunt and run block a little better.  

You may not be wrong, there has been a glimmer here and there where they look serviceable- namely with the run blocking schemes. But gooood golly that pass pro, especially from the tackles...who needs to watch horror movies this Halloween when you can just watch THAT?

But it all circles back round to how much of that is the same guys being out there vs. Raiola's ability to coach and develop? I'm hoping to see continued improvement as get further in, especially against teams more our stature. 

It's really hard to say anyone at this point.  I guess I look at the money we had to spend and the guys we got.  McQuire at 23 was an odd hire.  I'd think some one with more experience. Although in his defense, who do we have that is a game changer to date at receiver?  AND the past 3 years our best WR has been a portal transfer guy.  Not one that was recruited and developed by the staff.

Raiola is an easy scape goat as the OL is incredibly bad.  BUT they stunk the majority of Frost's 5 years and still struggles now.  Frost did no favors to the following staff regardless of who it is and what position.  Frost flat out recruited and developed no one.  

Not sold on Satt as SC was incredibly happy to have him gone.  He doesn't seem to be in sync with Rhule's vision, but Rhule said today that we know who we are and what we want to do, but that always won't translate to success on the field (something to that effect).  And with the talent we lack at skill positions, the OL play and the QB inability to be a threat in the passing game I am confident TO would struggle.  Or Saban, or Dabo, or insert name here HC....

Honestly, they'll all probably come back if they choose to and will be prior to year 3 when changes are made.  And that 2024 schedule.....Damn.  Unsure if Rhule will have his turn around history.  Almost like the B1G wants to make sure that doesn't happen....:D

I think the easy answer is that Raiola goes due to o-line performance. Well, strength and conditioning; as well as the athletic ability of the players I think have had a bigger impact on the results.  So I’m good with Raiola staying.

McGuire — too early to tell.  Surprised by the hire.  His group has had minimal impact, but again, quality of players is a factor.

I’m good with keeping the staff intact.  Some consistency and continuity would be appreciated.  
Lastly, Rhule was given a blank check to assemble the best staff.  I wish he would have done that.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1