RB/DB Ronnell Grixby

I thought we have backed off a little to see how much of a team player he is. Rumor has it, at one of his basketball games he came down with a case of poor attitude. Like I said that is just a rumor.

Well if you want to see for yourself how he deals with adversity and are in or near Omaha Saturday night, go check out Omaha Central playing against the #4 HS team in the country Montverde (Fla.) Academy at the Qwest Saturday night.

Don't know if it is posted elsewhere but at the bottom of article it talks about revoking his offer.

Published Sunday | February 11, 2007

Recruiting 2008: Region's juniors are a gold mine

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Elkhorn junior Trevor Robinson received a text message on his cell phone last week from Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr.

"Please call," it read.

Want to guess what Robinson did next?

He called, of course, and the Wolverines were the latest to offer a scholarship. It added to an impressive list of college programs in pursuit of Robinson that includes Nebraska, Notre Dame, Boston College, Kansas, Iowa and Texas A&M.

The 6-foot-5, 300-pound lineman is on a fast track to become the most highly recruited prospect ever from his Class B school. In fact, the recruiting attention given Robinson has already eclipsed Jay Moore, the former Nebraska defensive end out of Elkhorn set to land this spring in the NFL draft.

With signing day '07 barely in the books, Robinson ranks as a preliminary top-100 recruit nationally for the class of 2008 - one of two in the state of Nebraska atop a senior class next fall that appears to rank as the state's best in several years.

Lincoln Southwest lineman Baker Steinkuhler was recently named to the rivals.com 24-player junior All-America team and figures to rank among the top five at his position next season.

Southwest coach Mark King goes a step further.

"He's the best lineman in the country," King said. "As far as the whole package, he is the best football player that I've ever coached. I can just tell you right now, there is no better offensive lineman in the country than him, and I've never said that about anybody.

"Nobody's faster, stronger or has a better attitude at his size. You hear about a lot of these kids who work hard, but there's a small percentage who really do it every day and are at the top of that list. Baker is one of those guys."

Steinkuhler committed to Nebraska in September, hours after the Huskers offered. His decision surprised few, considering his father, Dean, won the Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award at NU in 1983, and his brother, Ty, is a sophomore defensive lineman in Lincoln.

Baker Steinkuhler, at 6-foot-5, has been clocked over 40 yards in 4.9 seconds. He's added about 20 pounds since November, King said, to reach a solid 290.

"This kid has got a chance to take all kinds of trips all over the country, but he wants to be here," the coach said. "He's very close to his mother, his whole family, and really down to earth. Traveling and going to all these neat places, I'm pretty sure he'll have time for that down the road."

Robinson isn't really into extending his college decision, either. He gained important exposure last summer by traveling to several camps and would like to visit a few schools during spring practice this year.

Then, he said, it's probably time for a decision before the start of his senior year.

"I'd like to get up to Ann Arbor, (Mich.)," he said. "I've seen a lot of the other places. I really don't see it as that big of a distraction. It's not much of an issue compared to playing more football. I don't want recruiting to be something that will hurt my senior year."

Said Elkhorn coach Mark Wortman: "His feet are planted firmly on the ground."

No matter how you look at it, Robinson is no lock for the Huskers, who signed three Nebraskans this year, four last year, three in 2005 and five in coach Bill Callahan's first recruiting class.

Another top-100 junior, 6-7, 295-pound lineman Dan Hoch of Harlan, Iowa, has also committed to Nebraska, as has Omaha Westside running back Collins Okafor.

The Huskers have offered a scholarship to Millard North junior safety Sean Fisher.

Additionally, NU has revoked its scholarship offer to Omaha Central junior Ronnell Grixby. Grixby, the brother of Nebraska cornerback Cortney Grixby and former I-back DeAntae Grixby, was offered by the Huskers in September with Robinson and Steinkuhler.

Ronnell Grixby recently did not play in two Central basketball games for what was believed to be disciplinary reasons. He has returned to the court. Central football coach Jay Ball declined to give specifics on the situation involving the NU scholarship.

"My loyalties are with Ronnell and his family," Ball said

Don't know if it is posted elsewhere but at the bottom of article it talks about revoking his offer.

Published Sunday | February 11, 2007

Recruiting 2008: Region's juniors are a gold mine

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Elkhorn junior Trevor Robinson received a text message on his cell phone last week from Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr.

"Please call," it read.

Want to guess what Robinson did next?

He called, of course, and the Wolverines were the latest to offer a scholarship. It added to an impressive list of college programs in pursuit of Robinson that includes Nebraska, Notre Dame, Boston College, Kansas, Iowa and Texas A&M.

The 6-foot-5, 300-pound lineman is on a fast track to become the most highly recruited prospect ever from his Class B school. In fact, the recruiting attention given Robinson has already eclipsed Jay Moore, the former Nebraska defensive end out of Elkhorn set to land this spring in the NFL draft.

With signing day '07 barely in the books, Robinson ranks as a preliminary top-100 recruit nationally for the class of 2008 - one of two in the state of Nebraska atop a senior class next fall that appears to rank as the state's best in several years.

Lincoln Southwest lineman Baker Steinkuhler was recently named to the rivals.com 24-player junior All-America team and figures to rank among the top five at his position next season.

Southwest coach Mark King goes a step further.

"He's the best lineman in the country," King said. "As far as the whole package, he is the best football player that I've ever coached. I can just tell you right now, there is no better offensive lineman in the country than him, and I've never said that about anybody.

"Nobody's faster, stronger or has a better attitude at his size. You hear about a lot of these kids who work hard, but there's a small percentage who really do it every day and are at the top of that list. Baker is one of those guys."

Steinkuhler committed to Nebraska in September, hours after the Huskers offered. His decision surprised few, considering his father, Dean, won the Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award at NU in 1983, and his brother, Ty, is a sophomore defensive lineman in Lincoln.

Baker Steinkuhler, at 6-foot-5, has been clocked over 40 yards in 4.9 seconds. He's added about 20 pounds since November, King said, to reach a solid 290.

"This kid has got a chance to take all kinds of trips all over the country, but he wants to be here," the coach said. "He's very close to his mother, his whole family, and really down to earth. Traveling and going to all these neat places, I'm pretty sure he'll have time for that down the road."

Robinson isn't really into extending his college decision, either. He gained important exposure last summer by traveling to several camps and would like to visit a few schools during spring practice this year.

Then, he said, it's probably time for a decision before the start of his senior year.

"I'd like to get up to Ann Arbor, (Mich.)," he said. "I've seen a lot of the other places. I really don't see it as that big of a distraction. It's not much of an issue compared to playing more football. I don't want recruiting to be something that will hurt my senior year."

Said Elkhorn coach Mark Wortman: "His feet are planted firmly on the ground."

No matter how you look at it, Robinson is no lock for the Huskers, who signed three Nebraskans this year, four last year, three in 2005 and five in coach Bill Callahan's first recruiting class.

Another top-100 junior, 6-7, 295-pound lineman Dan Hoch of Harlan, Iowa, has also committed to Nebraska, as has Omaha Westside running back Collins Okafor.

The Huskers have offered a scholarship to Millard North junior safety Sean Fisher.

Additionally, NU has revoked its scholarship offer to Omaha Central junior Ronnell Grixby. Grixby, the brother of Nebraska cornerback Cortney Grixby and former I-back DeAntae Grixby, was offered by the Huskers in September with Robinson and Steinkuhler.

Ronnell Grixby recently did not play in two Central basketball games for what was believed to be disciplinary reasons. He has returned to the court. Central football coach Jay Ball declined to give specifics on the situation involving the NU scholarship.

"My loyalties are with Ronnell and his family," Ball said

Can he earn it back? That's the question.

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

That's unfortunate. It would have been cool to keep the Grixby pipeline to NU, but if he has attitude problems, then forget it. At least he didn't rob a bank to buy a plane ticket to see his foreign exchange student girlfriend like the third Shanle.