Your 2024 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Undone

18 hours ago, Undone said:

Does anybody know when Purdy will have groin surgery?

Had it last week, per HOL.  6-12 week recovery.  So he should be ready for the start of spring practice.

Gifford had a "similar procedure" as well.  Speculation that would make it very hard to try to do pre-draft stuff.  So that may limit his options to coming back for another year or calling it a career.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Hutmacher practicing with the wrestling team.  Would need to get down to 285 to compete.  Listed at 331 on the football roster.

He's free to do what he wants and I hope he's successful in both.  But, I'm not really a fan of this, as a football fan.

I wonder if, after he's done playing football for Nebraska, he really would rather not do the NFL and keep wrestling.  

• Plus1 1

I have us at 93 scholarships at the moment, counting the incoming freshman.  There was speculation earlier that a couple of the incoming guys would just be on NIL deals but HOL is saying that's not the case.  However, there might be an older guy or two that are just on NIL.  There were said to be 3-4 of them last year, although with how the numbers worked out there would only have had to be a couple.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I have us at 93 scholarships at the moment, counting the incoming freshman.  There was speculation earlier that a couple of the incoming guys would just be on NIL deals but HOL is saying that's not the case.  However, there might be an older guy or two that are just on NIL.  There were said to be 3-4 of them last year, although with how the numbers worked out there would only have had to be a couple.

I think the 5th year (or 6th year) seniors we brought in last year were on the NIL schollys (Fleeks, Kemp, Ortiz)

And maybe IGC wasn't on a real scholly as well.

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think the 5th year (or 6th year) seniors we brought in last year were on the NIL schollys (Fleeks, Kemp, Ortiz)

And maybe IGC wasn't on a real scholly as well.

I had Fleeks and Ortiz on my list.  Kemp would make sense as well.

IGC is one I've seen speculation on now.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Does this account for the Crisp decommitment?  I thought you were at 93 before he decommitted.  

Edit:  Sorry, I could have looked myself and see that he's not on the list.

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Why are you not a fan?

Admittedly, there are obviously people within the programs that know way more than me.

The questions I have, does the football team want him to cut that much weight?  If not, will he be able to put back on the weight (as good weight) before football next year?  What football workouts is he not doing while wrestling and how can that affect his performance next year?  And...yes, I recognize that wrestling can also help with working on balance, leverage...etc when playing football.  I like linemen that wrestled in HS because of this.

I've just never noticed a player doing this really helping in the main sport they play.

• Haha 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Admittedly, there are obviously people within the programs that know way more than me.

The questions I have, does the football team want him to cut that much weight?  If not, will he be able to put back on the weight (as good weight) before football next year?  What football workouts is he not doing while wrestling and how can that affect his performance next year?  And...yes, I recognize that wrestling can also help with working on balance, leverage...etc when playing football.  I like linemen that wrestled in HS because of this.

I've just never noticed a player doing this really helping in the main sport they play.

I can agree if he really has to cut that much weight. To be honest, I've never believed the weights (or heights) they list are all that accurate. Stemming from my college days and interacting with guys in classes that were clearly not what was listed.  My initial reaction was it would be good from the balance and leverage side as you mentioned also.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming HH and Purdy stay, and both Raiola and Kaelin sign, how comfortable are you with that room next year?

Rhule still might go after another QB in the portal but there’s been no chatter of that since McCord. So if those are our 4 for next year, we going bowling?

I think Purdy would be in the driver’s seat due to his experience. He had flashes of being serviceable last year but I’m not sold that he could lead us to the promised land (bowl eligibility, lol). Raiola certainly has all the tools to be a superstar but grown man football in the Big10 is a daunting task to throw at an 18 year old. And I don’t know if this program can handle growing pains in our first 7 games. In my opinion we’ve got to win 6 of those first 7 if we want to go bowling because our last 5 are brutal. This state can’t handle another postseason on the outside looking in.

• TBH 1
27 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Assuming HH and Purdy stay, and both Raiola and Kaelin sign, how comfortable are you with that room next year?

Rhule still might go after another QB in the portal but there’s been no chatter of that since McCord. So if those are our 4 for next year, we going bowling?

I think Purdy would be in the driver’s seat due to his experience. He had flashes of being serviceable last year but I’m not sold that he could lead us to the promised land (bowl eligibility, lol). Raiola certainly has all the tools to be a superstar but grown man football in the Big10 is a daunting task to throw at an 18 year old. And I don’t know if this program can handle growing pains in our first 7 games. In my opinion we’ve got to win 6 of those first 7 if we want to go bowling because our last 5 are brutal. This state can’t handle another postseason on the outside looking in.

If your qb assumption is correct & I hope so, I think the next position is RB & WR. 

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

Given what we have at QB, I think the starting job is Raiola's to lose if he commits here.  As you said,  Purdy has shown some flashes,  but I haven't seen anything from him that suggests that an elite QB coming out of HS couldn't play at his level,  if not better.   HH shouldn't be in the conversation as a starter,  and Kaelin just doesn't look like a start-day-one kind of prospect.  It's a scary thought trusting a true freshman to lead the offense right away,  but it's less scary than rolling with what we have now in my opinion.  

3 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

Given what we have at QB, I think the starting job is Raiola's to lose if he commits here.  As you said,  Purdy has shown some flashes,  but I haven't seen anything from him that suggests that an elite QB coming out of HS couldn't play at his level,  if not better.   HH shouldn't be in the conversation as a starter,  and Kaelin just doesn't look like a start-day-one kind of prospect.  It's a scary thought trusting a true freshman to lead the offense right away,  but it's less scary than rolling with what we have now in my opinion.  

It wouldn't be the first time we've started a true freshman, in fact it has happened very recently if you recall. :thumbs