Jump to content


How Many Games Will the Huskers Win in 2024?


Win Total  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts


Definitely understand the reasonings as I'm one to drink the Rhule-aid but man we are getting a ton of hype post spring considering where we have been for damn near a decade at this point. Top third in one of the two toughest conferences in college football would be great but I need a little show me first.

  • Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Definitely understand the reasonings as I'm one to drink the Rhule-aid but man we are getting a ton of hype post spring considering where we have been for damn near a decade at this point. Top third in one of the two toughest conferences in college football would be great but I need a little show me first.

The hype was there with Riley, the hype was there with Frost.  Not believing anything until they actually do something.   I used to buy into "might as well get hyped and enjoy it as a fan!"  but I am honestly meh right now.  Waaaaayyyyy too many times they have underperformed expectations for me to even put energy into any hype right now. 

 

 Some of this is no doubt all the changes in college football, the transfer portal, etc.   Makes it harder every year to care about players and have any sort of confidence in progression of teams. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Some pretty high expectations for Nebraska in the media world.   Let's check back in after the 1st 8 games.   If we can win 6 out of the 8 then I'll get on the  :koolaid2:train.    If we win the first 7 games and we are not decimated by OSU then there is real reason for the hype.   Win the first 7 and get blown out by OSU like we did against Michigan last year .. then not so much. 

Link to comment

9 is goal 

8 is a relief

7 is okay 

6 is underperforming 

5 is a disaster 

4 is dark dark days. 
 

so I’ll go w 8, finally a relief. 
but 9 is totally achievable if we don’t have turnovers and penalties that kill us. Prove us wrong Cornhuskers, get 9 

  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, I am I said:

9 is goal 

8 is a relief

7 is okay 

6 is underperforming 

5 is a disaster 

4 is dark dark days.

 

I like this, this lines up roughly with descriptions of win totals I'd give. I'd maybe change 8 from being "a relief" to being "pretty decent."

 

There's enough talent to win 8 this year, even though it would maybe be asking a lot of Raiola to help get us to that point. But 8 is doable.

 

I still think we need a pretty much complete culture overhaul to get to 8-9 in any season, but what I saw last year was that Rhule is very good in that department.

 

Pretty sure I voted for 7 wins when this poll first popped up but if we struggle with turnovers again even that isn't going to happen.

 

 

Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Undone said:

But 8 is doable.

 

I would certainly hope so. 8 was doable last year. When you play almost every game as close as we did last year with that big of a turnover discrepancy, it takes almost nothing to go from 5 to 8 wins. There's a damn good reason those future bets are set at 7.5 and Nebraska is almost unanimously getting praise entering this season. I'd like to think this team will be much improved from last year.

 

44 minutes ago, Undone said:

I still think we need a pretty much complete culture overhaul to get to 8-9 in any season, but what I saw last year was that Rhule is very good in that department.

 

I'll be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about. You will not find a finer culture in college football than we have right now. Furthest thing from a need, imo.

  • TBH 2
Link to comment

On 6/6/2024 at 6:28 AM, teachercd said:

Okay, I looked at the Iowa schedule, my god, it is lame.   I would totally hit the over 7.5 wins for them.

 

If there is one thing that lets them keep building bigger and fancier casinos, it's betting on lines that initially look like a sure thing.

 

I'm not saying Iowa can't win 8 or more games, but there's probably a very good reason that line seems so suspicious.

 

Starting with Iowa last year. Despite having the 4th best scoring defense in the nation, they only scored 9 more points than their opponents because they had the second worst scoring offense. Yes, they only scored 9 more points yet won 10 games. By win expectation, they should have won half of their games, or 7. So they ended up winning 3 more than expected.

 

The defense will have a tough time meeting that same lofty standard, but will the offense be better? Many people think the reason the offense routinely sucks has less to do with the OC and more to do with the HC. The spring didn't seem to provide much reason to dispute that. New OC, very similar offense. QB is still a mystery (in all the worst ways), WR is almost non-existent, and despite an extremely heavy dose of 2 tight end sets, their running game really isn't very good (3.3 ypc as a team, though Williams avg 4.8). Getting healthy at tight end will help, but they're going to need a lot more than that to make this offense anything better than putrid. This isn't a team that had a poor offense because of turnovers as they were top 20 in fewest giveaways. They were bad because they were simply bad.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don’t care that our schedule is easy. This team needs to know what it’s like to win. We also need to get a true freshman QB comfortable before the second half of the season. 

 

Sometimes winning comes from just having the dudes to make a system function. When the talent or ability is true, it eases the psyche when you're preparing and playing. Nebraska's close games were due to offensive blunders or inability to make that one or two extra plays to seal the deal. That's added stress on a defense and it causes them to play safe and not take chances, which is the main reason for the lack of turnovers despite having good defenses over the last 4 years. There will be a few games this season where Nebraska just overwhelms the other team and there will be no sign of stress. (this is a major component of the scheduling philosophy)

 

I am not saying this team is perfect, but if Dylan is giving us a B to B+ output, Nebraska is going to pull away from a lot of teams in the BIG and fast. It's really been the difference and why the Purdues, Illinois, and even Iowa has had a chance to beat us or is. 

 

I know some will scoff at the Iowa mention and I give them the credit for doing what they do, but it's the end of the road for them and that style going forward and Nebraska has surpassed them in the offseason just by proper talent acquisition and development. 

  • Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Vince R. said:

 

Sometimes winning comes from just having the dudes to make a system function. When the talent or ability is true, it eases the psyche when you're preparing and playing. Nebraska's close games were due to offensive blunders or inability to make that one or two extra plays to seal the deal. That's added stress on a defense and it causes them to play safe and not take chances, which is the main reason for the lack of turnovers despite having good defenses over the last 4 years. There will be a few games this season where Nebraska just overwhelms the other team and there will be no sign of stress. (this is a major component of the scheduling philosophy)

 

I am not saying this team is perfect, but if Dylan is giving us a B to B+ output, Nebraska is going to pull away from a lot of teams in the BIG and fast. It's really been the difference and why the Purdues, Illinois, and even Iowa has had a chance to beat us or is. 

 

I know some will scoff at the Iowa mention and I give them the credit for doing what they do, but it's the end of the road for them and that style going forward and Nebraska has surpassed them in the offseason just by proper talent acquisition and development. 

Yes. And sometimes, players don’t believe the team can win and that affects their ability to make plays in those tight games. Long so many like that over the last few years affects the confidence in those moments.  

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...